2nd 96kph

3rd 139kph

4th 177kph

5th ...

lol.

Auto I take it? :P

nope...

Hmm nice!

the yaris tops out at about 180 so there isnt much point at recording the theoretical top speed of 5th gear.

When cruising, I leave 5th as the cruise gear, because it's running near the 3K REV.

Mine is usually as follows:

1st: 10-20KM

2nd: 21-40KM

3rd: 40-50???KM

4th: 51-60KM

5th: held till when it is necessary, so 60-80KM?

6th: used sparingly, on highways - 80-Beyond...

However at the track, 1st - 5000RPM?

2nd-5500 (Or near there) RPM

3RD (if I ever get to third would be maybe 6000RPM

4th (never got this high, on the calder race track...

5th: -

6th: -

Max Speeds for an C54 in a yaris

1st 51kph

2nd 96kph

3rd 139kph

4th 177kph

5th ...

lol.

Auto I take it? :P

nope...

Hmm nice!

the yaris tops out at about 180 so there isnt much point at recording the theoretical top speed of 5th gear.

True, well without serious power mods, to find out it's "Actual" top speed... Might as well just throw a 2zz in it, if you were gonna do that... or even a better way to find out the top speed, Boot up Forza 3, buy a Yaris and find out... Speaking of which, I have one in that game, I'll get back to you after I find out the top speed on that gearbox :P

When cruising, I leave 5th as the cruise gear, because it's running near the 3K REV.

why would you only shift at 5k?

Because with the 1zz and 2nze (edited from 1nze) engines they get their peak torque at 4000-4400 RPM, and there's no point pushing it much further than 5500 RPM in those particular engines, after changing, it'll put you just below 4000 RPM, optimal RPM for the next gear...

Edited by Squall0011

Because with the 1zz and 1nze engines they get their peak torque at 4000-4400 RPM, and there's no point pushing it much further than 5500 RPM in those particular engines, after changing, it'll put you just below 4000 RPM, optimal RPM for the next gear...

the 1NZ-FE does not hit peak power until 6000rpm and the 1ZZ @ 6400... i would be trying to shift at 5900-6000rpm in the lower gears on the track...

theoretically it would be 211.07kph, but with an 80kw motor, you are never going to get there.

Hmm, that's a very good point, that 80kw engine pushing 800-900kg isn't really gonna make it too far over 180... So... When's the 2zz engine with the 6 speed getting dropped in? :P

theoretically it would be 211.07kph, but with an 80kw motor, you are never going to get there.

Hmm, that's a very good point, that 80kw engine pushing 800-900kg isn't really gonna make it too far over 180... So... When's the 2zz engine with the 6 speed getting dropped in? :P

haha, never. might be a supercharger on it in jan/feb next yr

Because with the 1zz and 1nze engines they get their peak torque at 4000-4400 RPM, and there's no point pushing it much further than 5500 RPM in those particular engines, after changing, it'll put you just below 4000 RPM, optimal RPM for the next gear...

the 1NZ-FE does not hit peak power until 6000rpm and the 1ZZ @ 6400... i would be trying to shift at 5900-6000rpm in the lower gears on the track...

But Torque is the main pulling force... As my understanding of the whole Torque/Kilowatt thing goes...

haha, never. might be a supercharger on it in jan/feb next yr

Hmm... Why not a 2zz? :P

A Supercharger on a Yaris, That'll be different, in a cool way B)

But Torque is the main pulling force... As my understanding of the whole Torque/Kilowatt thing goes...

Personally, I don't know how it all works out on a detailed level, but all I know is that the range between maximum torque and maximum power is where you want to be.

Also, here is something interesting to read:

AutoSpeed - Power versus Torque - Part 1

AutoSpeed - Power versus Torque - Part 2

So power is the critical determining factor for maximum acceleration, and torque is necessary for driveability. This can quite clearly be seen in looking at the types of engines used for certain applications. Trucks and industrial vehicles use engines with large amounts of torque with a fairly flat torque curve, but relatively little power. Racing and sporting vehicles use high revving engines, with high power and relatively little torque in comparison to their power outputs. That is why you have F1 having engines revving to over 18000 rpm. And there's no use doing that if to maximise acceleration all you needed to do was maximise the amount of torque you had!

winding the 2zz out to 8700 rpms ensures i can see 100 clicks in 2nd gear so pretty much drive around everywhere in first and second ..... no need to use any other gears ;) ;) ;) ;)

winding the 2zz out to 8700 rpms ensures i can see 100 clicks in 2nd gear so pretty much drive around everywhere in first and second ..... no need to use any other gears ;) ;) ;) ;)

:lol: Stuck in 2nd mate ?? .

