CES CAI or cheaper one ?

Hi guys ,

down in QLD for a few days before flying back to NSW.

Looking to buy a CAI for the Sportivo but not too sure which direction to go .

I know there has been endless debate and info posted on this forum but the Price tag is a main factor .

CES store is only 15 mins from where i'm staying in QLD .

Question is , " Should i spend the $5xx on the CES CAI or spend less on perhaps plazmaman.com $345 which i can get from SYD"

I know CES CAI has proven Dyno results/Gains however if the price was lower or i could get a 2nd hand i wouldnt think twice about getting it..

i have a trd cai. the next thing i plan on doing is changing over to a CES one. im not sure on the performance between the two but surely it wouldnt be too different? either way they look heaps cooler. go to CES they make great products.

Just wait the extra time, and save your money.

Get the CES CAI when you can afford it, and you'll be pleased to say the least.

how much is a CES CAI??

Its all good.. i found it... For the 2ZZGE its 512 n for the 1ZZ FE its 407...

How do the CES CAI go agaisnt TRD and Injen. Sound and fitment wise?

I had a similar question in my head , went thorugh

"PREVIOUSLY COVERED TOPICS - HAVE A READ BEFORE POSTING AS IT MAY ALREADY HAVE BEEN COVERED" and looked at CAI Section

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5503

Gave me a lot of answers i was after ..

lots of reading...

How do the CES CAI go agaisnt TRD and Injen. Sound and fitment wise?

I had a similar question in my head , went thorugh

"PREVIOUSLY COVERED TOPICS - HAVE A READ BEFORE POSTING AS IT MAY ALREADY HAVE BEEN COVERED" and looked at CAI Section

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5503

Gave me a lot of answers i was after ..

lots of reading...

Yeah sorta been through most of that, just wondering how they fit vs the TRD cai where people have problems with it touching the fog light.

I had no problems at all with my CES Cold Air Intake on my 2003 Corolla Sportivo.

Made an excellent sound.

I had CES install it themselves, along with their Cat-back Exhaust and Headers.

HAHAHA :lol:

CES fanboy lol :P

i too think CES is very good quality, for my charger wouldn't be as awesome without it :D

CES intake ftw!

Do your car a favour and get the CES CAI, it has been argued blah blah blah etc. ;)

Evo

Thought i'd chuck in my 2 cents, pretty much just adding to the confirmation that the CES CAI is pretty damn awesome. Sounds great and well worth saving for. You wont be dissapointed.

Darren.

Wait a secound so are you guys saying that some cais acturly sound different i thought they all sounded the same as its just a metal pipe :S

Dave

The best one I've heard was a custom alloy intake with 6" podram. Was shorter than the TRD/CES CAI's too so had better throttle response, that required a battery relocation though.

For $500 I'd want something more than a coated mild steel intake personally.

pics of the alloy intake referenced:

2zzintake1.jpg

2zzintake2.jpg

Edited by CHA54

Wait a secound so are you guys saying that some cais acturly sound different i thought they all sounded the same as its just a metal pipe :S

Dave

The best one I've heard was a custom alloy intake with 6" podram. Was shorter than the TRD/CES CAI's too so had better throttle response, that required a battery relocation though.

For $500 I'd want something more than a coated mild steel intake personally.

pics of the alloy intake referenced:

2zzintake1.jpg

2zzintake2.jpg

Thanks for the Photos CHA54 , i know there were many requests for photos in other CAI topics but i rarely saw any..

Luckily i asked as there are many opinions however more biased towards CES due to proven dyno results .

Are there any other Dyno results of cheaper CAIs that are available to Aus buyers.

Where was the custom alloy intake in the photo fabricated ?

Thanks for the Photos CHA54 , i know there were many requests for photos in other CAI topics but i rarely saw any..

Luckily i asked as there are many opinions however more biased towards CES due to proven dyno results .

Are there any other Dyno results of cheaper CAIs that are available to Aus buyers.

I made the intake pictured myself in my shed, but any half-competant fabricator should be able to knock one up in around 2-3 hours of labour (~$80/hr)

It consisted of:

$42.75 of 3" tube (including the 90deg mandrel bend that was chopped up to get the required bends)

$6 for 200mm of 3" tube that was modified so it was a press fit inside the other 3" tube at the maf section and then welded on the inner circumference (to bring cross-section at MAF to 70mm so it reads correctly and doesn't throw a CEL)

$58 for the 3">6" podram that is welded to the end of the intake for the filter

$100ish for the 6" base K&N filter (or $160-180 if you buy from somewhere like autobarn)

$3 for the alloy flat bar used for the mounting tab

$30 for a CNC machined alloy MAF flange (a real machined piece, not a dodgey item requiring spacers for the bolts or similar)

The battery tray mods required about $1 worth of steel flat bar and 1 hour labour.

So all of that including battery tray mod for relocation (similar to blitz charger battery relocation) comes to a smidge under $500 being generous on the labour time. I'd make another to sell if I had access to a sportivo to make it up on after I finish my cressida conversion.

People in Brisbane could go somewhere like Extreme Custom Engineering in Coopers Plains to get something similar made, his alloy work is perfect and sources things like the podram from Brisbane Metal Spinners.

TRD intakes are Dyno proven to increase power, the one I made replaced a TRD item and made a decent increase to midrange power (where the sportivo desperately needs an increase)

Edited by CHA54

I made the intake pictured myself in my shed, but any half-competant fabricator should be able to knock one up in around 2-3 hours of labour (~$80/hr)

It consisted of:

$42.75 of 3" tube (including the 90deg mandrel bend that was chopped up to get the required bends)

$6 for 200mm of 3" tube that was modified so it was a press fit inside the other 3" tube at the maf section and then welded on the inner circumference (to bring cross-section at MAF to 70mm so it reads correctly and doesn't throw a CEL)

$58 for the 3">6" podram that is welded to the end of the intake for the filter

$100ish for the 6" base K&N filter (or $160-180 if you buy from somewhere like autobarn)

$3 for the alloy flat bar used for the mounting tab

$30 for a CNC machined alloy MAF flange (a real machined piece, not a dodgey item requiring spacers for the bolts or similar)

The battery tray mods required about $1 worth of steel flat bar and 1 hour labour.

So all of that including battery tray mod for relocation (similar to blitz charger battery relocation) comes to a smidge under $500 being generous on the labour time. I'd make another to sell if I had access to a sportivo to make it up on after I finish my cressida conversion.

People in Brisbane could go somewhere like Extreme Custom Engineering in Coopers Plains to get something similar made, his alloy work is perfect and sources things like the podram from Brisbane Metal Spinners.

TRD intakes are Dyno proven to increase power, the one I made replaced a TRD item and made a decent increase to midrange power (where the sportivo desperately needs an increase)

Man thats some hardcore detail ..

Once again must praise you for the info provided with perfect details. ;)