Stock Dyno Run???

yoz-r6

Hey guys and gals,

just wondering if anyone has a Dyno run on their completely stock Aurion? Reason being, i'm having mine done next week after an exhaust and CAI mod, and would like to compare before and after.

Now i know what most of you are asking yourselves "Why didn't you do a before Dyno?" and the answer is cause i asked them to do a before dyno, and they couldn't cause they didnt know how to turn the traction control off. Dunno why they couldn't ring me to find out, the procedure was right there in the driver's side pocket, so they said they'll gimme a Dyno run next week, and i can try and find one stock on the net somewhere..

So if anyone can help, please post a pic of the "before any mods" dyno run!

Thanks heaps in advance...

-Yoz! :D

Hey guys and gals,

just wondering if anyone has a Dyno run on their completely stock Aurion? Reason being, i'm having mine done next week after an exhaust and CAI mod, and would like to compare before and after.

Now i know what most of you are asking yourselves "Why didn't you do a before Dyno?" and the answer is cause i asked them to do a before dyno, and they couldn't cause they didnt know how to turn the traction control off. Dunno why they couldn't ring me to find out, the procedure was right there in the driver's side pocket, so they said they'll gimme a Dyno run next week, and i can try and find one stock on the net somewhere..

So if anyone can help, please post a pic of the "before any mods" dyno run!

Thanks heaps in advance...

-Yoz! :D

Any figure stock figure from another car is highly likely to be different from what your car currently outputs, and hence would defeat the purpose of a using it to calculate the approx. power gains of an exhaust and CAI. Even dyno runs done on different days can affect the readings - ideally you'd want a run on a dyno, then have the mods fitted and do another run afterwards on the same day and same dyno.

Actually considering the ECU and it's learning feature maybe you'd be best leaving it a few days for everything to settle back in before the followup dyno-run. Either way, get your car dyno'd before the mods (and post it here :) )

Very interested to see what gains you get with the mods. Ideally a few 1/4 mile runs before the mods and then after would show the actual real world gains, but dyno figures will do

There has been quite a bit of variation in the 'stock' Aurion dyno figures which mostly comes down to the dyno itself and the conditions on the day.

The differences are around 5-10HP at the wheels which may not seem like a lot, but when you compare it to another dyno chart, you may think you have gained much more than you really have.... if you have gained anything at all.

But like I have said before (and Steven has said above), the 1/4 mile is a pretty good indication.

unfortunatley they didn't do the stock dyno run before they fitted the exhaust, and fitted the new one anyway. lets just say i was less than pleased that they didn't even ring me to ask if i knew how to turn the traction control off, their excuse is that "it wasn't in the owner's manual" so they went ahead and fitted the exhaust anyway, so i'm afraid i'll never know what the difference is in terms of gain. but i'll post the new dyno run anyway when it gets done next week.

as for the quarter mile runs, i'm planning on doing a few next wed, so i'll know how it goes then. good news is that i have 3 quarter mile runs already, before i did any mods on the car, so i'll at least be able to compare those and see what the difference in times are.

as for the HP readings, i'll try and source one from toyota, my dad has a friend that works in Toyota HQ and hopefully he'll find something...

the other alternative is to get someone with an aurion here in Perth to come with me and like you said, do them both on the same day, same place, same dyno.

got a feeling Hertz or Thrifty is gonna get a call! haha!

as for the quarter mile runs, i'm planning on doing a few next wed, so i'll know how it goes then. good news is that i have 3 quarter mile runs already, before i did any mods on the car, so i'll at least be able to compare those and see what the difference in times are.

Just a note on this, it's not the time that you will be the most concerned with... it's the trap speed (the speed you were going at the end of the 1/4 mile). As long as your car is close to the same weight it was when you did your other runs (so try to put in the same amount of fuel, don't take out anything you had in there previously, etc) then an increase in trap speed is usually a good indication that your power-to-weight ratio has increased.

as for the HP readings, i'll try and source one from toyota, my dad has a friend that works in Toyota HQ and hopefully he'll find something...

Well for sake of the discussion, stock Aurion's tend to dyno anywhere between 192HP at the wheels up to about 205HP at the wheels.

Well for sake of the discussion, stock Aurion's tend to dyno anywhere between 192HP at the wheels up to about 205HP at the wheels.

thanks for that darryl. i'll see how i go next week, and let everyone else here know!

Ok so here's the dyno run from today, AFTER the exhaust and CAI installation.

To be pretty honest, i was rather surprised at the result, 231HP @ 5600RPM is pretty good IMO for a naturally aspirated V6!

Tomorrow....the quarter mile....

dyno.gif

Ok so here's the dyno run from today, AFTER the exhaust and CAI installation.

