ticking noise from the engine bay

hey peoples,

just reading thru the topics from oldest to most recent.

One thing that caught my eye was the "diesel like noise" coming from the engine bay upon idle. My uncle listened to it and he said that its normal becuz its the fuel injector and ALL EFI cars have that.

However thru the months of driving the stivo i noticed one thing:

My car has a voltmeter that was put in by the previous owner and it always showed 14V when the car is cold and ~13.2 to 13.5V when the car was warm.

Lately, its showing around 13.5 when cold and 12.2 to 12.5 when warm.

also, lately sometimes when i turn on my HIDs, the right one just doesnt work and i need to high beam when the lights are off to get them on. Only after doing this, the HID light turns on. also sometimes, when decellerating, the left HID bulb flickers too.

these problems could be becuz a range of things like

a) battery going flat. (unlikely becuz new)

B) alternator playing up (maybe bearings are stuffed causing the drop in voltage)

c) belt (original on 85,000 kms 7 years)

d) faulty voltmeter (unlikely)

thanks for your input guys! :)

I have had my sportivo 3 months now and i noticed the same thing with mine,i fixed my tapping noise with a good oil flush like ENGINE DETOX Liqui Moli AND CHANGED OIL to a good Synthetic oil and it fixed that pesky tapping sound.

I have had my sportivo 3 months now and i noticed the same thing with mine,i fixed my tapping noise with a good oil flush like ENGINE DETOX Liqui Moli AND CHANGED OIL to a good Synthetic oil and it fixed that pesky tapping sound.

i am using semi syn now... mobil 10w40 not sure what they were using before i bought it...

Record the sound. But I wouldn't be to worried about it unless it just appeared one day.

I highly doubt it is related to your alternator. Mine sees similar voltages, a bit low but still ok. I've got to get around to taking some measurements to see if it is leaking electricity or the alternator is just slowly dying.

Does it sound like this

Or like this?

Record the sound. But I wouldn't be to worried about it unless it just appeared one day.

I highly doubt it is related to your alternator. Mine sees similar voltages, a bit low but still ok. I've got to get around to taking some measurements to see if it is leaking electricity or the alternator is just slowly dying.

Does it sound like this

Or like this?

i'll do that today, it sounds more like the third/last video... but its not as loud...

i'll get a video and PM u later today if thats ok =)

thanks

Does the noise go away when you open the throttle a little bit?

Have a read through this http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread...9837&page=2

I doubt you will have any problems, but be aware that changing the VVT mechanism over isn't too easy and if you pay someone they will over charge for it.

Does the noise go away when you open the throttle a little bit?

Have a read through this http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread...9837&page=2

I doubt you will have any problems, but be aware that changing the VVT mechanism over isn't too easy and if you pay someone they will over charge for it.

i dont think so... here is another video...

im applied a little acceleration plus little constant towards the end...

hope this helps...

and i read about that VVL stuff u gave me... the only reason why he did it was becuz he wasn't getting Lift right?

cheers

and i read about that VVL stuff u gave me... the only reason why he did it was becuz he wasn't getting Lift right?

Hard to follow, but from memory (I read it a long time ago) he was having lift issues but solved them when he had the oil filters in the head wrong or something. He was trying to fix the tapping noise by replacing the VVT mechanism since when he unplugged the VVT solenoid the ticking would go away.

NRG71C: The 1zz and 2zz both use a timing chain, but that does not mean they are maintenance free.

The chain also does make a tapping noise, as do many other things in the engine, unfortunately.

Dont quote me on it but the 2zz is a timing chain not a timing belt?

If so i had a similar issue with my old car was a chain tensioner that was worn.

yes the 2zz has a timing chain... ok here is both youtube videos one of mine and one from a celicas from SD's link...

i think the celica one is louder dont u think? maybe its becuz the cover is off... :g:

<< my sportivo

<< the other bloke's celica

BTW, i thought the engine flush cleans out the OSVs as well thats why people do it...

yeah it sucks though with the chain timing belt... but at least it prevents engine damage if the belt snaps... i remembered my old car's timing belt snapped but lucky i was parked in the car park and not going 100km/hr!

damn, i think this is beyond a DIY job... as it can be a lot of possiblities...

thanks anyways!

As far as your voltage issues- I wonder if there are wiring issues- earth or positive- wonder if its worth upgrading there? Past experience of similar things- see how hot those battery cables are getting. In the VT they were red hot- couldnt hold them. Upgrading these or doubling up with aftermarkets showed great improvement and stabilized charging...although i did need to do more work.......