Turbo or supacharge?

1. Turbo/Supercharging is gonna bite you on the butt with insurance.

2. What year/model and engine is your sportivo?

3. If your talking about those heavy **** 99 - 2000 model sportivos I wouldn't even bother charging them. they weigh a ******load and not worth the money. Unless you talking about the new 04 onwards sportivos. Then go turbocharged (based on revs). mmm yummy yummy boost!

Dont get a skyline or silvia, they are the new COMMONdore.

I know there is a blitz supercharger kit u can get for the celica 2zz-ge, so i imagine it could be used on the corolla.

There is less fn around with a supercharger, but they tend to be pretty expensive compared to turbos.

My siters boyfriend turbo charged his nisssan micra (plates REVERB if any1 has seen it around) and that has 107kw at the wheels compared to the original 33kw. If you got a spare 6 grand or so you can get a very good turbo setup. I recomend stainless steel manifold or steam pipe. Dont get a mild steel manifold cuz the welds easily break and fly into the turbo and you can imagine what happens then. Shop around for computers. U really need to replace your ecu, cuz piggy back ecu's are pretty limited. Other things that need changing include injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump, distributer etc. Try and get a ball bearing turbo(rather than roller bearing) since they spool up quicker. I magine a new head gasket is in order for sportivo given the high compression

Whatever u do make sure its done properly from day 1, otherwise cutting corners equals blown engines. Spend the extra money and get it done properly.

I've always had a preference for supercharging. I think the extra effort in getting the pulleys and belts into the right place is worth the easy and constant power gain, especially mid-rev range. I don't like the hit and miss approach to designing and welding up turbo exhaust headers, and all that soot and grease on the turbo impeller from the exhaust gasses.

I've had this discussion with automotive engineers, engineering students, a race mechanic and car nuts, each has their own preference. I like the silence of a turbo at the lights but a supercharger whine always grabs my attention and I like that.

Either way, an LSD is a must, and some good wide tread.

I'd personally follow the route taken with the Lotus Elise in the U.S. which was done for emissions reasons. They took the 2zz-ge and supercharged it. There have been at least a dozen TRD superchargers for passenger and commercial Toyota engines, so for reliability at least the supercharger looks like a better bet. It'd be a toss up between TRD or custom, in my mind; I don't know if the pre-mapped ECU and factory designed parts that are known to 'just bolt on and work' are worth the extra cost and slightly lower power gain.

Looking from a business point of view tho, I think there'd be a good market for importing, installing and supporting the models of supercharger to suit the 2AZ-FE in the Rav/Camry/Tarago (Hilux too?) and the 2ZZ-GE in the Corolla/Celica. With some experience perhaps the TRD kits can be tweaked to give a little more (TRD ECU, pulley change and Piggy-back ECU maybe?).

For 2zzge: Blitz supercharger kit or C2Gas Stage 1/2 Turbo kit

Blitz supercharger kit is abit more expensive. I'd personally go turbo.. But that's just me.. :P

I think for a hi revving engine such as 2zz-ge, you are better off with a s/c since it helps low to mid power. However, you can also do a turbo that uses small fast-spooling turbo that can help your buttom end power and make it work just like a s/c.

Its a matter of how you wish the car to be.

i also like the idea of a supercharger however if it was as good as people say then why would the WRC rally car be turboed.

Turbos are used in racing because they're 'PEAKY'. They deliver pressure increases 'proportional to the exhaust gas volume'. Higher revs, more exhaust, more boost. Race drivers keep their engine in the "powerband" (the rev range from peak torque to redline) as this is where it performs best.

Turbo size and fin design are made for optimum performance at certain rev ranges, as are intake, exhaust, fuel and ignition systems. A turbo gets its energy from the exhaust gasses leaving the engine that are otherwise 'wasted', so knowing the powerband and the exhaust volume at those revs the turbo is designed to give maximum responsiveness and boost pressure where the engine will spend most of its time. In the real worldthe main considerations are driveability and fuel economy.

anyway supercharger for consatant power increase

and turbo charger for bottom end instant power

Actually, superchargers provide both constant power AND bottom end instant power. Turbos usually produce more high rev power increases than most superchargers do. This is because even where the boost pressure is the same (super vs. turbo) a supercharger creates drag on the engine as it gets its power from the driveshaft, reducing the power delivered to the wheels.

