215/45/17 tyres

boosta

Howdy all,

New member here - just bought a corolla wagon for our young family as is with 17" (x ?) mags with 215/45/17 tyres. I wanted the orginal 15" steel rim and tyres(195/60/15) but dealer didn't want to budge with price. I rang Bob Jane T-mart and they said the correct size is 205/45/17. I looked up the various website in regards to the speedo, 1 says too quick and 1 says too slow.

My wife and I can put up with the tyres for now and hope to change the 'correct' size once it wears out.

Can someone please clarify with the 215/45/17 - if the speedo shows 60km - what is the actual speed?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

boosta

The calculator that I prefer to use would be the following:

1010 Tires - Tire Size Calculator

According to that, if your stock wheel/tire is 195/60R15, then with a 215/45R17 combination, your speedo will be showing a speed 1.656% slower than what you are actually travelling. So at 60km/h, your speedo will show 59km/h.

Howdy all,

New member here - just bought a corolla wagon for our young family as is with 17" (x ?) mags with 215/45/17 tyres. I wanted the orginal 15" steel rim and tyres(195/60/15) but dealer didn't want to budge with price. I rang Bob Jane T-mart and they said the correct size is 205/45/17. I looked up the various website in regards to the speedo, 1 says too quick and 1 says too slow.

My wife and I can put up with the tyres for now and hope to change the 'correct' size once it wears out.

Can someone please clarify with the 215/45/17 - if the speedo shows 60km - what is the actual speed?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

boosta

The only difference between the 215/45/17 and 205/45/17 is the width of the tyre. It won't make your speedo read any differently - in reality all it means is that you have a wider tyre which usually means better traction.

Don't fret, all is how it should be.

The only difference between the 215/45/17 and 205/45/17 is the width of the tyre. It won't make your speedo read any differently - in reality all it means is that you have a wider tyre which usually means better traction.

picard-facepalm1.jpg

You know what the 45 refers to? It is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width. So a 215/45 tyre is 215mm wide with a sidewall height of (0.45*215) = 97mm. The 205/45 tyre has a width of 205mm and a sidewall height of (0.45*205) = 92mm.

picard-facepalm1.jpg

You know what the 45 refers to? It is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width. So a 215/45 tyre is 215mm wide with a sidewall height of (0.45*215) = 97mm. The 205/45 tyre has a width of 205mm and a sidewall height of (0.45*205) = 92mm.

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

To further comment on that, the differences are as follows:

195/60R15 -> 215/45R17 = 1.656% slower speedo reading

195/60R15 -> 205/45R17 = 0.209% slower speedo reading

I obtained that information just now when I was speaking to my local tyre shop as I wanted to know the same the as I wanted to go for wider tyres. He told me the 45 was related to the wheels diameter (ie. 17 inch) and that was why 16" wheels have a higher number and 18"s lower.

A quick wiki search has confirmed what you just said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

Error corrected by way of uppercut

Thank you all for your responses!

A tip > If you have a GPS , take it in the car and compare the speed on it to your speedo when driving ..

We have the same profile fitted to 05 Corolla which should have 195/60/15 and at 100km/hr(according to car speedo) its doing more like 102 or so ..

Just remember to drive slightly slower than the speed limit and that way its saves the hassle of getting booked for speeding .