Octane booster / additives?

dwee.

As title states, friend bought this topic up and I am thinking if an octane booster/additive would do any significant gain, say for a ZRE or corollas in general?

I know it increases the octane number and supposedly it "makes the car more efficient and uses less fuel". I know like additives used to clean fuel injectors or the carby can be beneficial to use..but what about octane boosters?

Any comments?

Cheers,

Peter.

I think your friend needs to look into what octane rating means. I won't bore with the technicalities but in summary its the fuel's resistance to knock/ping. My opinion is they are a waste of money. $30 for a bottle of octane boost is pretty expensive. When going from 95 to 98 octane fuel will cost far less than $30 and has a proven 3 octane gain. The octane boosters claim, at best, a 5 octane gain, but in reality I believe this to be far far less (0). Since the octane rating is related to knock/ping resistance there is no point increasing octane if you are not tuned to take advantage of it.

I think your friend needs to look into what octane rating means. I won't bore with the technicalities but in summary its the fuel's resistance to knock/ping. My opinion is they are a waste of money. $30 for a bottle of octane boost is pretty expensive. When going from 95 to 98 octane fuel will cost far less than $30 and has a proven 3 octane gain. The octane boosters claim, at best, a 5 octane gain, but in reality I believe this to be far far less (0). Since the octane rating is related to knock/ping resistance there is no point increasing octane if you are not tuned to take advantage of it.

Yes, yes and God yes. Another thing to mention - I've seen some 'octane boosters' destroy cats and O2 sensors.

if you want a decent octane booster for cheap use TOLUENE. you can puchase in 20L drums. add 2 litres to every tank with 98 and you will ahve close to 101 octane. costs around $60 per 20 litres. much cheaper than the octane boosters you will fidn in supercheap.

F1 cars back in the late 80's\early 90's used 80% toluene as fuel :)

$30 for a bottle of octane boost is pretty expensive. When going from 95 to 98 octane fuel will cost far less than $30 and has a proven 3 octane gain.

Same as what I was thinking, might as well get 98. Thinking it wasn't worth it.

or just de-snorkel your foolie sic airbox

:P :P :P :P

Thanks to you, I did! :D

F1 cars back in the late 80's\early 90's used 80% toluene as fuel :)

Didn't know that! :)

So in summary, octane booster is kind of a scam.