Which RWD car would you pick?

V6? surely they are IL6

Love the avatar man :D and who's MX-5 was that, pretty nice ride!

I also looked up pricing of MX5s and they ain't as overpriced as i thought. Also was thinking most drivers are mature women and men that like the open top sunday cruise so they are usually very well taken care of. There are some really good ones around and very new, low kms too. I think they are great track cars for novice rwd drivers like me :D not over-powered so i won't end up on a telegraph pole.. :lol:

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• 2 weeks later...

Cars i'd look at under 15k.....

RWD'S

180SX

200SX SILVIA

FC RX7

R32 GTST

VL CALAIS Turbo

AWD

PULSAR GTI-R

GALANT VR4

BLUEBIRD SSS Turbo

GT4 CELICA

FWD

PRELUDE VTIR (vtec)

PULSAR SSS

MODIFIED

91-93 Supercharged Gti Corolla

RX3 13BT

RX7 13BT

N13 EXA w/sr20det

plenty more......

Hmmm... now on second thoughts i would either spend very little on a sh&t-box and modify the crap out of it or spend more like 25grand and get newer models like an S15 or Supra. 15grand budget feels like i will get stuck with choices?

btw, Skylines and RX7s are out of my equation. Only FWD i will consider is TypeR. AWD is out, i had a MY97WRX before and know the problems 2nd hand AWD cars have :(

Silvias are still my favourite choice, invest in a set of coilovers, good rims and tyres and get a new clutch and i think they are ready to hit the track for some rwd fun. Hopefully the engine and tranny holds up.

Cheers,

Z

Look for an s14 series 2 Zee... there can usually be some nice clean examples around of those and they look nicer then the Series 1 with the lower nose and smaller grille. Unless you can find a nice s15 of course...

u can get good s14s for round 15grand. b4 i got my sportivo i was lookin round for s14 series 2. u can find them at auctions to. an old fren of mine told me there was a s14 series 2, 99mod at the auctions that went for 14grand. it was sold a week after i got my sportivo, so yea jus look round, ull find a good deal

Look for an s14 series 2 Zee... there can usually be some nice clean examples around of those and they look nicer then the Series 1 with the lower nose and smaller grille. Unless you can find a nice s15 of course...

There is a Silver 5/2001 S15 200SX Spec S with 85,000kms selling for $26,990 (price dropped from $31,000 apparently), but its a Fleet Sales dealership and the vehicle was an ex-company car and hasn't been cleaned/detailed inside and out. Log book also hasn't been stamped from 25,000kms to now! :blink:

There is also a Silver 1999 S15 Spec R Silvia (Jap Spec import) with 46,500kms which i might go see but hard to know if it has been maintained and stuff.

BEST DEAL yet - 2000 model 200SX (S14 or S15 not sure) with 53,000kms selling $21,500. Private sale though.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

just be cautious Z getting these older turbo cars as they have probably been thrashed to the crap house and are barely sticking together..... Than again u might have urself a good deal

just be cautious Z getting these older turbo cars as they have probably been thrashed to the crap house and are barely sticking together..... Than again u might have urself a good deal

That is my greatest concern and the only reason why i haven't purchased a 200SX since there are soooo many out there. I have even contacted half a dozen dealers in Sydney to look at S15s and to trade the Stivo.

But like you said the turbo and drivetrain is my main concern. Turbo seals can leak when the turbo is not maintained or the drivers don't cool down the turbos after each spirited drive (no turbo timer). But most with turbo timers also have a variety of other mods like boost controllers and i don't want those cars, it can mean potential piston meltdowns and big engine rebuilts.

I am after a clean stocker. Saw a few S15s with around 80,000kms, looked alright but if you look closely under the turbo wastegate there can be some oil leakage which i spotted in one of them. That probably means the turbo is leaking oil which makes it inefficient and needs rebuilding or a new turbo is needed. And the worry list goes on and on....

That's why brand new is the way or a very new 2nd hand example with low kms. Otherwise i just have to be prepared for major o'haul.

I think NA cars are still far more reliable on the road and on the track!

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Either that or mount a rear wheel drive set up in the sportivo

Is that possible? Probably is but still cheaper to drop the 2ZZGE into a RWD car? Maybe an AE86 with 2ZZGE? (where's Rollamods) Now that would be awesome! :D

In Best Motoring there is even an AE86 with S2000 engine and 6 speed box transplant! Serious!!! Drives great down the straight aparently but that car wasn't tuned properly and handling a bit off..