Re-waxing

Foss

My previous cars were a bit sh!t, so I rarely went further than a wash and the occasional polish with them, therefore I'm relatively inexperienced in this whole detailing game. But I'm really, really anal about the finish of my Aurion, so I've gotten hardcore into detailing.

Anyway, the time has come and gone to re-wax my car. I waxed her about 4 months ago, and she's well and truly ready for another go-over.

Is there anything special I need to do to prep the surface before applying a fresh coat of wax? Or will a wash, dry, clay, scratch/swirl removal, and polish do?

4 months! In my eyes, she is well overdue. If you think you're anal, I wax my Aurion every Sunday :lol:.

Personally, my recommendation would be to give her a good clean with a good car washing liquid that is made to prepare the surface (ie. strips wax), then clay her thoroughly, after which you can swirl treat if necessary/desired, followed by a polish (once again, if desired), then a good wax.

well depends..... if ur in a "clean" city, then waxing it once every 7 months would be good :)

tassie is clean (compared to melbourne and sydney) so ur ok with a good FULL detail evey 6 months.

wash, paint cleaner, claybar, scratch/swirl X, polish and wax :) (around 7+ hrs) <_<

i just did johnniboi's bonnet and he cant believe the shine on it :D

i just went over with full detail and i didnt think the clay bar caught as much contaminants as i thought... might give it a skip next waxing period :)

Just on this topic, in your particular situation - IF you are only planning on waxing your car every few months, then i would suggest you use a SYNTHETIC based car wax. Those who have read my previous posts know i will recommend meguiars, in particular NXT tech wax 2.0

reason for recommending this product:

1. Synthetics WILL protect your car surface longer than a carnuba based wax

2. NXT 2.0 will do wonders on a white car! NXT is my primary winter wax and my base layer of wax during summer. on lighter coloured cars it really brings out the gloss and reflection...

as mentioned before by DJKOR, a good wash, clay, and wax is the bare minimum needed to get your car slicked up :)

the swirl removing and polishing steps should be used if needed. normally with the quality of waxs nowadays the polishing step is very much a optional step. you will find that a lot of consumer branded waxes will also have some very minor "filling" ability to "hide" the light swirls in your paint

good luck :)

Here is a wax question.

At what point after say... doing what DJKOR does and wax once a week, do you need to strip any existing layers of wax off? I'm going to say it's not after a set number of waxes, but what indicators should you be looking out for?

• 3 weeks later...

using paste or liquid waxes to wax your vehicle's surface once a week is excessive and wasteful on your behalf - in terms of money and effort. but if you get off on that, then dats all good :)

if there are already 2 consistent layers of wax on the surface, application of more layers of wax will be redundant, as the new application of wax applied to the surface will have no "non waxed metal" to bond with. so at residue removal, your removing 90-100% of the new wax you just put on - wasting time and effort and cents per application.

3 months is a guideline, but there is no universal rule as to how long your wax will last, it all depends on conditions of your car and the environment your car is exposed to. anyone who tells u any wax will only last a certain amount of time as no idea what they are doing, nor what they will be doing to your car.

E.G.

If you placed 2 consistent coats of wax on your weekend car (because 2 coats [& not more!] is always better than one), and you garaged the baby, and dont have time for the next 6 months to drive your baby, the wax has no opportunity for it 2b exposed to any harmful contaminants. you'll find that it will last for EONS if kept in a garage.

If you placed 2 consistent coats of wax on your daily drive in winter, and always garaged it at night &/or at work, those 2 layers will last you easily 6 months in wintery conditions with consistent maintanence (i.e wash fortnightly with Megs ash&wax solutions).

you can also actually test for wax on your surface:

1. get a microfibre towel

2. place on surface, and press gently on the surface and turn anticlockwise or clockwise

3. if it squeaks, the surface has no more wax, if it doesnt squeak - you're all good.

This is a tested and tried procedure for any line of waxes. This is also used to decide whether paint cleaners are required in the surface preparation stage.

Cheers

using paste or liquid waxes to wax your vehicle's surface once a week is excessive and wasteful on your behalf - in terms of money and effort. but if you get off on that, then dats all good :)

Like you said, it's all personal when it comes to how much you want to wax.

