Car Creaks when coming to a Stop on Braking

byw

My TRD creaks when it's just about to come to a stop on braking and it tends to be louder if the car is going down a hill and softer if the car is going up a hill! It sometimes (but not always) make a similar sound when I release the brake and take off after coming to a stop (but the creak is much softer). :angry: It does not seem to be coming from the brakes, more like it's coming from the front suspension?

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks in advance for your comments. :D

My TRD creaks when it's just about to come to a stop on braking and it tends to be louder if the car is going down a hill and softer if the car is going up a hill! It sometimes (but not always) make a similar sound when I release the brake and take off after coming to a stop (but the creak is much softer). :angry: It does not seem to be coming from the brakes, more like it's coming from the front suspension?

Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks in advance for your comments. :D

I had this exact same issue a few days ago after I washed the car, but found after I left the car alone for 24 hours the sound had disappeared. How often do you wash your car? It sounds like a long shot but I don't believe in coincidences.

I had this exact same issue a few days ago after I washed the car, but found after I left the car alone for 24 hours the sound had disappeared. How often do you wash your car? It sounds like a long shot but I don't believe in coincidences.

Funny you say that... As you know, we had a huge downpour a couple of weeks ago here in Perth and most of the intersections were flooded near my office and on the way home I had to cross a few pools of water a couple of feet deep. Maybe some water got into certain areas where normal wet/rainy road conditions does not? It's been a while now and the creaks are still there. :(

It is most likely moisture on the pads. They take a while to dry.

As long as you are stopping fast enough without hearing scratching or crunching noises you should be fine.

When stopping if you hear:

Scratching and crunching = bad sign

Squealing and creaking when wet (even days after) = normal but keep an ear out

Whining and whinging = don't drive with the missus in the TRD

It is most likely moisture on the pads. They take a while to dry.

You would think that with the amount of heat generated from using the brakes the pads would dry up pretty quickly?? I drive the car everyday and sometimes need to do a bit of hard braking... :spiteful:

Whining and whinging = don't drive with the missus in the TRD

LOL!! I try to avoid getting in the car with the missus when she's in that sort of mood... :whistling:

With respect to moisture on the pads, brakes can get a bit noisy when they have been wet like while it is raining or just after washing the car. This sound should only be there fore a couple of applications of the brakes though... unless you are driving in the wet.

As for just noise in general, I have found the TRD brakes do make a fair bit more noise when stopping when compared to brakes on the non-TRD. This is more of a light grinding sound, but not one that would make you concerned. More like sliding metal on a cutting stone. I think this is more due to the fact that the stock TRD pads are rather abrasive and combined with a larger surface area, they just make that noise.

That though is nothing to be concerned about and you only really notice it if you are paying attention.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I have taken delivery of my brand new Aurion ATx (2013 Model) in early Nov 2013 from Sydney City Toyota Glebe. No negative surprises during the first month. Then as per schedule, I sent it in to them for the 1-month service (my car odo reading was as around 730Km). After the service, I noticed a definite change in the braking characteristics of my ATx - it creaks (with a "crocking" noise) when coming to a stop on braking (just at the very last fraction of a second before full stop), and the car also tends to give a "mild-*****" like a wheel locking up for a sudden stop. To avoid this symptom, I must be extra careful and gentle when stopping/braking. I sent my car back to the Toyota Service Centre and thinking that this is just a matter of brake-force adjustment overdone. Surprise, surprise, they told me that no adjustment what-so-ever had been done during the 1-month service. They just done a few inspections and did a car wash as usual. Furthermore, they insisted that the "crocking" noise when come to a stop on braking is a typical braking characteristic of the Toyota Aurion car. I can't believe this because the braking characteristics of my ATx has definitely CHANGED before and after the 1-month service (from my hands-on experience). I then requested a brand new Toyota Aurion demo car from their sales department for a quick road test. It confirmed that my car was behaving like the new Aurion demo car before, and it has changed after the service. The difference is that: when driving the new Aurion demo car (which my car was behaving in a similar manner before), one must intentionally (or consciously) try hard (by hard stopping/braking) to get the crocking sound (not the noise of ABS activation). My car in its present state: One must intentionally (or consciously) try hard (by extra careful slow and gentle stopping/braking) in order to avoid the “crocking sound”. BUT the service centre manager insisted that: since even the brand new Aurion is making such a noise (much softer), it is therefore a normal braking characteristic of Toyota Aurion car. I do not accept such a reasoning because my hands-on driving experience of my ATx told me there is definite change of behaviour as described above. I am now monitoring the noise situation for a couple of weeks, and then decide on the next steps in dealing with Sydney City Toyota Service Centre. Any one has similar experience with any of the latest models of Toyota Aurion? Your comments will be appreciated.