stereo issue for 09 model

matt-starlet

Hey guys,

I had a customer come in at work yesterday with an '09 camry i think it is a mid range model. She is looking for iPod connectivity now toyota have told her that a company called auto extreme do a connectivity arrangement but it is $400-500 for it. So what do you think it is that they do and do you think that an fm transmitter is going to be the easiest way to do it.

Go to this thread:

Aux Input

Not the same thing mate.

Matt is referring to an iPod connectivity unit. I personally haven't seen it myself, but I would imagine it would be the same as the SoundLinQ iPod interface.

How much is the current 6 disc stack unit in the toyota's (with the Ipod/USB connectivity) ?

Wouldn't that be an option then?

Unless it is ridiculously priced.

That certainly would be an option. As far as I'm aware, it's only the facelift Altise and Sportivo that has a head unit that is not USB/iPod compatible, with the exception of the Grande that has the Satnav unit and cannot have iPod/USB connectivity. All other grades (except for the Grande) have the unit that is iPod compatible (unit shown in attached image).

The price of this unit as an accessory for the Altise/Sportivo would probably be around the $1000 mark I would imagine (haven't enquired about it myself). So if that were the case, a customer would be offered the iPod interface for $400-500 or the different head unit for double that. For some people, they see the $400 option as the cheapest but don't quite realise it may not be the most cost efficient. But also as well, this is mainly when ordering your car. If that were the case and they wanted the accessory unit on the Altise or Sportivo, they would then lose their steering wheel bluetooth controls as part of the package. This will then incur more costs if they want then, so then it starts getting to the point where the iPod interface looks like a better option.

Either way though, as an aftermarket upgrade, both will do the job, but it comes down to what they want to spend.

And Matt, as for your original question, an FM transmitter would do the trick but it probably wouldn't really be wise. Firstly the quality is not all the greatest (depending on how good your ears are) and secondly, you can't control the iPod through the head unit as you can with the interface kit.

dsc05257d.th.jpg

How much is the current 6 disc stack unit in the toyota's (with the Ipod/USB connectivity) ?

Wouldn't that be an option then?

Unless it is ridiculously priced.

That certainly would be an option. As far as I'm aware, it's only the facelift Altise and Sportivo that has a head unit that is not USB/iPod compatible, with the exception of the Grande that has the Satnav unit and cannot have iPod/USB connectivity. All other grades (except for the Grande) have the unit that is iPod compatible (unit shown in attached image).

The price of this unit as an accessory for the Altise/Sportivo would probably be around the $1000 mark I would imagine (haven't enquired about it myself). So if that were the case, a customer would be offered the iPod interface for $400-500 or the different head unit for double that. For some people, they see the $400 option as the cheapest but don't quite realise it may not be the most cost efficient. But also as well, this is mainly when ordering your car. If that were the case and they wanted the accessory unit on the Altise or Sportivo, they would then lose their steering wheel bluetooth controls as part of the package. This will then incur more costs if they want then, so then it starts getting to the point where the iPod interface looks like a better option.

Either way though, as an aftermarket upgrade, both will do the job, but it comes down to what they want to spend.

And Matt, as for your original question, an FM transmitter would do the trick but it probably wouldn't really be wise. Firstly the quality is not all the greatest (depending on how good your ears are) and secondly, you can't control the iPod through the head unit as you can with the interface kit.

dsc05257d.th.jpg

thanks daryl,

will pass this on to my customer without the last bit though and give them one of our fm trans for a decent price.

Okay the post by me from last week was about my head unit I bought off Ebay.

It cost about 500 Aud delivered and replace the cars unit as if factory made.

It plays DVD,Wma,Cda,Mp3 and Mp4.

Has reversing camera, blue tooth, IPOD CONNECTION, Sony CD Stacker Input, Tv - Analouge not digital,

Sat Nav and Aux in.

Sound is good, 45 x 4 channel and allows the use of the steering wheel controls.

Have a search under Ebay with Camry Satnav 2007 to 2009 and you should see a few.

Problem is if you have a drama you have to send it back to China.

I have seen some one in Melbourne selling these but I dare say he is getting them from China as well and his mark up was around 300 or so.

Also note that my unit started playing up about 6 months after install and I am in the process of a warrantie return.

Good luck.

Spied

I think the point here is not to replace with a non-genuine aftermarket unit... rather to keep with the factory unit. I'm sure Matt could easily just sell an aftermarket unit if he wishes. Not to mention, a fair few of the OEM style aftermarket units have pretty crap iPod integration compared to the SoundLinQ or Toyota genuine unit... or generic double DIN.

Hey guys,

I had a customer come in at work yesterday with an '09 camry i think it is a mid range model. She is looking for iPod connectivity now toyota have told her that a company called auto extreme do a connectivity arrangement but it is $400-500 for it. So what do you think it is that they do and do you think that an fm transmitter is going to be the easiest way to do it.

There's a few different products out there that might do the trick, this is one of them. Certainly not that expensive if you shop around.

I'm going to look at fitting one of these to my Hybrid Camry (with factory satnav).

Forget FM transmitters, they sound like crap.