SIMOTA CAI INSTALLED

Ok installed Simota today. Replaced Simota pod with K&N extreme.

Good response feeling. Better pick up pace. Great sound. Money well spent.

Coolant by pass done also.

slight change in idle for about 5mins. Drive the car hard for 10mins and it went away...

Second piece bracket doesn't line up. although easy found a place for a new screw position.

Edited by StylinBlackRollA

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simota CAI is a 2-piece. Seems a lot of people are asking this. I'll try to get some pictures. The long tube extends from the engine to approximately the fuse box (after making a ~90degree turn). The second much-shorter pipe connects the pod filter to the main pipe. The two pipes are connected by a rubber connector surrounded by an aluminium sleeve.

And it doesn't come with instructions, but installing a pipe is pretty simple anyway.

ok, i've got the intruction for K&N typhoon intake system here. not exactly like simota but the first few steps should be similar.

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/69-8601.pdf

hope this helps

Danz - i know 2-piece.. i didn't realise this. although i already had comments on the piece they say its nicely welded and very nice job. tube is 2 n 1/2 inch not a 3inch piece. mate some input here....

--Rudes-- thanks for verifying that mate. atleast its the right one to get fitted. on the box it states its for the rolla altis. i'm thinking that's the malaysian/asian countries model. let me know when you get some pics.

Doctony - nice work man. i wish you could get detailed install instructions like that for everything. hehe

on the box it states its for the rolla altis.

I did not realise this... They only get the 1ZZ engine over there so may not be 100% compatible... I thought there was a specific one for the 2ZZ... There are a few others with the Simoto CAI installed into the Sportivo with no issues though, I've seen 2 with my own eyes, and yes they do look smaller then the TRD and AEM pipes but the final placement of the pod is the same. Blackrolla had an issue with the join being loose on his I think due to the angle of the 2nd piece to the filter so be careful with that.

on the box it states its for the rolla altis.

I did not realise this... They only get the 1ZZ engine over there so may not be 100% compatible... I thought there was a specific one for the 2ZZ... There are a few others with the Simoto CAI installed into the Sportivo with no issues though, I've seen 2 with my own eyes, and yes they do look smaller then the TRD and AEM pipes but the final placement of the pod is the same. Blackrolla had an issue with the join being loose on his I think due to the angle of the 2nd piece to the filter so be careful with that.

thanks heaps for that blue_stivo it has made peace with me.

i don't see anything wrong just wondering if it did come in 2 piece.

i'll look out for the join.

is there any added brackets needed to hold this cai? or everything fits in place?

thanks heaps for that blue_stivo it has made peace with me.

i don't see anything wrong just wondering if it did come in 2 piece.

i'll look out for the join. 

is there any added brackets needed to hold this cai? or everything fits in place?

It comes with two brackets... one on the main pipe and one on the secondary pipe... in theory, I think the bracket on the main pipe is meant to screw down to one of the holes the airbox is mounted to, and the bracket on the secondary pipe screws down to a hole just before the opening where your pod fits through... in reality though, it's pretty hard getting the pipe positioned to allow this... I've only managed to get the main pipe bracket screwed in... but it still sits in place nicely...

You can see the bracket that's connected to the secondary pipe. The gold washer and screw is where that bracket is meant to attach to the chassis "theoretically".

Also, in the foreground you can see the aluminium sleeve and blue rubber connector (underneath the sleeve) that connects the main pipe to the secondary pipe. If you take the red positive terminal on the battery (blurry red thing on the left) as a reference, you can see how long the main pipe is compared to the secondary pipe (look at the first pic).

post-591-1117260312_thumb.jpg

You can see the bracket that's connected to the secondary pipe. The gold washer and screw is where that bracket is meant to attach to the chassis "theoretically".

Also, in the foreground you can see the aluminium sleeve and blue rubber connector (underneath the sleeve) that connects the main pipe to the secondary pipe. If you take the red positive terminal on the battery (blurry red thing on the left) as a reference, you can see how long the main pipe is compared to the secondary pipe (look at the first pic).

post-591-1117260312_thumb.jpg

hmm that's worry about secondary piping bracket. i'll leave that to autobarn to sort out. for $50 can't go wrong they have to put up with the headaches if anything goes wrong.

by the way --Rudes-- what filter did you end up using on your simota? i swapped mine for the k&n extreme.

Danz - CAI is not fitted until wednesday. and i am seriously thinking about dyno-ing the car soon after just to see what outputs its gained with the k&n extreme filter. i'm hoping 4-5kw.

--Rudes-- good to hear its actually made a difference. so only top end difference? any mid range feel? or revs easier?

i'll soon know by wednesday. let me know your progress.. and by the way did you leave that second piping bracket alone or you worked out a way to mount it?

good,  dyno it and see how it goes. that material on simota (from the look of it), looks the same as the one my friend have.

yeah its not bad at all, only comes in polished. which isn't bad, i'm sourcing HPC coating for it. it helps working for dulux :D

i've also got alot of experience in alloy. and it desperses heat very fast but i still don't want any air to get heated. HPC should be nice.

I kept the Simota Pod. Secondary pipe bracket is not screwed in, but is resting on the chassis, so it's still acting as a support. You might want to see what Autobarn do with this.

I have exhaust mods, so the little difference I felt with the CAI mod may not carry through to your car. The only real way to determine gains is to dyno the car. Let me know how your car goes.

I kept the Simota Pod. Secondary pipe bracket is not screwed in, but is resting on the chassis, so it's still acting as a support. You might want to see what Autobarn do with this.

I have exhaust mods, so the little difference I felt with the CAI mod may not carry through to your car. The only real way to determine gains is to dyno the car. Let me know how your car goes.

oh ok. yeah as soon as i saw the simota pod i wasn't overly impressed specially with the size. i then had a choice between a standard k&n or a k&n extreme.

seeing that majority of people on this site recomends the extreme's i took that path.

2 days to go til install. i'll have pictures available for you and definately see what autobarn will do on the second piping mount. i'd say they will probably just screw it in with a new mounting spot.