What speeds in which gears?

i also heard from many people however that changing to a higher gear on low speed will ruin the gearbox ONLY if u are going to accelerate to a faster speed because of engine lugging.

They are wrong. The low revs result in low torque, so the load on the ge****t is well below the designed strength.

yeah, that is crap... but its not brilliant for your fuel economy...

Tell that to the people that have worn the case hardening off 6th gear in Prados because they have been towing in top gear (against the recommendations in the manual). Remember that a gearbox is a torque multiplier, and that the load on the face of the tooth of 6th gear can be quite high even though the engine isn't producing much torque at those revs. And for the fact that it is only a pretty small gear.

I agree with it being crap for economy though.

Max Speeds for an C54 in a yaris

1st 51kph

2nd 96kph

3rd 139kph

4th 177kph

5th ...

lol.

An Echo with a C150 shows about the same.

1st - 52 kph (I take it to the rev limit everytime unless going down hill because second gear is too tall)

2nd - 98 kph (pretty useless after 90 kph though)

3rd - 130 something (trees are going by pretty quickly at that speed so I have been watching the road instead of the speedo)

4rd - don't know and don't care, my butt hole is too puckered up after about 150 kph on dirt with huge ***** gum trees flicking by at warp speed.

Pretty soon, I hope to be able to tell you what an Echo with a C56 gearbox conversion can do though ;).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right rob, towing in a high gear is definately a bad idea... and a good way to wreck the gearbox... but in the case of a 6spd corolla towing nothing, its really only going to hurt your fuel economy

what is the C56 from, sportivo?

AE101.

ah nice... any reason for the swap?

1.3l = 63kw = not enough power to accelerate up hills in 2nd gear because the standard ge****t drops you to about 3000 rpm in 2nd from redline in 1st.

4.3 final drive in the C56 compared to 3.6 in the C150

Better spread of gear ratios in the C56 compared to the C150.

Stronger gears in the C56 compared to the C150

And the C56 will take the more common 8 bolt lsd (6 bolt lsd's for the C150 are like rocking horse poo).

AE101.

ah nice... any reason for the swap?

1.3l = 63kw = not enough power to accelerate up hills in 2nd gear because the standard ge****t drops you to about 3000 rpm in 2nd from redline in 1st.

4.3 final drive in the C56 compared to 3.6 in the C150

Better spread of gear ratios in the C56 compared to the C150.

Stronger gears in the C56 compared to the C150

And the C56 will take the more common 8 bolt lsd (6 bolt lsd's for the C150 are like rocking horse poo).

that makes sense, any engine mods planned next?

Back to topic even I was having an interesting read.. :P :P

ZREs have really short gear ratios..

Driving normally, change gears 2500-3000 revs. If road is flat and limit is 70kms, I'll go 5th. If road is flat and limit is 80kms, I'll go 6th.

1st 0 to 20-25

2nd 20 to 40-45

3rd 40 to 60-65

4th 60 to 70-80

5th 70 to 100

6th 80+

Track/racing:

1st 0-45

2nd 45-84ish

3rd 84-120

4th 120-160

5th unknown

6th unknown

Peter.

i find it even more quiet on 6th :P nah i dont think he is cruising in 3rd on 50km/h, just in the gear accelerating range

im trying 5th in 60km/h and 6th at 70km/h i'm gonna see if it change any fuel economy... the last few weeks its been around 8.6L/100km mixed

Edited by Kenshin X

ok ill respond now with a proper response ..... lol

i dont really look @ my revs because i have gotten used to driving it by feel / noise ...... but today i made a conscious effort to take notice and what i found was on flattish roads i found myself changing gears around the 3.5k rpms ...... when ever i was accelerating up a hill i found myself shifting on the higher end of 4.5+ K rpms ....... this is what feels smooth in my car ......

i have to add my input:

i only take notice of when to change when the car is still warming up... i wait for it to get to the 'C' bar before moving... takes about 5-7mins.

Now to answer the OP,

1st-2nd = 20km/hr

2nd-3rd = 45km/hr

3rd-4th = 50 or 60km/hr

5th = 60+km/hr

5 gears - corolla

thats with normal driving, but i wouldn't call my driving normal :lol:

Evo

50kmph on 3rd feels weird...

I find it smoother and quieter to cruise 50kmph on 4th...

What gear do you normally use to cruise say in a 60 zone? and 70 zone?

Yep, just as KenshinX said, accelerating. Cruising on 50 I'd go 4th if road is flat, 60 go 5th if road is flat.

thats with normal driving, but i wouldn't call my driving normal <--- Exactly! :clap:

I also drive by feel/sound, I don't even look at my fully sick huge tacho uleh! :P :P

• 4 weeks later...

Before:

An Echo with a C150 shows about the same.

1st - 52 kph (I take it to the rev limit everytime unless going down hill because second gear is too tall)

2nd - 98 kph (pretty useless after 90 kph though)

3rd - 130 something (trees are going by pretty quickly at that speed so I have been watching the road instead of the speedo)

4rd - don't know and don't care, my butt hole is too puckered up after about 150 kph on dirt with huge ***** gum trees flicking by at warp speed.

Pretty soon, I hope to be able to tell you what an Echo with a C56 gearbox conversion can do though ;).

After (C56 Gearbox with TRD 4.7:1 final drive kit):

1st - 45 km/hr

2nd - 77km/hr

3rd - 105 km/hr

Dunno about 4th or 5th yet.

The best bit is that the revs only drop from 6200 at redline in 1st to 4000rpm when you change into second. They used to drop down to 3000 rpm which was the cause of the big hole in the power delivery.