spark plug replacement

SCOOTA44

Anyone else found that they are getting more mileage after replacing the spark plugs?

It has only been 2 or so weeks but this last tank has gone 80k over the point that it usually complains about being on empty.... And I havn't gone on any long drives.

I'm a little freaked out at this because if it is true then that means over the last 3 years I have wasted a hell of a lot of fuel.

Camry and Aurion will need new SPs. I'm thinking about http://sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=1433266&pid=41406 Any opinions?

I can't imagine any reason why they won't be just as good. As long as they are of the required specification, they should be right. For things like this though, I guess personal preference comes into play. I personally like to stick with a well trusted brand and since the OEM Denso ones haven't let me down, I don't see a need to move away from them.

Hi,

can anybody comfirm what these are suited to?

DENSO Irridium, have also seen them on ebay for sale out of the US.

Part no. SK20R11.

My brother in law used to work for Toyota spares and he thinks they maybe for an Aurion.

Looking at comments on this thread, the correct part number should be FK20HR11.

He gave them to me in a Toyota Genuine Spare Parts box.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I'm to work, but for future reference, I usually order from Rockauto.com, the int shipping is amazingly cheap and there prices are astronomically cheaper than AU and other U.S sites. Just a hands up, RA dont supply after market sports parts and modified auto parts just OEM. They have probably the largest range, you may have to call Sprints or someone who can cross reference the parts so your absolutely sure to get the correct U.S to AU part.

Cya

Guys I'm to work, but for future reference, I usually order from Rockauto.com, the int shipping is amazingly cheap and there prices are astronomically cheaper than AU and other U.S sites. Just a hands up, RA dont supply after market sports parts and modified auto parts just OEM. They have probably the largest range, you may have to call Sprints or someone who can cross reference the parts so your absolutely sure to get the correct U.S to AU part.

Cya

I just went into that website and they had over 5 other non OEM branded spark plugs listed for the 2grfe.

Are you affiliated with the site or just unconsciously incompetent at giving advice?

I just went into that website and they had over 5 other non OEM branded spark plugs listed for the 2grfe.

Are you affiliated with the site or just unconsciously incompetent at giving advice?

Whilst it may appear that this is the case, I think there may have been some misunderstandings in the wording. Whilst they do supply other brands of spark plug brands that are non-OEM to the 2GR-FE, the brands themselves are OEM brands... just for different car manufacturers. So technically they are dealing with OEM parts.... just not exactly OEM specific to the car you are purchasing them for.

That's my understanding too.

Not affiliated in anyway, but found to be the cheapest, and up to date prices. You can shop anywhere you wish, Summit and other sites don't regularly update prices, e.g Summit Goodyear poly V serpentine belt $49! but under $20 everywhere else.

back to title topic :

either 2 are recommended. Each to their own though.

DENSO Part #

NGK Part #

What price range should I be looking at these days:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Pieces-Denso-FK20HR11-Long-Life-Iridium-Spark-Plugs-/120839287743?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c229533bf

Found that. Can someone source these for a better price else where?

http://www.ebay.com....=item1c229533bf

That one comes to over $107 delivered. Searching on eBay there is another listing in Australia which come to $84 delivered.

Did you search for FK20HR11 or something else?

Expensive mate!! USPS sucks imo had loads of missed parcels through them!

What's funny is SupaCheapAuto offered staff discount on NGK DILFR6D11 and still ended up $50 more than US with Express overnight!

Look at these prices via RA FedX and Air express! "SET OF 6 NOT 4!"

Wish we can order from China or Thailand, I saw a documentary in January of the Thailand factory making NGK and Denso plugs by hand!! stating there worth $1.50 and Western Powers distribute them for $$$ think it was on 60 minutes..

post-27857-0-49187300-1332649705_thumb.j

post-27857-0-37993000-1332649707_thumb.j

Edited by challengethemasters

That one comes to over $107 delivered. Searching on eBay there is another listing in Australia which come to $84 delivered.

Yea I did, can you please link me to the website.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-Denso-Iridium-Long-Spark-Plug-FK20HR11-Toyota-Aurion-RAV4-Tarago-2GRFE-/270938575329?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f153291e1#ht_1142wt_1396

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1142wt_1396

Awesome thanks man. I owe you one. Before I bought these I called up my two local Toyota dealers. See if they can do better so I can pick it up locally.

One quoted $40 each and one quoted $36.38 each. ****** me is all I gotta say! Didn't even bother to ask them to price match $12.50 each after hearing those prices lol.

