Substitution Instrument Cluster

Niall

I have the SDV10 1994 Executive model, the instrument cluster on which doesn't include a tachometer. The SV21 I owned previously had a tach and the MCV20 I currently own (2nd car) has one. I find myself kind of lost without one in the current work hack. $45 for one from a Vienta, but will it simply plug into the loom on board my SDV10 Executive?

I have the SDV10 1994 Executive model, the instrument cluster on which doesn't include a tachometer. The SV21 I owned previously had a tach and the MCV20 I currently own (2nd car) has one. I find myself kind of lost without one in the current work hack. $45 for one from a Vienta, but will it simply plug into the loom on board my SDV10 Executive?

Doubt a V6 cluster would work perfectly (depending on how the tacho etc is signalled, as it'd be calibrated for a V6 not a 4-cyl), in saying that my parent's CSi SDV10 (facelift) has a tacho, so that cluster should in theory plug and play, Toyota looms generally are the same between tacho and non-tacho models to ease manufacturing

depending if the signal is v6 or I4 and there were very few tachos in the manual models i know mine didnt come with one, but from memory the CSI had them

After the facelift there were only CSi models, no Executives, and from memory they all had tachos

After the facelift there were only CSi models, no Executives, and from memory they all had tachos

There were Ultimas, Getaways, Intrigues and CSX as well, all different in their own way, and you may be right about the tacho

I believe all Gen 3 CSis, whether V6 or I4 had a tacho on them... my 94 CSI I4 had one.

It SHOULD be interchangeable, just make sure you got the right engine. if not, you might wanna just invest in an aftermarket one mate.

There were Ultimas, Getaways, Intrigues and CSX as well, all different in their own way, and you may be right about the tacho

I know there were other models, was implying after the facelift the CSi was the base model, as just before the facelift there were both CSi and Executive base models. And if the base model has a tacho standard, the rest of the range obviously will too.

My 1996 Csi - Camry , the update model has a tacho , being that its an 4cyl and an auto , the tacho is kind of pointless , being that the revs very rarely go over 4000 rpm. :rolleyes:

It is kind of nice to have though.

be careful, few years ago i contemplated same thing. executive has different wiring positions in the plug on rear of instruments. if plug same u may be able to change positions of wires. maybe contemplate an aftermarket tacho. :(

be careful, few years ago i contemplated same thing. executive has different wiring positions in the plug on rear of instruments. if plug same u may be able to change positions of wires. maybe contemplate an aftermarket tacho. :(

It's possible to do it, so long as you take the connector from the donor car too, chop the old harness and solder the new one on.

And yes, i4 and v6 tacho's/clusters are not compatible as they work off the ignition impulse from each spark of the engine.