Gains with chip

isn't there an open and closed circuit that allows the ECU to either keep learning or stop and stay where it is set, if this is the case get a custom loom for the power FC connect tune it and close the circuit than it will stop learning and will only stay the same as the power FC tells it to

As it relates to the diagram, if our 2zz ECU is identical to the one with the space in the middle then the Power FC should just plug right on. :D That diagram belongs to the US Celica GTS where as the diagram without the space belongs to the Celica. Does this mean that the Power FC can be used out the box? :huh: If so we would be a lot better off than the Matrix owners.

Hey gipper,

how much did the LSD set u back and how much to install ?

Also from piggyback systems the best one thus far has been the unichip which is why several members have them. The only thing being that u will need a retune after u do a performance mod if u want full/optimum performance from ur mod..... but i get this would be the same for a full independant system

oh n welcome to the forum where u from ?

The LSD was a bit over a grand and the installation was a bit under a grand.

I got it installed at toyota and they said they had to replace a few parts which get broken during the installation. They replaced those parts under warrantly... very nice guys.

I have used unichips in my last 2 cars, and my entire family have them...(yes even my Mum in her twin turbo Subaru B4.. he he). Others might be better for getting more power but reliability of the chip and the support and professionalism of the tuner is my first priority. Unicuip have a very good dealer network in Oz and have been around a long time.

Think I will stick with them.

Can i get some comments from Sportivo owners who have installed a unichip?

Their thoughts, comments?

I am from the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne....

Thanks for the welcome, always nice when you are new to a group.

At the recent CES dyno day/show'n'shine, a stock sportivo put out more power than Craig's unichipped sportivo... quite strange.

That doesn't surprise me... often how the engine has been run in, how many kms the engine has done and other factors can greatly influence the power output of any car...

That is why all unichip installers give you a "before" and "after" dyno graph so you can see exactly what power you have gained.

I am guessing that Craig's sportivo would have been well down on power before the unichip if that was the case.

A good tuner can also greatly improve the drivability and responsiveness of the car. Something a dyno will never give you.

Would be great to be able to put a car on a dyno befreo you bought it.... then you could just keep going until you found a "good one".

As far as i know, Craig's car had around 105kw (+- few kw) atw stock. After he had his Unichip fitted he had abt 120kw atw with CAI, TRD headers and CES exhaust. That is quite a good gain from such a a highly strung NA engine. The 115kw at CES could be down to too many things. A closer comparo would be every Stivo using the same fuel, same engine oil, same wheels and tyres and tyre pressure, dynoed at the same time/day etc etc. A car's performance changes daily don't yous realise so it can be more powerful one day and less the other.

There were also a few stock stivos there and they put out between 103kw to 118 kw atw. That is a great margin and you will wonder how/why, and its anybody's guess. Also these figures are PEAK power figures, it says nothing about part throttle power figure, or torque or power and torque at 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k revs.

Performance has to be measured on the road. The 180SX that only made 88kw might still be quicker to 100km/h than a 118kw stock Stivo, who knows?

Chassis dynos are best left to measure gains from modifications.

I think the Unichip is good but not great for producing power. You will have less driveability issues like cold starts and stuff hence its so popular. The greatest will have to be a full replacement ECU like the APEXi POWER FC or HKS F-CONV. But if you really want bang for buck gains, go turbo or supercharge the car or get some higher compression pistons, bigger cams or something like that. Bolt-ons are fine but don't expect too much, especially highly tuned NA engines like the 2ZZ-GE ;) Better to focus on suspension or ricing it up :P

p.s. dyno days are great, it brings people together and everyone can have a good time not to mention bragging rights! Plus CES exhausts are great sounding good quality items that can improve performance so buy them! :D

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I know a stock sportivo that made a certain CES/TRD CAI Black Sportivo not look like he'd any power increase with his mods... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I'm thinking Sunday morning... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm thinking trip to Toyota Day... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm thinking I changed to 4th too early or as Brian Spooner would say in 'The Fast & The Furious'...

"Dude, I almost had you!" :P :P :P

Edited by Azza