Why didn't Toyota include a Digital Speed?

I was looking at Youtube video's of people flogging there Fords and Holdens and most of them with a Trip Computer have a digital speedo. Which made me disappointed that Toyota neglected to put in one for our Aurions, instead they have a stupid Average Speed, seriously, why should I care what my average speed is? I'd rather see my speed in digital, its just to make life a bit easier when driving.

Just the choice that the designers made. Maybe it wasn't something they saw as a useful feature. Personally I don't mind the standard analogue gauge. Instead of seeing a fluctuating digital number, you get a smoother fluctuation with the standard gauge.

Anyways, was it really necessary to make up a new thread just to ask this? Questions like this should go here:

The STUPID thread

Just the choice that the designers made. Maybe it wasn't something they saw as a useful feature.

Was it really necessary to make up a new thread just to ask this? Questions like this should go here:

The STUPID thread

With all respect, did you seriously think that of the top of my head I'll think of typing in "The Stupid Thread" into the search engine? I haven't been on this forum long enough to know what goes where.

I haven't ventured out of the Aurion section much either.

Anyway, thanks for kind of answering. I was a bit disappointed to find that it doesn't show my Live Speed, what good will the average speed displayed do?

With all respect, did you seriously think that of the top of my head I'll think of typing in "The Stupid Thread" into the search engine?

No... but this isn't just an Aurion forum. Maybe you can now take the opportunity to work on changing this statement:

I haven't ventured out of the Aurion section much either.

There are many things to discuss and many more members to speak to outside of this forum. We are a community.

Anyways, if you want, I can be more picky and tell you that if you did a search in this forum using the word "speedo", you would find this thread:

Speedo

Hi All

Hopefully my ZR6 will arrive within a few weeks - :( The wait is killing me...

Anyway, I drove an XS6 for a day a while back and yes the dash is nice to look at, but to my mind you cant tell what speed you are doing within 3-4 km/h! These days that is a recipe for a nasty letter in the mail.
I firmly believe that Toyota should add digital speed readout as an option on the display. If enough people think the same, could it happen?

Anyone here technical enough to know if its any more than a firmware upgrade?

(here endeth my first post)

Anyway, thanks for kind of answering.

In all seriousness, the best answer to this would be supplied by calling this number:

1800 252 097 or asking here:

http://www.toyota.com.au/email-toyota

Chances are they won't have a decent answer either, but it's no different to asking here for the same thing because in the end, we're just guessing.

Alright then, thanks for taking the time to help out. I'll know in the future what to do if I have a question to ask. Guess we won't be seeing any digital speedo anytime soon but IMO if Toyota wanted I bet a simple software update would fix that.

... but IMO if Toyota wanted I bet a simple software update would fix that.

In my opinion, I would think otherwise.

My bet would be that Toyota did not design the multi-information display to read the speedo pulses to convert to a readable figure. The speedo would most likely be designed to convert the digital pulses to a suitable signal for the speedo servo motor and the LCD display driver most likely won't know how to interpret this data. I would imagine the speedo cluster software won't be easily changed as well as it's not something that gets re-written in the life of the car.

That's just the way I see it though.

stupid Average Speed, seriously, why should I care what my average speed is?

Easy, say, one drive like a mad man at 180 Km/h, than brake like a girl to 40 km/h when approaching corners. Another one drive at 80-100 km/h constantly. which one is faster in real life average speed will tell.

Easy, say, one drive like a mad man at 180 Km/h, than brake like a girl to 40 km/h when approaching corners. Another one drive at 80-100 km/h constantly. which one is faster in real life average speed will tell.

haha yeah thats a good idea!

Edited by chicken

I actually quite agree with Unique that average speed is useless. I would prefer a digital speedo + analogue (just like the holden one). When comes to speed camera or school zone , this digital speedo really comes into handy.

Just the choice that the designers made. Maybe it wasn't something they saw as a useful feature. Personally I don't mind the standard analogue gauge. Instead of seeing a fluctuating digital number, you get a smoother fluctuation with the standard gauge.

Anyways, was it really necessary to make up a new thread just to ask this? Questions like this should go here:

The STUPID thread

DJKOR OK, so you might know a thing or two about Aurions, but time and time again, you dfon't have to be rude to those who come onto this site .. :angry:

DJKOR OK, so you might know a thing or two about Aurions, but time and time again, you dfon't have to be rude to those who come onto this site .. :angry:

Mate... that was nowhere near a rude response. I simply said:

Anyways, was it really necessary to make up a new thread just to ask this?

Since when is using the statement "was it really necessary" a rude response?

And if you think it's rude to point to 'The STUPID thread', why don't you have a look at the thread and you will see that it is there to ask questions, not to offend. You would even see that I have asked many questions in that thread as well.

Geez.... if that response was considered rude, than I'd hate to hear how you would take a real rude response.

Toyota take many things into consideration when designing a dash board. the colour, the font and the shape of the needles.

the thing about a digital speed read out is that when the speed changes quite a number of significant visual changes occurr in a digital display, take going from 7 to 8 or 0 to 1, these digital displays can be distracting if displayed in correctly... sure they can be made small, but there is nothing distracting about a smoothly increaseing/decreasing needle on a scale.

note the Yaris hatchbacks with the digital display are awesome... but the speedo is well out of your line of sight and isnt distracting at all.

perhaps rather than a digital display, a simple headup display would have been better.

Well Gents do you want to know what I think.....

Of course the Aurion would be improved with a digital speedometer. I had a Toyota Soarer for the past 3 years and they are all digital (SEE PICTURE). I just bought the Aurion and thought it to be a little disappointing when pretty much all the other cars (bommadore and Bord) have the digital and to Aurion does not :(

But im not really kicking up a stink cause it doesnt bother me that much. I was just used to the digital readout. Although its does come in handy if you want to keep the speed on a precise level for those police and cameras.

Dont worry about DJKOR, I tihnk he is having his period :)

KoolMoeDee (KMD)

post-17185-1263859606_thumb.jpg

I actually quite agree with Unique that average speed is useless. I would prefer a digital speedo + analogue (just like the holden one). When comes to speed camera or school zone , this digital speedo really comes into handy.

I agree 100%.........(my 2 cents)

But the Aurion already has a Digital Speedo, of some sorts. But only if you have the version that comes with GPS.

- Press the Display button

- Firmly press your finger on the top side of the screen, then the lower side of the screen. Do this 6 times

- Go to Vehicle Sensors and voiala. You should find it there. Will show you both KM and MPH!

Down side is that you can't listen to the radio or music while this is on.