AE82 Twincam

jaderd

Saw this car in the flesh today and in action. Mighty impressed i must say especially after taking the time to read this whole thread. Top job Simon especially with all the bargain hunting you have been doing. :)

Matt.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bought some new rims today, off melbourne gumtree.

Have been looking for the last month or so if anything i like popped up and these did.

Pretty sure they are Speedy Racing Fear

stats

15X6.5

ET 38

running 195/50/15 82H all round

Kuhmos all round, Ecsta SPT X2 and Ecsta Surpa X2 70% and 60% front to rear approx

got them for a pretty good price i reckon.

Just deciding as to whether i leave as are for now, go black with silver lip, go black all over, go black through powder coating or just go with painting myself for now and save some moolah re. taking tread off/ PC and tread back on, balance etc.

Thinking at moment have a bit of DIY fun and paint black with silver lip, they look as if they have been painted before, so will rub back etc, also some of the lip has lost its clear so was thinking i would rub lightly sand the lip back and finish with a real light grit paper etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated guys,

* please dont laught at my dodgy MS paint skills lol, if someone can photoshop in gloss black / matt black that would be great :)

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

595086_20.jpg

595086_2011.jpg

278125c_20.jpg

Edited by jaderd

Nice choice of rims. If you wanted some rims I would have given you my old 5 spoke rims off my old AE82 which i still got here for free. Oh well. :P

Hey Simon...another nice score :clap: imo paint them all black yourself 1st and if that goes wrong you can always pay someone to do em right.

A white twinky with all black spoked rims and a stance will look pretty tuff. ;)

Cheers guys,

Tofuboi - wanted someting with a bit of lip and atleast 7 spokes etc......these popped up and are basically exactly what i want.

Lee - i think i will go with the all black and do it myself, bit of fun.......dont really want to fork out another $250 to get PC and tread off/on etc.

for prepping the rims im guessing degrease, sand with varying grit ending on 1000/2000 or something then undercoat and some high temp paint or the mag wheel paint they sell, whats the best ?

Hey all,

just a quick update didnt do to much this weekend.

Although i did decide that i am going to to a polished lip with black spokes and centre on rims and see if i like it then can paint all black if no good.

Today just did a quick service on mates GF car....nova so 7afe which was nice and easy and did the following to twin cam

- Drove it for first time in 2 weeks :) was a great feeling - got my work car on wed 2010 black 3dr yaris YRS - full business and private use which is great.

- Fitted front fog lights (supercheap brand) had to remove bar etc and made it easier, have connected the earths from lights and test wired everything and they work a treat, will wait until i buy more wire and complete job soon.

IMAG0238.jpg

- Put my power punch 000 in passenger foot well, fits perfect in bike drink holder :)......i payed $9.99 on catch of the day.

IMAG0236.jpg

Some Info on it

NEW PRODUCT - Power Punch 000 Fire Supressor

TWO PACK RRP $59.99

SALE PRICE $49.99

Check out this amazing little product. Its the new Power Punch and is the compact alternative to a fire extinguisher with many advantages.

SAFE: No dangerous gases. It uses air as the propellant, so there is no risk of explosion even when stored in a hot car in summer. Can be used by the young and old. Non toxic. This also means this great little pack is safe to be sent around Australia by Post and can be carried on a plane.

EASY TO USE: Simple one touch aerosol function. No pins to pull. Simple aim and press.

EFFECTIVE POWER SPRAY: Powerful for all types of fires. 13 seconds of spray across approx 3 metres of range. Can be used multiple times until the can is empty. No need to shake, recharge or refill, will not rust or corrode, unlimited shelf life.

COMPACT FOR EASY STORAGE: Small size can is easily stored in the kitchen, bedroom, glovebox, garage, etc. Actual can height is 13cm.

APPLICATIONS: cooking fires in the kitchen, house fire, auto fire, fat fire, timber fire, curtain fire, BBQ fire, camping fires, electrical fires.

Ideal for meeting OHS requirements for the armed forces, safety officers, police, fire, ambulance services, industry etc. Meets all Australian Safety standards and testing. This is to become a revolutionary safety product in Australia. It is fast becoming the most sought after fire extingiusher replacement. Every home and office should have one.

Comes packaged in a nifty little box set containing two cans. Cost of postage and handling for this item anywhere in Australia is $15.

- Used the spare switch base on dash and cut space out so could clip in the switch supplied with the lights so thats ready for wiring too.

- Trimmed up edges of cressida lip and sanded smooth.