There are 3 styles of supercharger, only one of them produces constant boost across the rev range. The other two types increase boost pressure with higher revs, as turbos do with more exhaust volume (which happens at higher revs).

In some situations superchargers increase the torque of engines so dramatically that maintaining traction during take-off from standstill can be very difficult. Some factory supercharged cars have ZERO boost in 1st gear under 3500rpm, thus maintaining traction, saving tyres and driveability and reducing risk of serious damage to driveshafts and bearings (and warranty). Others (like some turbo cars) have a bleed valve that only allows about half the boost pressure to build in 1st gear so that even when at full revs the car doesn't accellerate dangerously or behave unpredictably.

Edited by hideo

somebody just get the stroker/piston kit... and that'll be fast enough for an N/A car... :D

that's the strength of a 2ZZ... why not stick with it? :D it'll give any turbos a good run....

put on the C-ONE gear ratios... you'll blow them out of the water...

force feeding are for us 1zz ppl!! :D haha~

stay N/A on the 2ZZ....

Took my rolla in for a service last week and went looking through the toyota car lot, and had a real evil idea. dunno if its possible but how about a 2.4 camry engine in a corolla <_<

back on topic, I like the look of the TRD supercharger kit.

I got a WRX instead of supercharging my 1zz Corolla :P

Much easier option...

But if you HAVE to do something to the car... i'd personally supercharge it for STREET use. No point refering to the WRC car... it's not a street driven car.. they aren't exactly built with comfort and practibility in mind.

I think installing a turbocharger would have too many tag along problems, with a semi-bolt on supercharger personally I thnk the risk of something going wrong is far less.

If you really are only swaying for the turbocharger just because of the 'pssssssssht' sound of the blow off valve... don't bother...this is for you insyead:

bovclear.jpg

How it works

Making N/A blow off valve

· You will need an old fire extinguisher or similar type of pressure vessel (FE)

· A working ac compressor that is no hooked up to the ac system (ACC)

· 2 LPG gas solenoids; 1 Normally Closed, 1 Normally Open(SOL1,NO) (SOL2,NC)

· A pressure or boost cut out switch (PCO)

· An activation switch (AS)

· A BOV (BOV)

Installation

· See diagram

· Green lines are boost or pressure lines

· Blue lines are negative battery signal

· Red lines are positive battery signal

· Yellow line is a vacuum line

How it works

1. The ac compressor fills the FE to lets say 14psi

2. When the preset pressure is reached the PCO is activated and turns the ac off

3. With no power to SOL1 it is NO, so the BOV feed line has the same pressure as the FE, SOL2 also has no power and is NC

4. When the activation switch is activated power is sent to the 2 solenoids, SOL1 will close and SOL2 will open

5. When this happens the BOV feed line has neg pressure and the air inside the FE tries to equalise and the air is released out the BOV

6. When the pressure in the FE drops the compressor cuts back in and the whole process starts again.

7. If you want to control the that the 2 solenoids have power for then use a timer relay in line with the activation switch

yeah some one i wish it was me should get the 3zz kit or the supercharger kit (or both) from Trial...i was looking at this the other day and i have really started to like the idea

Took my rolla in for a service last week and went looking through the toyota car lot, and had a real evil idea.  dunno if its possible but how about a 2.4 camry engine in a corolla <_<

Yeah great - spend mega $$$ doing a conversion to fit an engine that is (1) heavier, and (2) less powerful (despite more torque).

3. If your talking about those heavy **** 99 - 2000 model sportivos I wouldn't even bother charging them. they weigh a ******load and not worth the money. Unless you talking about the new 04 onwards sportivos. Then go turbocharged (based on revs). mmm yummy yummy boost!

The 99-2000 Sportivo was turbocharged from factory.

Edited by oz_viking

You beat me too it bro.... although the 2001 AE112R Corolla Sportivo, only ever available in Gold based on the Levin only had 115kw ATFW.

