Shock Absorbers

Terry

I've recently started to noticed loud rattling and banging noises from my rear suspension when I go over sharp bumps, and the overall car feels more floaty and sloppy. Last time I went to Pedders they said my rear shocks were on their way out, and I'm inclined to agree now.

My car has done about 100,000km so I suppose it is about time to change all the shocks anyway. I've decided to take this opportunity to get something which would improve the handling a bit, I've pretty much narrowed it down to two brands, KYB Excel-G or Monroe GT-gas. Which of these would be better to get? I would like them to perform just as well as my original Sportivo suspension, if not better (not too concerned with comfort to be honest :P)

I don't want to lower my car much at all, since what I use the car for makes it unpractical, but since I am replacing the shocks should the springs be replaced too? (nothing wrong with the current ones as far as I can tell yet)

If so, should I go Toyota Genuine or aftermarket? I've checked King Springs, Lovells and Pedders and none seem to make standard height springs for the Gen5 V6 Camrys weirdly.

Nearly ALL suspension places I have been to would prefer KYB over Monroe. Only Pedders would use Monroe coz they're a dealer of them.

Technically speaking, shocks are meant to be replaced every 40k... but obviously that's not gonna happen! I'd suggest only looking at springs if you're wanting a slightly stiffer ride. The shocks will make it much more stiff, but springs will help it as well.

I got mine done with KYB GR-2 shocks with Kings low springs... had the whole lot done :)

Sorry to hijack terry, but out of curiousity, can you lower your car slightly just by changing the shocks if you originally have a stock shock and king springs set up?

No, the shock (or Damper as it should be called) will only affect the spring capture and rate of dampening. It should not affect the overall height of the car as that is part of the springs job.

just to add to the OP's question, I have used the Excel G's many times in cars I have lowered and all have been a good result. I found the Monroe's to be too harsh in the ride for my liking, but if you are after a firm ride then go for them. The other thing I like about the KYB's is their price!

I replaced the stock Bilsteins on my 1999 Touring with Monroe GT-Gas shock absorbers and cannot fault them. The ride is quite firm and can be a little jittery over rough surfaces, but I like a firm ride with good suspension rebound particularly given I drive along a lot of roads with tram tracks where I feel a car that floats can be a bit of a handful as you hit the corrugations in the road.

The Monroes are expensive (about $160 ea plus fitting) but one thing that won me over was the 3 year/60,000km warranty. I did not get the springs changed, they are still stock and do the job fine. The only thing I need to do is sort out the clunk coming from the rear suspension - I suspect its some worn bushings or strut mounts. Nothing the radio cannot hide though for the moment.

Yeah... any kind of clunking could be strut related... I ended up getting any bushes replaced whilst they had the car in 100 bits... new bump stops and everything.

I'm quite happy with my KYB GR-2s... not too stiff... definitely not soft either :P Lowered springs makes the car look much nicer I must say.. even if it is only on stock rims.

According to my insurance company, the springs don't ever have to be replaced at all... only shocks. (Was sick of having to call my insurance company every time I wanted to make a mod)

Thanks for the info guys :)

I guess what I'll be doing is getting all the shocks changed, and keep my current stock springs and thats that :lol:

Autobarn quoted me $140 each for the Monroe GT-gas, and $180 each for the KYB Excel-G. I'm leaning more towards the KYBs I think.

While I'm messing with the suspension, is there anything else I should get changed or have looked at? bumpstops, top mounts etc etc?

cool, I'll give that place a try and see what they can do :)

@trentmeyer, wow $110 does sound good, which place did you those from?

I live in Sydney (near Olympic Park) anybody recommend good places I could buy KYB shocks from or a good suspension installer?

• 1 month later...
cool, I'll give that place a try and see what they can do :)

@trentmeyer, wow $110 does sound good, which place did you those from?

I live in Sydney (near Olympic Park) anybody recommend good places I could buy KYB shocks from or a good suspension installer?

Pedders and Monroe... well, as most suspension shops say - "they're ****". Simple as that, lol. Monroes are more stiff than KYB... can't say about Pedders - never been in a car with em.

The argument I got between Monroe and KYB is that KYB were built better. KYB aren't as harsh to drive with and are still nice and stiff. Much better than stock anyway.

Tein are a great brand, never had anyone say anything bad about them (yet). Tein coilovers would be hugely expensive though... looking around 2800 before even installing (from last quote anyway).

I got the KYB Excel-G shocks installed the other week. I am quite happy with them :)

stiffer than stock, however not uncomfortable :)

nice ~

I live around Five Dock, and im wondering where did u get the shocks and installation done?

and if you dont mind, how much were they?

I bought the shocks themselves from Wholesale Suspension in Blacktown, got them for $150 per shock...probably not the cheapest, but cheaper than Autobarn/Repco anyway :P

I was getting polyurethane bushings done by Pedders Bankstown at the time aswell, so I got them to install the shocks too, that part cost $250 including wheel alignment.

150 per shock seems reasonable, nice job mate. :clap:

Im looking to change my V6's suspension set up too, currently researching and choosing matched shocks and lowered springs. Do you think it would be quite a bit cheaper if I was going to do the whole job at Pedders? Including buying their products?

Also it seems Pedders products get very little love :( Why is that?

Edited by ak97

While I'm messing with the suspension, is there anything else I should get changed or have looked at? bumpstops, top mounts etc etc?

Whenever replacing your shocks, it is usually a good idea to get a strut kit (like a Monroe Strut Mate) that replaces your bump stops, and dust boot. Not exactly necessary (depending on the current wear), but it's a wise decision regardless. Other things to look at are the spring seats to see if they are wearing or worn and if you think it would be good to replace them... then do so.

In regards to the knocking noise I'd be checking the rear swaybar bushes, make sure the swaybar is in there tight and not moving... Also, you'll prolly find the strut hats and bearings are worn which would also cause the knock over bumpy roads and speedbumps... These will also need to be replaced...

And also just to add, Repco offer quick strut replacements, which come as a complete unit (strut, spring, bearing, hat, bump stop and dust boot) for a great price... See if they are available for your model, will make the job a lot easier and most likely cheaper than buying all the parts individually and paying labour for someone to fit them up...

Edited by Rolla Boy

I actually found out what was causing the thumping noise today. It wasn't the shocks or bearings or anything like that, it was the rear control arm. When I first went to Pedders a long time ago, they didn't do the locknut up tight enough on the control arm when they did my wheel alignment, so the control arm was wobbling about and making noise <_<

One would assume that when I got my shocks installed by a different Pedders a few months later, they would do a wheel alignment and do this locknut up properly then...no such luck, they left it loose aswell.

Also when I took it to this Pedders, I got them to do polyurethane front control arm bushings while they had my car there. Yes they did them, and yes they are fine, BUT they didnt do the control arm bushing bolt up tight, so that night it started banging very loudly when I drove, so I had to take it back.

so now I know why people don't like Pedders. Been to two different shops, both screwed something up. :rolleyes: