basic mags for aurion

Nazza

Just purchased 2009 Aurion AT-X for $31400. Its the updated model, got bluetooth n paid extra for reversing camera. Unfortunately couldn't get one with mags (i could have got one with mags for only $300 extra but than i had to get light blue color(arctic frost i think) instead of silver).

Any recommandation on mags? i'm not after anything fancy, cheap 16" is fine so i can keep the tyres. Thanks.

Also wat tint would u recommend?

Edited by Nazza

Congrats on the purchase.

I would recommend letting these tires wear out then getting a new set in a larger size, or getting a new larger set and try to flog off the old set for whatever you can get. There are many wheel and tire combos out there that are well priced and would be more worth the end result. One place to check out would be Tempe Tires:

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/

Otherwise, if you must change your wheels now whilst keeping your current tires, then find a set of wheels that have no dish whatsoever and are as flat as possible. Such example of a wheel (but not specifically these ones I'm recommending... mainly because they aren't available in 16 inch) are B.Boss Eleanors:

Eleanor-sml.jpg

The flat look with the spokes extending right to the tire will give the illusion of a larger wheel. Otherwise, if you get a wheel that is more open in its design, try to find one with the smallest centre hub you can find as this gives the illusion of a larger wheel as well.

As for the tint, the ideal recommendation would be a 35% tint since this is the darkest legal tint and you will never have issues with it. That said, at your own risk, you can get a 20% tint which will be nice and dark to cut out the heat and give privacy, but is not overly dark so you can still drive at night with it. If your eyes aren't that great though, driving at night can be a little fun. You need to bear in mind that this level of tint is illegal, but on a newer car like this, it will be less likely to be picked up by a cop. It also helps if you have the tinting shop write up a receipt stating that it was a 35% tint just to help you in a sticky situation.

As said, it is an illegal tint, and doing that is at your own risk. So basically, 35% is what I recommend if you want to have it by the book.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too fussy about the tint, i think 20-30% tint should be fine. Would you happen to know which company does decent tint?

Also that mag you posted above looks great, but how much would 17" + tyres cost? Can i get something similar in 16"? cos correct me if i'm wrong but i'll have to lower the car if i put anything bigger than 16", right?

Would you happen to know which company does decent tint?

Depends on your area. I can only suggest a trusted tint shop in the Brisbane area. Best having a look through the other forums around here. The 'Inside and Out' forum is a good one. If you do a search there, you will find suggestions for Sydney, Melbourne, and WA.

Also that mag you posted above looks great, but how much would 17" + tyres cost? Can i get something similar in 16"?

You can get 17" combos starting from around $899 from Tempe Tyres if you click on the link in my last post. You will see the banner on the home page and the wheels they offer with. As for which wheels you can get, it depends on the size combo you want and for this, you are best researching yourself because individual taste comes into play when choosing wheels. Remember to look around at other tire/wheel shops as well. Be prepared to take your time if necessary. There are some similar 16" wheels available, but you have to look around. I won't research your own wheels for you... that's your task.

A starting point if you want to go down this track are the Toyota Genuine 'Raptor' wheels like -DAvo has:

4245085166_9fa08560b5_b.jpg

cos correct me if i'm wrong but i'll have to lower the car if i put anything bigger than 16", right?

Absolutely not. Lowering it is good to balance out the look, but if you are increasing your wheel size whilst maintaining wheel/tire ratio (which you pretty much have to do when upsizing wheels), then there is no requirement to lower your car.

No worries, and again thanks for the advice. I think i'll just get 16" so i don't have to buy new tyres so i can save some money.

Can i get some opinion? Do you think "#1603 - 16x6.5 Fox R2 Gunmetal" would look good on aurion?

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_clos...mp;part_no=1796

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products.asp?...6+Inch+Packages (there are only four 16x6.5 mags listed, rest are 16x7)

Edited by Nazza

Any recommandation on mags? i'm not after anything fancy, cheap 16" is fine so i can keep the tyres. Thanks.

You are limiting your self quite a bit going for 16" rims. Most of them will be made with small cars in mind and not be suitable style wise. Also, you are looking for an offset of 45 to best match the lines of the car.

And trust me, you will enjoy the wider tyres! Less spin more traction.

Eleanor-sml.jpg

Sorry Darryl, I dont like it! :lol:

Also that mag you posted above looks great, but how much would 17" + tyres cost? Can i get something similar in 16"? cos correct me if i'm wrong but i'll have to lower the car if i put anything bigger than 16", right?

If you think about it, it is quite the opposite. The further away the centre of the wheel is from the arch the more wheel you can fit.

No worries, and again thanks for the advice. I think i'll just get 16" so i don't have to buy new tyres so i can save some money.

Can i get some opinion? Do you think "#1603 - 16x6.5 Fox R2 Gunmetal" would look good on aurion?

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_clos...mp;part_no=1796

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products.asp?...6+Inch+Packages (there are only four 16x6.5 mags listed, rest are 16x7)

To be honest, I don't think you will be saving much money because you wwill want to buy other wheels later down the track.

Just my opinion..

Check these ones out.

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_clos...mp;part_no=1179

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_clos...mp;part_no=2094

Welcome, and Congratz on the Purchase.

To be honest, there's hardly any 16" wheels that is as good as the stock. If u wanna swap, better do it right, 18" or something. If I have the budget to go for another 16, I'd rather do other mods. There are lots of Mods here if u look around.. U might wanna change your mind after you've found something. :P

As for Tint, the lower the %, the darker it gets. As DJKOR said, the legality of window tinting cars is 35%. Lesser than this would expose you to risk on defects. I saw lots of people going 20-30% thou.. They seem fine so far.. Haha :lol:

Definately stick with what you have now.......save and put either 18's or 19's on and lower the car......then you will have one sweet looking ride.

If you go 16's aftermarket, you will regret it later and want to go bigger. B)

Welcome, and Congratz on the Purchase.

To be honest, there's hardly any 16" wheels that is as good as the stock. If u wanna swap, better do it right, 18" or something. If I have the budget to go for another 16, I'd rather do other mods. There are lots of Mods here if u look around.. U might wanna change your mind after you've found something. :P

As for Tint, the lower the %, the darker it gets. As DJKOR said, the legality of window tinting cars is 35%. Lesser than this would expose you to risk on defects. I saw lots of people going 20-30% thou.. They seem fine so far.. Haha :lol:

With tinting just be careful, while cops may not pull you over (the don't really care about tint) insurance companies do, mainly because they are always looking for an excuse not to pay out your claim!

If they think for moment that any accident is caused due to your tint, they will check the grade!! So unless you're prepared to rush into the wreck yard that your car is taken to and strip the tint before the insurance man checks it out, might be safer to go legal darkest...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks alot for the information guys. N those big mags look mad, but unforunately i dont think i can afford em+tyres. I was bit busy so haven't had chance to buy the mags or tint the windows.

I think few of u misunderstood me, i'm NOT fussy bout the tint, any standard tint will be fine, but i would prefer quality, i.e. life time warranty etc. If you could recommend me a decent shop in Melb for tint, it would be much appreciated.

I also went to local shop n they had half decent looking new 16" Mags for $250ea ($1000 total), but they also has near new 16" Aurion Mags for $125ea ($500 total), they said it was trade in from brand new Aurion, tyres are identical to mine but actually looked newer than my tyres(which has only done 50km). According to Toyota, 16" Aurion Mags are $1000 new, so $500 is 1/2 price(n inc fitting), do you think its a good deal? cos i dont think stock 16" Aurion mags look too bad.

Edited by Nazza

Thanks alot for the information guys. N those big mags look mad, but unforunately i dont think i can afford em+tyres. I was bit busy so haven't had chance to buy the mags or tint the windows.

I think few of u misunderstood me, i'm NOT fussy bout the tint, any standard tint will be fine, but i would prefer quality, i.e. life time warranty etc. If you could recommend me a decent shop in Melb for tint, it would be much appreciated.

I also went to local shop n they had half decent looking new 16" Mags for $250ea ($1000 total), but they also has near new 16" Aurion Mags for $125ea ($500 total), they said it was trade in from brand new Aurion, tyres are identical to mine but actually looked newer than my tyres(which has only done 50km). According to Toyota, 16" Aurion Mags are $1000 new, so $500 is 1/2 price(n inc fitting), do you think its a good deal? cos i dont think stock 16" Aurion mags look too bad.

i assume you mean the Raptor alloys??

What were your thoughts on the Kappa wheels being sold?

Cheers

i assume you mean the Raptor alloys??

What were your thoughts on the Kappa wheels being sold?

Cheers

yer they were Raptors, $1000 new from toyota, n $500 for almost new ones i found at the shop. Kappa's r much nicer but they'll cost alot more sicne i also need new tyres.. i dont have TRD or Sprotivo ZR, so i think Raptor should be good enough..

As I said, 16" from Toyota is the best you can get [Not too familiar with Toyota rims], but pretty much, every one of em looks basic and simple. IMO, It is more like a waste if you're gonna buy another 16. It's a well-spent money if you upgrade it to at least 17/18. For the kind of 16" budget, you can spend it on other Mods like Grill, exhaust, K&N filter, Head-Unit, etc. Each to their own. My thoughts are the above and you just read it.

For 16' the raptor rims are pretty nice IMO. even thou im upgrading to the kappa's, i dont regret buying the raptors... they suited my budget nicely at the time and i stil think they look pretty good.. especially in the machined finish ;)