I understand that this was as good as a bolt on kit as the cars came from Japan as a Standard Levin and the turbo kit was fitted on the docks in Sydney, so if your desperate and you have a AE112R, I am sure you could source this kit as a bolt-on....you'll probably find though that it'd cost mass bikkies to do it... :huh:

But then when the 03/04 & 05 Sportivo has 141kw N/A, why would you bother....

but but but then again, they are different engines too....the 112R had a 7-AFE where the 123R has a 2ZZ-GE...

Just please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,

do not get a Sylvia....

before i start just so everyone knows either s/c or t/c are personal preferrences.

now in comparisson to any car spend $10k s/c and spend 10k t/c

9/10 t/c a car has more benefits. simple as that.

seriously speaking when all sportivo owners bought the sportivo they bought because of how it was presented not the because of their potentialliaty.

be happy with your ride and what a n/a car can do. if you really want to turbo something do it to a semi old car or choose a car that is proven to be beneficial when turboed. and depending on use choose the right car. personally i think silvia's, skyline's and 200's and 180's are great track cars. found more of the smaller cars such as wrx, evo, lancers, old skool rollas like late model ae's were great to turbo and straight runs. so for arguement sake, just choose a car for the purpose. unless you have $$$$$ to spend you can't have a car that can do track/qtr at the sametime.

but i am a proud toyota owner! who else is?

I think it might be supacharged then but I will go a cooler and BOV as well and The car is a 2005 Sportivo, Why I asked was I drove the Avalon ute Concept car and that has a supercharged V6 and didnt go to bad

yeah i must say as much fun as it would be to s/c or t/c the stivo i brought it because it isnt either and will still give most cars with t/c and so on a run for there money.

all these cars round these days that are t/c or s/c fly around but see how powerfull these same cars are with there t/c or s/c i almost garrantee the stivo will leave em for dead. thats why i went for one.

its a sleeper.

Sorry my bad. I thought they made a non-turbo sportivo for those years and produced only a limited/special edition or somehting as turbo.

You beat me too it bro.... although the 2001 AE112R Corolla Sportivo, only ever available in Gold based on the Levin only had 115kw ATFW.

I understand that this was as good as a bolt on kit as the cars came from Japan as a Standard Levin and the turbo kit was fitted on the docks in Sydney, so if your desperate and you have a AE112R, I am sure you could source this kit as a bolt-on....you'll probably find though that it'd cost mass bikkies to do it... huh.gif

But then when the 03/04 & 05 Sportivo has 141kw N/A, why would you bother....

but but but then again, they are different engines too....the 112R had a 7-AFE where the 123R has a 2ZZ-GE...

Just please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,

do not get a Sylvia....

Interesting. didn't know they came as standard Levins from japan and nor did i know they fitted the turbos at the docks.

Interesting. didn't know they came as standard Levins from japan and nor did i know they fitted the turbos at the docks.

Yeah, that was the only way that Toyota was able to offer a Turbo Corolla and have a factory warranty as Toyota Japan didn't want a bar of it at the time.

When the cars hit the shores, the added the turb (and the bits they needed with it) and the bodykit (Rear spoiler risers, sideskirts and front lip), took off the Levin badging and fitted Sportivo badging, and shanged the wheels from the standard Levin wheels to the Corsica rims which we ther optional 15" at the time where the Levin came with 14's....

All of the body kit that was fitted was also factory options for the rest of the corolla lineup...

The reason, as it goes in the media reports, that htye only made it in Gold was that the Levin model was not selling in Gold, and they had an excess supply of that colour. Dealers couldn't get enough Black, white and red, but nobody wanted Gold.

In the Ascent/Conquest market, they couldn't get enough gold, although the Ascent/Conquest market was popular with the females where the Levin purchases were mainly men...

I might have some more info somewhere if you are really interested.... I was actually not too far from actually buying one....

One problem you gotta watch the boost, because of the high compression, you wouldn't want to go above 7psi... anything more will lead to misfire and knocking then an expensive mess... so to increase the boost you'll have to drop the compression ratio and therefore sacrifice power to gain power (catch 22)....

But if you got the money go all out...

This whole debate is moot. Obviously everyone has opinions, but until we can compare a t/c and s/c Sportivo, who knows how they will compare?

It seems there are some brave/wealthy souls out there getting the s/c kit together, anyone volunteering to add a snail to their 2ZZ ??