I just bought these off the guy. Will report back on my experience dealing with this guy etc and when plugs are in etc :)

can the rear spark plugs be replaced without removing intake manifold ?

I'd like to retract my statement from before and say that the chance of changing the spark plugs without removing the intake plenum (referred to as surge tank in the manual), is pretty damn slim.

... they were in good nick compared to the new ones but very exe $141 a set.

Hehehe, got mine for $118 a set. But yeah, the tips of my plugs were in great condition. It's good to know it was working well.

dsc05615b.jpg

the guys had a bit of fun getting the plenum chamber off (bracket behind left side of chamber) but this was their first one so the next one that needs doing they got the tools and method to do it a bit quicker.

Kudos to them for managing to get that bolt off without removing the windscreen hardware. I tried everything to get around it but just couldn't. I had to resort to the service manual method.

Speaking of which, I will do a quick guide (a rough one) to show what to do to access the spark plugs on the rear bank. Refer to next post.

DJKOR, what spark plugs were in your car? Your tips look much fatter than my FK20HR11.

DJKOR, what spark plugs were in your car? Your tips look much fatter than my FK20HR11.

That image you quoted was a photo taken of the spark plug that came out out my engine which was fitted at factory. It was the stock DENSO part. If you think it looks fatter, take a macro shot of your plugs from and compare it, because things look different when comparing an enlarged photo to the actual part.

On that note, looks like Toyota have changed their packaging (not that it matters) because when I ordered my first set of plugs directly from Toyota spares, they came in DENSO branded packaging. Shame they didn't change the price to a better one while they were at it.

I can't see the diff in size. I still have my old one at home if you want me to take a pic as well.

When I bought mine online from the US (TRDParts) they came in the red Toyota Packaging.

That image you quoted was a photo taken of the spark plug that came out out my engine which was fitted at factory. It was the stock DENSO part. If you think it looks fatter, take a macro shot of your plugs from and compare it, because things look different when comparing an enlarged photo to the actual part.

On that note, looks like Toyota have changed their packaging (not that it matters) because when I ordered my first set of plugs directly from Toyota spares, they came in DENSO branded packaging. Shame they didn't change the price to a better one while they were at it.

I thought this would be the case of just the camera making it look like that. Just double checking :)

I can't see the diff in size. I still have my old one at home if you want me to take a pic as well.

When I bought mine online from the US (TRDParts) they came in the red Toyota Packaging.

Nah, I believe ya. I had a feeling it would be the camera shot.

Also, can't believe I'm about to hit 90K in my car. I'm on 85K at the moment and my service is due next month. I should hit almost exactly 90K by then. First time ever I've serviced because of KM's and not time. lol

HEY GUYS!

I have been thinking long and hard as to why are people removing the Manifold, Air filter housing, throttle body, Vacume hose??

Remove windshield wiper cowl, unbolt and remove the windshield wipers, remove windshield wiper motor, unbolt the lower metal cowl, theres enough access the rear three cylinders.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just changed the spark plugs, and first thing that comes to mind is why on earth did DJKOR suggest to remove the Manifold, Air filter housing, throttle body, Vacuum hose replace gasket If anyone has one in stock! ??

I can understand from a point of view more room, but buying or waiting for the exhaust manifold gasket takes time and cost money. and there is a much simpler way of doing it.

Listen up....

I Removed the wind shield wiper cowl, unbolted and removed the windshield wipers, remove windshield wiper motor, unbolt the lower metal cowl, then unbolted the bracket that’s connected to the manifold and engine as it covers the 1st rear plug, (far left) disconnect all the clips and done!! There’s enough access the rear three cylinders, without any drama (and I'm not skinny or captain elastic too!!!) the last plug on the right is tricky just unbolt the wiring brackets then shift the wiring up and slide the ignition coil out. Use a stool to stand on, or remove bonnet. FAQ needs to be updated!

About a 20 - 30 minute job.

No need to make it sound like I was the one giving sh!tt advice. I was simply performing the procedure as per the service manual written by Toyota. I started removing the intake manifold prior to removing the windscreen cowl etc, and then reached a point where I couldn't access the last bolt. At that point, I removed the cowl etc and continued along my merry way not intending on looking for an alternative way because I already had the gaskets.

That's great you found a way around it but no need to make a massive fuss about it and make it seem like the information provided here is useless. Write up your own guide with photos and post it here and I'll post it as a guide. Simple.