Thats it for now, cheers guys

IMAG0237.jpg

Edited by jaderd

Cheers Lee,

yeah they fixed everything, although they noticed and i noticed afew little scratches / abrasion spots on car.....front and rear bar etc and 2 little hail dints that were missed.....already booked in for first service on April 6th and will be kept for 1-2 days to fix all of this and give it a full going over.

Love the yaris very great little car lots of storage compartments.

yeah i noticed in the pic the headlight housings came up a bit darker than usual, think ill prob give it a go a headlights cheap as chips in these old cars.

the foglights are just the Supercheap auto brand and were $40.00 can get normal driving lights (same price not amber and different light spread) for same price, though i wanted the amber look and for fog use only etc, which i will use a bit as in doreen you get some fog heading to work some mornings.

bought VHT mag wheel paint, satin black and can of gloss for afterwards, mix of satin and clear should make it not too dull and not too glossy i think, great stuff the VHT mag paint as dont need any etching primer or normal primer, just clean, 320grit sand then away you go.

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

have an oil leak im looking to fix, it is at the oil filter plate, my motor is a "transition motor" the bigport 7 Rib presumably from an MR2 as the TVIS is upside down.

Ive wanted to make the change to the oil filter area anyway as the genie headers i have almost touch the oil filter.

The oil filter has the large plate like in the link below and i basically want to do the same change.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dreamsofdrifting.com/ae86/vibrant/P1030278.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dreamsofdrifting.com/ae86/vibrant/index.htm&usg=__bU6Gr-JeeRgT_hWi1JyCVssZ7-A=&h=525&w=700&sz=109&hl=en&start=17&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=axtzz8USoDR88M:&tbnh=105&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3D4age%2Boil%2Bfilter%2Bplate%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

Question is, my oil cooler has been sitting there at the front of my car not used as they obviously didnt connect it when they did the engine swap and if the motor is from an MR2 its likely then it didnt have a cooler.

so instead of swapping the plates to a 4AC or smallport 4AGE plate and blocking off the cooler parts could i just buy a union bolt and run the filter directly from the block like in link below ?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?16571-4age-Oil-filter-Mount

The car is just a weekend car and will be lucky to do 5000km a year.

The union bolt would be the easiest quickest fix and i figure i can then look into utilising the cooler in time ......although im thinking th sump may not have the oil return hole as its from an MR2 ?

cheers guys any advice would be great

Oil leak fixed, sandwich plate etc removed, just have the filter running straight from the block using the union bolt, bought it from toyota for $16. So that is all sorted and sweet.

Last night picked up a spare alternator off Nick from his work which is not far from home which worked out well...$30 bargain. Chucked it in today, all fairly easy prob took around 1 hour or bit more, went very smooth which i was happy about. Used the following link http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/alternator/alternator.html as a quick guide....but is really straight forward anyway....just a thing to remember with twincams alternator comes out from the bottom.

Took car for a fang, was great as havent driven it for over a month.

So now that the neccesities are done i will get back to the fun stuff.

Edited by jaderd

Picked up some new seats what i think is fairly cheap so couldnt really pass them up.

Not exactly sure of brand but bonus is they came already with some basic brackets which previous owner used to fit to 99 lancer so i should be able to utilise them to make an easier install onto my stock AE82 rails.

Pretty sure the stock AE82 rails can be taken from stock seat by simply unbolting and not ruining seat so that is my aim.

Will test on sat with passenger seat.

They are now sitting nicely shampoo'd n clean in garage.

Cheers

Sportsseatbase.jpg

SportsSeats.jpg

Edited by jaderd

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Got me some Skirt (white but SSV like this picking up tonight)

rolla003.jpg

Sock

brakereservoirsock.jpg

Pedals (screwed on not just clipped and have rubber aswell so legal)

sportspedals.jpg

Side of road lip ...dunno what its off but made it fit a treat

NewLip.jpg

cheers mate....might have my seats in by then, i have got the passenger one in and done but then i looked into VASS certificates as i would love them in there and 100% legal and from discussions this may not be too hard, so before i do the driver seat i want to gain the guys advise and repeat for passenger seat.

Going to clean them down tonight, fix up slight crack which can be seen in left of pic.....only minor and not visible once on etc but will fix anyway.

Then light sand and paint.

annoying thing is that paint code is Peak White and i know they are going to end up looking alot whiter than the doors...not much i can do though really, should still look sweet and will make me give whole car a good clean and polish to brighten up the rest.

SSVSkirts.jpg

Mate,they look like they could use some TLC...pretty sure you will get em lookin shmick again. :)

also has that bin been in a couple of other parts pics holding your newly found goodies,i love it makes me smile,should at least give it a name. :lol: