STOCK ECU TUNING

Im thinking of taking my zre to a workshop to get it dyno tuned, in regards to the Injen CAI install. I feel like down low revs its a bit laggy and slower now. I want to get it tuned anyway.. because i know cai will change a/f ratio after install. Hopefully i dont get the CEL again.

Plus i hope i hit 80kw @ the front wheels.. for a laugh! lol

My question is.. can the standard ECU be tuned for running with my CAI?

If say they reflash it, and tune it for CAI will it be hard-wired into the system? Wat if one day i take the CAI off and put back on stock??

That's what I was thinking Johnnie, "Is it even possible to reflash the stock ECU?" but it looks like you can't, like CHA54 said.

The guy at chasers probably thought you were talking about tuning an aftermarket ECU. Maybe you should ask him again and say it's for stock ECU. :)

Peter.

you can't reflash or "tune" the stock ECU.

Thats interesting but not surprising. Over on the Ford Terrritory forums owners are discussing how ECU "reflashes" or tunes are voiding warranty and other issues. Obviously, the tone in this forum is more positve towards getting the most out of our cars and not complaining about warranty issues (may be a demographic thing ie older owners v revheads), but you may want to be aware that any mods will more than likely leave you out on a limb when it comes to any warranty. Having said that how much more kw can we get from chipping a new corolla?

you can't reflash or "tune" the stock ECU.

Thats interesting but not surprising. Over on the Ford Terrritory forums owners are discussing how ECU "reflashes" or tunes are voiding warranty and other issues. Obviously, the tone in this forum is more positve towards getting the most out of our cars and not complaining about warranty issues (may be a demographic thing ie older owners v revheads), but you may want to be aware that any mods will more than likely leave you out on a limb when it comes to any warranty. Having said that how much more kw can we get from chipping a new corolla?

dude, i installed Injen cold air intake.. my warranty is gone

generally speaking, ford ECU's can be chipped/flashed/whatever. Toyota ones cannot.

You guys could try a piggyback (Greddy Emanage, Camcon, AEM FIC, Apexi SAFC, etc) or a whole new ecu (haltech, motec, microtec, etc)

That said, I fail to see the point in bothering if you are just doing I-H-E (intake, headers, exhaust) mods.

dont u just reset the ecu to make it respond better to the cai???

the problem is the engine light and picking it up with error code p0171, - running lean. we want to get rid of engine light and are doing whatever it takes to get rid of it but at a small cost. i've looked at piggy back ecu's but dam they are like $450ish.

resetting ecu clear the problem for a day but then it comes bak and becomes laggy.

sounds like stock ecu's can't be tuned. johnny i asked my mate and he sed his pretty certain you cant. so yeah i hope toyota comes up with a solution to fix the engine light today!!

fingers crossed!

Edited by shin0bi

the problem is the engine light and picking it up with error code p0171, - running lean.

Probably turn up to a dyno day to see what the AFR is. It might actually be too lean, or it could just be the ECU being pedantic about a slight, but not critical, leaning out which could probably be worked around in some way.

What do the Yanks do about the CEL on their CAIs?

the problem is the engine light and picking it up with error code p0171, - running lean.

Probably turn up to a dyno day to see what the AFR is. It might actually be too lean, or it could just be the ECU being pedantic about a slight, but not critical, leaning out which could probably be worked around in some way.

What do the Yanks do about the CEL on their CAIs?

thanks dave,

yeah i might end up doin just that... as for the americans, not too sure i'll look into that..

Hey did you ask if the later 09 build or ZR's were any diff, as ive done exhaust and CAI and still no CEL

hey pete,

nah i didn't ask i'll ask next time i go in ... so wierd lol but charlies is 08 n its fine..