Toyota spare parts

Steven

Found out an interesting issue with my Aurion today when I was going over the car. For awhile now, the chrome strip on the outside of the drivers door (where it meets the window, otherwise called a Belt mould) was lifting at one end (opposite the side mirror).

On closer inspection, one of the clips that holds down that end had snapped off. The clip part slides onto the belt mould, so I figure I'd just need to replace this clip and all would be good.

Ring the local spares dept. who not so kindly informed me that the clip wasn't "serviceable", therefore meaning that if the clip had broken I would need to replace the whole belt mould, cost around $105! What a bloody rip job, you can see the clip just slides on easily, obviously the engineers in their wisdom saw how easily it could break and make it replaceable. However toyota refuses to sell this clip separately!

I tried using double-sided tape, but for some reason the moulds been designed so it flexes upwards at the ends - too strongly for the tape to hold. Look's like I've got no choice but to buy the whole assembly.

Anyone else discovered faults like these that, also basic, toyota has decided not to make serviceable?

Another one I found was the silver bit around the gear-selector. Although a simple clip on piece of plastic, toyota spares will only sell it with the whole linkage assembly (at a cost of over $1000!!!). Thankfully I got around that by simply repainting the scratched up piece, but still I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of other such examples of not being able to buy the actual piece that breaks.

Rant over

maybe not so much as a spare part issue but just on the general assembly... the fuel flap on my car has never sat flush with the body, have tried bending it back and the panel shop i go to has attempted it too... they said most cars have bolts that you can undo/adjustbut toyota have opted for rivits! (????) so looks like i will need a fuel flap sometime... im afraid to even ask for warrenty, as i tried a while ago with the issue of my steel wheels causing the carf to bounce A LOT. took toyota 3 attempts at me driving the service manager ands then the SALES manager in the car until they admitted that the steelies were buckled... another 6 weeks for them to order in new steelies as well...

generally they spare parts at a different toyota dealer here in perth are really good. so i will stick with them. they do however have problems findind the part numbers for the sportivo pedal/foot rest... as i want to get some in mine.... anyone have an idea? sorry to go offtopic :P

I have previously worked in a large toyota spare parts warehouse and can say that this is common practice within the industry . They might sell component parts initially, but if there is little demand or the model is getting older then they will start selling the part within an assembly only.

It gets expensive when it starts happening with mechanical parts , eg they stop selling seal kits and make you buy the whole thing.

Another factor is parts such as belt moulds etc are generally sold to smash repairers, who are being paid by insurance companies to fix vehicles and therefore dont care about buying clips only and find it easier to replace the whole assembly anyway.

Edited by MyATX

Are the prices we have to pay for Toyota parts seriously justified? A lot of after market parts can be just as near the same quality if not the same and cost way more then half the cost of the original. What are the parts prices based off? Do they make it expensive just for the hell of it?

Are the prices we have to pay for Toyota parts seriously justified? A lot of after market parts can be just as near the same quality if not the same and cost way more then half the cost of the original. What are the parts prices based off? Do they make it expensive just for the hell of it?

my fuel flap didnt sit flush when i pick up my car. i manipulated it to how it should be.

note: i did not use love to push it into place

Found out an interesting issue with my Aurion today when I was going over the car. For awhile now, the chrome strip on the outside of the drivers door (where it meets the window, otherwise called a Belt mould) was lifting at one end (opposite the side mirror).

On closer inspection, one of the clips that holds down that end had snapped off. The clip part slides onto the belt mould, so I figure I'd just need to replace this clip and all would be good.

Ring the local spares dept. who not so kindly informed me that the clip wasn't "serviceable", therefore meaning that if the clip had broken I would need to replace the whole belt mould, cost around $105! What a bloody rip job, you can see the clip just slides on easily, obviously the engineers in their wisdom saw how easily it could break and make it replaceable. However toyota refuses to sell this clip separately!

I tried using double-sided tape, but for some reason the moulds been designed so it flexes upwards at the ends - too strongly for the tape to hold. Look's like I've got no choice but to buy the whole assembly.

Anyone else discovered faults like these that, also basic, toyota has decided not to make serviceable?

Another one I found was the silver bit around the gear-selector. Although a simple clip on piece of plastic, toyota spares will only sell it with the whole linkage assembly (at a cost of over $1000!!!). Thankfully I got around that by simply repainting the scratched up piece, but still I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of other such examples of not being able to buy the actual piece that breaks.

Rant over

Mmm dealer must of seen you coming... lol

the Part number your after is 75710-33130 and has a RRP of $87.45 still up there but a fair bit cheaper than what you was quoted.

Only other thing i can think of is that the parts advisor got confused and actually gave you the price for the protector mould perhaps?

steven: cant you just use a bit a sikaflex (or what ever its called), or silicon, or defcon?

that sh!t will never come off...

also, my fuel lid has never been flush either... i can actually open my fuel lid by pushing on the far left side of the lid.. dont know if thats normal or not...

pain in the a$$ though cause it looks sh!t... :(