For me personally, I wax mine every week for the simple fact that it definitely makes washing my car easier (for me). I wash my car twice a week and I find if I go for a few washes between waxes, the little black dots or road grime (tar or whatever) that gets up onto my sides of the car etc, require a little more effort to clean off compared to washing my car after waxing it only one or two washes ago. The way I feel is that if it's easier to clean, the surface is more protected (as I said, the way I feel).

On top of that, whenever I'm at the office, I'm forced to park under a tree that drops these little round seed things (like 100's & 1000's) and if it has been 2 washes or less since my last wax, these seed things just roll off my car when I start driving. On average, if it is a few washes or more since my last wax, despite my paint still showing signs of good wax protection, these seed things will actually adhere a bit to the surface of the car and after a drive, there will still be a fair few on the paint surface.

To me, I feel better when they all roll off easily. But that's a personal thing.

I don't care if it is ultimately wasting wax as I feel better with it in the end. It only ends up using an hour and a half of my time and about $5 in wax per week.

For me personally, I wax mine every week for the simple fact that it definitely makes washing my car easier (for me). I wash my car twice a week and I find if I go for a few washes between waxes, the little black dots or road grime (tar or whatever) that gets up onto my sides of the car etc, require a little more effort to clean off compared to washing my car after waxing it only one or two washes ago. The way I feel is that if it's easier to clean, the surface is more protected (as I said, the way I feel).

On top of that, whenever I'm at the office, I'm forced to park under a tree that drops these little round seed things (like 100's & 1000's) and if it has been 2 washes or less since my last wax, these seed things just roll off my car when I start driving. On average, if it is a few washes or more since my last wax, despite my paint still showing signs of good wax protection, these seed things will actually adhere a bit to the surface of the car and after a drive, there will still be a fair few on the paint surface.

To me, I feel better when they all roll off easily. But that's a personal thing.

I don't care if it is ultimately wasting wax as I feel better with it in the end. It only ends up using an hour and a half of my time and about $5 in wax per week.

Damn that sucks! Last time I parked under a tree there was annoying and ugly sap on my hood after only like 15 minutes of parking under the tree. I stay away from them as much as I can.

you can achieve what you want to achieve with constant maintainence of Meg's spray waxes or WashnWax solution.

its all up to you, however because you've already got coats of wax on you car, doing the maintainence stage would make your washes easier as well, thats the sole reason why meg's designed the maintanance stage of products, so those who wash weekly can achieve sleek and continual protection without re-waxing. its like saying, you want to continue using a fork to eat rice, but man has invented the spoon to make it easier. both fork and spoon can used when eating rice, but the spoon is so much more efficient

so what im saying is:

wax your car with 2 coats. then when you wash you car the following week, use WashNWax then followed by a range of Megs LSP products like TechWax, TechDetailer,UQD or ESPECIALLY UQW. Do that (the last 2) everyweek and you'll soon see and feel that it's more worth while following the maintainence stage rather than doing $5 of liquid or paste wax per week.

if you use $5 of wax per week that equates to $260 per year, followed by the amount of years you own the car (lets say 4yrs), equating to $1040. $1040 over 4 years...that may not be much to you at all, but you'll save a bucket load if the maintanence stage was followed, and you'll have a spare hour up your selve to do something else while acheiving the same results.

in the end, its your call.

you can achieve what you want to achieve with constant maintainence of Meg's spray waxes or WashnWax solution.

its all up to you, however because you've already got coats of wax on you car, doing the maintainence stage would make your washes easier as well, thats the sole reason why meg's designed the maintanance stage of products, so those who wash weekly can achieve sleek and continual protection without re-waxing. its like saying, you want to continue using a fork to eat rice, but man has invented the spoon to make it easier. both fork and spoon can used when eating rice, but the spoon is so much more efficient

so what im saying is:

wax your car with 2 coats. then when you wash you car the following week, use WashNWax then followed by a range of Megs LSP products like TechWax, TechDetailer,UQD or ESPECIALLY UQW. Do that (the last 2) everyweek and you'll soon see and feel that it's more worth while following the maintainence stage rather than doing $5 of liquid or paste wax per week.

if you use $5 of wax per week that equates to $260 per year, followed by the amount of years you own the car (lets say 4yrs), equating to $1040. $1040 over 4 years...that may not be much to you at all, but you'll save a bucket load if the maintanence stage was followed, and you'll have a spare hour up your selve to do something else while acheiving the same results.

in the end, its your call.

on your advice wixy, ive purchased a bottle of UQW... (previously only used the UQD)

hope to try it out this weekend :)

btw - i have to retract on my statement about gold class plus... its durability is really holding up (been haviong some crap weather here in perth with showers and the sun shine, followed by leaving the car outside for a few nights in the cold) its still shinning and beading up very well... (have only washed once lately with UW&W)

still prefer the sheeting ability of NXT thou and will be going back to NXT when i do my next detail in a weeks time... will save the gold class for summer.. for those long drives as the sun is setting... :ph34r:

Dave, do you still apply the NXT wax with the wax attack buffer?

yes. depending on my mood i MAY apply with a microfibre hand applicatior (meguiars) but most of the time i will use the wax attack with my "nxt wax" only pad, to apply on the car, let it set and remove with a microfibre cloth.

on your advice wixy, ive purchased a bottle of UQW... (previously only used the UQD)

hope to try it out this weekend :)

btw - i have to retract on my statement about gold class plus... its durability is really holding up (been haviong some crap weather here in perth with showers and the sun shine, followed by leaving the car outside for a few nights in the cold) its still shinning and beading up very well... (have only washed once lately with UW&W)

still prefer the sheeting ability of NXT thou and will be going back to NXT when i do my next detail in a weeks time... will save the gold class for summer.. for those long drives as the sun is setting... :ph34r:

mmmm UQW, delicious hehe.

i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. alot of ppl who have used it have had favourable results. those who havent find that their surface was not properly prepared, or they expect too much from a spray wax (ie. hoping it will last months!). i find that if my existing wax layer has decreased in effectiveness, an application of UQW after a wash help prolong the existing paste wax for at lease 2more weeks before protection plumbs to death.

just completed an ultimate detail on the weekend - 8hour one - will upload pictures soon as i get over the side effects of the new flu shot. far out feel like crap.

Edited by Wixy

mmmm UQW, delicious hehe.

i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. alot of ppl who have used it have had favourable results. those who havent find that their surface was not properly prepared, or they expect too much from a spray wax (ie. hoping it will last months!). i find that if my existing wax layer has decreased in effectiveness, an application of UQW after a wash help prolong the existing paste wax for at lease 2more weeks before protection plumbs to death.

just completed an ultimate detail on the weekend - 8hour one - will upload pictures soon as i get over the side effects of the new flu shot. far out feel like crap.

Plus as an added bonus, UQW smells nice too :)

Megs Gold Class was smells divine as does Mothers California Gold Showtime.

I'll be washing my car tomorrow and possibly a clay and sealant. I spotted a few streak/swirls in the bonnet the other day. If it's my imagination, another coat of Gold Class I think.

So while i was buying a bottle of UQW... i noticed sitting high up on the shelf... Ultimate Protectant!

being a sucker for new products... :P

(added a few other pics as well :P - missing is my bottle of ultimate compound - lent out to a mate )

:whistling:

post-13790-127739293434_thumb.jpg

post-13790-127739300635_thumb.jpg

post-13790-127739307606_thumb.jpg

So while i was buying a bottle of UQW... i noticed sitting high up on the shelf... Ultimate Protectant!

(added a few other pics as well :P - missing is my bottle of ultimate compound - lent out to a mate )

The Mirror Glaze Sythetic Sealant M21 is the same product as Nxt 2.0 so you've got a double up there.

Also, the M205 and M2 pretty much do a similar job.

All up probably $300-$400 worth of products.

How do you find the interior quick wipes?

The Mirror Glaze Sythetic Sealant M21 is the same product as Nxt 2.0 so you've got a double up there.

Also, the M205 and M2 pretty much do a similar job.

All up probably $300-$400 worth of products.

How do you find the interior quick wipes?

yeah i bought the m21 on a whim a while ago.

the m205 i find is hands down the best product ive used from meguiars... i find its shine to be a bit deeper than swirlx but that might just be me...

interior quik wipes are great, i only use them on my headunit screen and dash consol... rest is meguiars ultimate protectant. :P

nice collection there.

you dont wanna seee mine.....thats for sure.

ive also been collection some from the states, those hard to find items har har har how i love wasting my money

(i dont really, i regret it after awhile LOL but it still goooooooooood)