2008 Corolla Depressed Clutch

Hi folks,

My big pet hate with my Corolla (and really its probably the only one, i love this car) is the fact you need the clutch depressed to start the car. Problem 1 being it needs to be pushed hard onto the floor for it to work, if you slip it a little on start the car dies immediately.

I'd really love to know if its possible to disable this feature.

I'm taking the car tomorrow for its 20,000km service. Should I ask them if they can do it or is there any easier way to do it than asking the toyota service center.

imagine ur parked in the carpark and there is a pole infront of u, u accidently leave it in gear and start the car, it will ***** and your up shlt creek!

u can disable it, there is a switch on your clutch pedal, almost like a killswitch, wont start unless u press the clutch.

find this switch and bypass it... thing is not sure what else relies on this feature

does ur car have cruise control?? if so cruise comtrol is disabled when you press the clutch in aswell.... so if u go bridging the switch no cruise control anymore

anyone correct me if im wrong !!

Edited by 123R-Prozak

Nyawww, why is your clutch depresssed? :(

:P

I know it can be disabled on cars in general. We used to have some Getzs at work. One went into the 20k service and came out with the clutch switch disconnected. It was great..until we got it fixed again.

imagine ur parked in the carpark and there is a pole infront of u, u accidently leave it in gear and start the car, it will ***** and your up shlt creek!

u can disable it, there is a switch on your clutch pedal, almost like a killswitch, wont start unless u press the clutch.

find this switch and bypass it... thing is not sure what else relies on this feature

does ur car have cruise control?? if so cruise comtrol is disabled when you press the clutch in aswell.... so if u go bridging the switch no cruise control anymore

How many people park in gear with the handbrake off? I find I have my foot on the clutch regardless of whether the car needs it or not at startup, safeguarding against silly shift patterns on some boxes.

How many people park in gear with the handbrake off? I find I have my foot on the clutch regardless of whether the car needs it or not at startup, safeguarding against silly shift patterns on some boxes.

I think the real point here is, this is new to cars, manuals have been around for a long time and in the many years ive driven one i cant say ive just started into a pole by not having the clutch in. Its great to have safety features and all but when they become a huge inconvenience they just become frustrating features.

Likewise in the auto's how you have to have the brake depressed to take the car out of park, this is generally common sense, yet they include a button next to the shifter so you can hold it down and take the car out of park without your foot on the brake, seems like a bit of a waste of space. It'd be like them having a button to confirm "do you really want to beep the horn?"

Edited by midii

I do that all the time. I rarely use the handbrake, instead leaving it in reverse. Unless it's a decent sized hill I'm parking on.

I've seen and driven a lot of the new technology that comes out with toyota.. (mum works for toyota so that helps) :)

And after a while you get used to it, and it becomes habit. Sometimes i even do it with other cars. Its all for the better i guess, techonological improvements to make our cars better for the future. Its Toyota dude, wat can you expect.

I've seen and driven a lot of the new technology that comes out with toyota.. (mum works for toyota so that helps) :)

And after a while you get used to it, and it becomes habit. Sometimes i even do it with other cars. Its all for the better i guess, techonological improvements to make our cars better for the future. Its Toyota dude, wat can you expect.

hey johnnieboi does your mum work at CHQ?

Likewise in the auto's how you have to have the brake depressed to take the car out of park, this is generally common sense, yet they include a button next to the shifter so you can hold it down and take the car out of park without your foot on the brake, seems like a bit of a waste of space. It'd be like them having a button to confirm "do you really want to beep the horn?"

The reason for the button to allow you to take it out of park is most likely in the event you have a flat battery and need to move the car (tow or push) otherise if the battery is dead flat you have problems

this thread confuses me :huh: I thought you were meant to leave your car parked in gear with the handbrake off so you dont warp your rotors? always started cars with the clutch in regardless, how would it be an inconvenience?

hey johnnieboi does your mum work at CHQ?

CHQ? No idea wat that is. At the altona plant tho. I love dropping her off and driving in the carpark.. Toyota heaven.. lol

this thread confuses me :huh: I thought you were meant to leave your car parked in gear with the handbrake off so you dont warp your rotors? always started cars with the clutch in regardless, how would it be an inconvenience?

Myths or rules about leaving your car parked with the handbrake stem from Europe and North America where it often gets cold enough overnight to freeze moisture in the handbrake cables, thus jamming the handbrake on. Australia doesn't get cold enough to suffer these problems. Plus, since a large proportion of new cars use internal drum brakes for the handbrake (and a lot of small cars still have drums at the rear anyway) so warped rotors would be impossible (only way I could see this happening was if your brakes were _really_ hot and you jammed the handbrake on and left it there, leading to uneven cooling of the rotor (different dissipation through the pad or the air) and thus warping, but once again you wouldn't encounter this in normal driving.