RAV 4 V6 (2GR-FE) Recall

stapo

Hi Guys

Just received this in the mail (from Toyota. Bertie Street, Port Melbourne)

Ëngine oil supply pipe assembly for the VVT-i Actuator located on the left hand rear cylinder bank may develop a small crack inside the rubber hose due to an unsuitable material.Engine oil contaminants from blow by gas combined with the hose material, can result in the crack developing. If the vehicle continues to operate in this condition, the crack can expand due to oil pressure fluctuations and engine oil may leak from the hose.

If you weren't aware before...you are now!!

Doesn't sound to serious but I'll get mine done ASAP.

Good Luck!!

Hi Guys

Just received this in the mail (from Toyota. Bertie Street, Port Melbourne)

Ëngine oil supply pipe assembly for the VVT-i Actuator located on the left hand rear cylinder bank may develop a small crack inside the rubber hose due to an unsuitable material.Engine oil contaminants from blow by gas combined with the hose material, can result in the crack developing. If the vehicle continues to operate in this condition, the crack can expand due to oil pressure fluctuations and engine oil may leak from the hose.

If you weren't aware before...you are now!!

Doesn't sound to serious but I'll get mine done ASAP.

Good Luck!!

Yes got my letter today service due in next week, :D good timing

Its interesting that a few months ago I developed an oil leak on my 2007 ZR6 RAV. It was not long after the scheduled 40K maintenance servce. I arranged to take it back and on my arrival, I noticed the customer service attendant opened the hood and looked directly at the pipe (now recalled). It was obvious that they knew about it then but didn't own up however promised to fix it at no charge which they did. The question I now have following the recall notice is why didnt they replace the hose at the 40K service only a week earlier? They could have caused severe damage to my engine had I not noticed this leak even then I can :angry: not be sure they havn't.

Very very poor customer service by Toyota in my view.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I usually post in the Aurion section but as we have the same V6 motor I thought you may want to know the following. I was travelling along when my oil warning light came on. I immediately stopped the vehicle and called for assistance. I had lost 3 litres of oil and it was coming out at pressure somewhere very low on the motor but it was difficult to see exactly where. The dealership arranged a tilt tray truck to take the vehicle back to the service dept. They found that my oil cooler hose had a pinhole in it after only 90,000k. The VVTI hose had earlier been replaced and now this hose has the potential to ruin the motor if not replaced with a better quality one. Fortunately I was able to get an out of warranty claim approved. The part alone at retail would have been $275. I believe the hose has since been upgraded on new models. Mine is 2007.

The VVT-i hose is a common one with the Aurion. The other is a RARE occurrence, there is no need to fear monger. Any mass lack of oil can cause terminal damage, such as large leaks caused by worn/damaged gaskets, it all comes under warranty and maintenance. There is no requirement to stress.

The VVT-i hose is a common one with the Aurion. The other is a RARE occurrence, there is no need to fear monger. Any mass lack of oil can cause terminal damage, such as large leaks caused by worn/damaged gaskets, it all comes under warranty and maintenance. There is no requirement to stress.

This.

The issue you had, even if it was a pinhole leak in another hose, is not related to the other well known oil leak. Statements like "this hose has the potential to ruin the motor if not replaced with a better quality one" is like saying "my radiator hose developed a leak and that therefore means that this hose should also be replaced with a better quality one because the original one is of a low grade". This is no different to the following:

What is uncommon today might be far more common in 6 months it the hose does in fact fail for others after 90,000km. As for routine maintenance, the dealership had just done the 90,000km service 48 hourse earlier which is a major service. Nothing was detected then so it is difficult to identify a potential line failure in what appears to be a reasonable hose. The dealership actually showed me the hose and it did not look perished at all. It just had the pinhole in it. Perhaps I was just unlucky and Toyota was just being generous fixing it out of warranty or perhaps they realised that it should not have happened in the first place. The replacement hose is far more robust looking suggesting that Toyota has identified it as a potential problem and addressed the issue.

What is uncommon today might be far more common in 6 months it the hose does in fact fail for others after 90,000km. As for routine maintenance, the dealership had just done the 90,000km service 48 hourse earlier which is a major service. Nothing was detected then so it is difficult to identify a potential line failure in what appears to be a reasonable hose. The dealership actually showed me the hose and it did not look perished at all. It just had the pinhole in it. Perhaps I was just unlucky and Toyota was just being generous fixing it out of warranty or perhaps they realised that it should not have happened in the first place. The replacement hose is far more robust looking suggesting that Toyota has identified it as a potential problem and addressed the issue.

They would have done it to avoid a disgruntled customer. Compared to some out of warranty claims it wasn't that costly.

They would have done it to avoid a disgruntled customer. Compared to some out of warranty claims it wasn't that costly.

Exactly they didnt do it because it was a definitely "lack of quality". $275 isn't much in the great scheme of things for them. If it would have been more they would be trying to find every possible reason why it failed and point it straight to "wear and tear". When I tried to get a $3500 out of warranty (by 2 months / only done 65,000km) claim when my auto box broke the first time. The torque converter, and a main seal fail spewing oil everywhere which in turn killed the pump inside as well, they pointed at every single thing that "could have" caused the problem through wear and tear and refused it. Maybe I should have posted threads on tocau about it then come to think about it and get a recall going.

Resize your pictures.

Also, just because it's made of metal it does not mean that it is superior to a reinforced rubber hose. You're lucky that Toyota fixed yours for free, it would seem customer satisfaction is still high up on the list.