Bill dont let the other gears feel left out , atleast park in 3rd , :P

Its funny because if i go by the recommendation of using 6th (70km/hr+) i might never get to use it on urban roads.

The road ends or lights appear before getting to that speed.

I know ppl will say 6th gear is for Highways but i'm not shy to use it when the engine is at no or low load.

Aerodynamic drag is the issue, not the weight.

The 2zz and c64 won't fit into the yaris/echo withuot hacking up the passanger side chassis rail. There is a thread on it someone in the depths of the Corolla section.

The 2zz and c64 won't fit into the yaris/echo withuot hacking up the passanger side chassis rail. There is a thread on it someone in the depths of the Corolla section.

This is correct. Although it has been done its not a viable swap... not to mention the fact it would be illegal in aust.

I also knew it was aerodynamically inert... Due to the height of the car... Friend and I raced against each other in Yaris's painted with Domino's colors on the Nordschleife Nürburgring... I rolled it 3 times, he rolled his once... Both car's were pushing over 400kw and under 800kg, but he was running 4wd and I was running FF with LSD...

...He won >.<

Edited by Squall0011

This is correct. Although it has been done its not a viable swap... not to mention the fact it would be illegal in aust.

Hmm... What about a l4 Altezza Motor 2000-2005? Or an 95 MR2 l4 motor? they should fit without major issues... and the MR2 motor's designed to be in enclosed spaces...

Hmm... What about a l4 Altezza Motor 2000-2005? Or an 95 MR2 l4 motor? they should fit without major issues... and the MR2 motor's designed to be in enclosed spaces...

as motors go the 1NZ-FE that is in it is fine and responds quite well to forced induction.

Altezza motor = GenIV 3SGE blacktop BEAMS, and is a RWD north-south motor, which is not conducive to east-west FWD mounting. The MR2 motor is a GenII 3SGE or a GenIV redtop BEAMS, and whilst it is east-west they are TALL, WIDE and HEAVY. Neither would be suitable swaps for a Yaris.

Well, I lost the old thread back in the hack, so finally got around to wanting to redo the thread, hope you enjoy. Hopefully it will sticky this time

First lets start with catagorizing particular motors that have been tested, proven, and thought about being swapped into our Yaris'

Proven: This is the basic section in which a motor has been swapped and documented to work.

-2zzge (Celica GT-S Motor,1.8L 180ish HP) Proven Sedan, and older gen Echo Hatch only.

-4age Blacktop/Silvertop (1.6L 160hp) Proven swapped into an older gen Echo Hatch only

-4agze 16 valve (1.6L Superchared) Proven swapped into a newer Yaris, overseas, but documented. Motor was then changed over to a turbocharged setup for more HP.

-DRIFT YARIS: I dont have information off hand, other than it is a RWD placement using an older Tacoma motor for the powerplant, All custom drivetrain, etc.

Tested: Experimeted, but not finished or proven

-4G63 (Lancer Evolution Motor, 2.0L Turbocharged) Swap was to be in progress but not documented as finished overseas.

Thought of and Discussed: Self explanitory, I did seperate this into two catagories.

Practicle, but likely not to fit without heavy modification.

-3gste (MR2 Turbocharged Motor) 2.0L Turbo

-3gse (MR2 Beams Motor) 2.0L N/A

-2azfe (Scion TC/Scion Xb2.0 Motor) 2.4L N/A

That said, id rather turbo/sc my motor

as motors go the 1NZ-FE that is in it is fine and responds quite well to forced induction.

That's great to hear... Suppose it saves swapping and changing motors if that's the case...

Altezza motor = GenIV 3SGE blacktop BEAMS, and is a RWD north-south motor, which is not conducive to east-west FWD mounting. The MR2 motor is a GenII 3SGE or a GenIV redtop BEAMS, and whilst it is east-west they are TALL, WIDE and HEAVY. Neither would be suitable swaps for a Yaris.

My bad, I must have gotten some rotten information... Thanks for the heads up!