To be pretty honest, i was rather surprised at the result, 231HP @ 5600RPM is pretty good IMO for a naturally aspirated V6!

Tomorrow....the quarter mile....

dyno.gif

Very nice result - I've very keen to see the 1/4 mile result now!

I don't want to rain on your parade.... but I wouldn't trust those results completely as a wheel HP figure.

I'll just say that Dynojet dyno's don't really give accurate representation of power at the wheels. Instead, they tend to provide a figure that is a closer representation of the power at the flywheel. This means that around the 200HP area, a Dynojet dyno can read up to around 15% higher than what the true figure would be at the wheels.

i hear what you're saying, and i questioned them about the accuracy of the results, cause they did seem a bit high to me. but they assured me that their dyno is very well calibrated, and regularly has the team from WA DRAG RACING club come down to do their cars during the summer, so its very reliable.

they are one of the best mobs here in perth, and i know they aren't out to try and trick anyone and give dicky results. but thanks for that djkor, i guess the real results will be tomorrow night!

i hear what you're saying, and i questioned them about the accuracy of the results, cause they did seem a bit high to me. but they assured me that their dyno is very well calibrated, and regularly has the team from WA DRAG RACING club come down to do their cars during the summer, so its very reliable.

they are one of the best mobs here in perth, and i know they aren't out to try and trick anyone and give dicky results. but thanks for that djkor, i guess the real results will be tomorrow night!

I'm not saying the results aren't true. I'm saying that the Dynojet is built to give a figure which does not factor in drivetrain losses in the same way the Dyno Dynamics dyno does. As a result, the HP figure you have would be accurate... but not as a wheel horsepower figure... but rather as a flywheel horsepower figure. Hence when you compare it to the others here that have used a Dyno Dynamics dyno (nearly all that have posted figures here), you will find that it will show higher than theirs.

ok, so this is my first attempt at posting a video clip, lemme know if it doesn't work!

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!
Edited by yoz-r6

Ok random question as im not familer with a Dynojet system but why isnt there any sort of fan infront of your car? surely that can't be good for the thing?

Ok random question as im not familer with a Dynojet system but why isnt there any sort of fan infront of your car? surely that can't be good for the thing?

That did occur to me when they set it up, and the reason i didn't ask is cause they only did 2 runs on it, both of which were very similar, so i was happy and so were they, so we left it at that. had there been more runs, then i def would have asked them to put a fan there, cause i know how much this thing can heat up quite quickly.

on a side note, last night at the drag strip, i managed to run a 14.5 quarter mile time, at +/- 152 or 153kmph so imo the exhaust and CAI did make quite a bit of difference. i know DJKOR ran a 14.1 but it was quite a warm night here in perth, so i dunno if that had anything to do with it? but all in all, i'm happy with the results, and bragging right are mine with my mates for the time being, till one of them gets a quicker one and beats me.

there were quite a few comments after i ran the 14.5, a lot of people were surprised to see an Aurion on the drag strip, let alone see it run 14.5secs!

i'll load the timeslip when i get home later tonight just for verification!

• 1 month later...

That did occur to me when they set it up, and the reason i didn't ask is cause they only did 2 runs on it, both of which were very similar, so i was happy and so were they, so we left it at that. had there been more runs, then i def would have asked them to put a fan there, cause i know how much this thing can heat up quite quickly.

on a side note, last night at the drag strip, i managed to run a 14.5 quarter mile time, at +/- 152 or 153kmph so imo the exhaust and CAI did make quite a bit of difference. i know DJKOR ran a 14.1 but it was quite a warm night here in perth, so i dunno if that had anything to do with it? but all in all, i'm happy with the results, and bragging right are mine with my mates for the time being, till one of them gets a quicker one and beats me.

there were quite a few comments after i ran the 14.5, a lot of people were surprised to see an Aurion on the drag strip, let alone see it run 14.5secs!

i'll load the timeslip when i get home later tonight just for verification!

Hi,

I have just put my car on the Dyno @ VE Rigoli in sydney......I got 143.6KW with a short ram intake.

How do i get more power??

Thanks

I have just put my car on the Dyno @ VE Rigoli in sydney......I got 143.6KW with a short ram intake.

How do i get more power??

More power as in you just want a figure that will look better, or more power as in usable power?

You can do things like getting your front exhaust merge fixed up, and this may get you a better figure but when it comes to whether or not those slight increases actually make a difference, the difference is very minor if any.

If you want to get some good power out of your Aurion, forced induction would be the way you would have to go to get something serious out of it.

Personally, firstly work on reducing unnecessary weight in your car to improve your power-to-weight ratio. Then work on improving things like suspension so the power can be put to the ground decently.