Locking System Issues

Foss

I think theres something wrong with my locking system. Its been giving me issues for about a week or so, but I put it down to the fact the key battery is going flat.

What's been happening is that when I walk up to the door and grab the handle, sometimes the car won't unlock. If I take a few steps back, walk up again and grab it, or if I pull the key fob out of my pocket and press the button it works fine. Once unlocked, I have had no trouble pressing the button on the door to lock it again...

Until this morning.

Went out to my car to go to work and grabbed the handle. Nothing. Took a few steps back, walked back up, and grabbed the handle. Nothing. Took the fob outta pocket and pressed the button. Nothing. Nothing from the boot release either. Wasn't gonna test the alarm button at half 7. Resisting the urge to peg the key fob up the street, went inside and got the other one. Grabbed the handle, unlocked no worries. Got in, started fine, drove to work. When I got to work, I got out and pressed the button on the door. Nothing. Took out the 'flat' key fob and tried again. Nothing. Put the flat one on the kerb a few feet up from the car, to make sure it was well out of range and tried again. Nothing. Pressed the lock button on good fob. Nothing. Same with 'flat' one. Ended up locking the car manually.

Anybody had similar issues?

I think theres something wrong with my locking system. Its been giving me issues for about a week or so, but I put it down to the fact the key battery is going flat.

What's been happening is that when I walk up to the door and grab the handle, sometimes the car won't unlock. If I take a few steps back, walk up again and grab it, or if I pull the key fob out of my pocket and press the button it works fine. Once unlocked, I have had no trouble pressing the button on the door to lock it again...

Until this morning.

Went out to my car to go to work and grabbed the handle. Nothing. Took a few steps back, walked back up, and grabbed the handle. Nothing. Took the fob outta pocket and pressed the button. Nothing. Nothing from the boot release either. Wasn't gonna test the alarm button at half 7. Resisting the urge to peg the key fob up the street, went inside and got the other one. Grabbed the handle, unlocked no worries. Got in, started fine, drove to work. When I got to work, I got out and pressed the button on the door. Nothing. Took out the 'flat' key fob and tried again. Nothing. Put the flat one on the kerb a few feet up from the car, to make sure it was well out of range and tried again. Nothing. Pressed the lock button on good fob. Nothing. Same with 'flat' one. Ended up locking the car manually.

Anybody had similar issues?

Mate there are quite a few situations which could cause the Smart entry/startsystem remote to operate incorrectly as stated in your hand book such as carrying it in your same pocket with your mobile phone, anything that emits radio waves.egTelevisions,computers,should be a minimum of 1metre away.

To eliminate the remote I would simply change the battery using a good quality lithium cell (CR2032).

If it fixes the problem at least then you know that it was run down (for the sake of a few dollars) but what ever you do dont throw the remote in anger as its not as simple as just buying another remote and the cost to program it to your cars system would be like purchasing a pallet of new batteries.

When you take the back off the remote DO NOT be tempted to run your finger over the electronics inside as STATIC ELECTRICITY will destroy it in a blink same as a computer,

hope that helps you out mate

To me it just sounds like your battery in the remote needs changing

I doubt i would be interference when I have parked in the same spot at home for the past 5 months, and roughly the same spot near work since I've had the car, and not had any trouble in the past. I wouldn't think it'd be a battery either, coz the spare only has a new battery put in a few weeks back. But then, stranger things have happened.

And don't worry, I would never throw my key fob. I'm sure we all know that feeling of such frustration at something that you just wanna throw the bloody thing, but at pushing $300 (or whatever it is) replacement cost, thats money that I could spend better on other things. Like mods for my car. :D

If the problem lies within the battery, you'll see the small red light dot on the remote flashes dimmer. Even then, my remote still works. Sometimes I have to touch the handle twice to get it open / close.

the cheapest way would be to try a new battery and go from there.mine had some issues when the battery was going and i was reminded with the display telling me so.they say to replace them every 2 years. There are'nt any neighbours with a big microwave dish are there ?.

i've seen a couple of issues (strange ones) when a car is parked near a TAB and the car won't open , another brand vehicle would not start . i told the nrma man to push it 100 meters down the road and try again and off it went.

Replace one of the batteries the other day (Holy cash grab Batman! They're $20 each!). It seems ok now. Odd though that after only 6 months the battery in the spare went, and that key never gets used. Also odd is that the spare wasn't giving me any warning on screen about it being low.

Replace one of the batteries the other day (Holy cash grab Batman! They're $20 each!). It seems ok now. Odd though that after only 6 months the battery in the spare went, and that key never gets used. Also odd is that the spare wasn't giving me any warning on screen about it being low.

Thats great news mate :clap: Just another point you might be interested in regarding the remotes in those which use the ( SMART START SYSTEM ), the remote and the car are always communicating with each other even when it is shut down such as parked in the garage overnight.

Thats why we always remove the remote out of the car and keep it inside as believe it or not that would have to use power from within the remote surely, mate i might be wrong, but if they are constantly in touch with each other it has to be getting power from within itself to be able to do that.

Speaking of spare remotes the wife took my V6 SR Dual cab to work last week,anyway she used the spare remote which is 18 months old now and it has an unbelievable range so I guess Totota must use a high quality battery in the hilux.

Sorry I cant comment on the logivity of the remotes for our ZR6 as she uses one and I use the other

so when we open it up the seats and external mirrors reset,

good point conrod. i had to chase a battery issue with one aurion and the owner was found to leave the remote in the car all of the time in his garage. You don't even realise that you can sometimes leave the acc on . But your correct when saying the constant communication with the receiver as it can cause the cars battery to flatten in a couple of days. Toyota technical department assures me it can with their testing so advise all smart entry users to remove keys from cars , even cars stored in our dealership workshop over a weekend , keys need to be taken out.

also how would you go with your home/car insurance if your car is stolen and you left the keys/remote in it whilst in the garage ????

good point conrod. i had to chase a battery issue with one aurion and the owner was found to leave the remote in the car all of the time in his garage. You don't even realise that you can sometimes leave the acc on . But your correct when saying the constant communication with the receiver as it can cause the cars battery to flatten in a couple of days. Toyota technical department assures me it can with their testing so advise all smart entry users to remove keys from cars , even cars stored in our dealership workshop over a weekend , keys need to be taken out.

also how would you go with your home/car insurance if your car is stolen and you left the keys/remote in it whilst in the garage ????

Thats something alot of Aurion owners probably dont think about GSV40R. When you park your beast in the garage overnight,the remote doesnt even need to be in line of site for the car to be started and driven off,as long as it is detected by the cars ECU,it could be on the floor,in the consol,under the seat,either way its ready to start the car

Hey, So did you get it fixed up in the end Chris? If not book it in and get it looked at? ha i was over in Ulverstone today and noticed a tidy looking white ZR6 parked on the side of the road then i realised it was your bus :) White ZR's look damm good!