Question about head unit

Xav

My apologies if there have been 10 million threads about this. I cant seem to find a decent guide.

I just bought a Camry Sportivo 08 model and i want to replace the head unit with an aftermarket one.

I have ordered the new facia kit etc. But i have no clue how to pull out the factory spec head unit and replace it with my pioneer single din one.

Anyone know any good guides for this sound upgrade. I plan to change all the speakers in the car with aftermarket ones and chuck subs in the boot.

Your help is greatly appreciated :D

thanks very much

My apologies if there have been 10 million threads about this. I cant seem to find a decent guide.

I just bought a Camry Sportivo 08 model and i want to replace the head unit with an aftermarket one.

I have ordered the new facia kit etc. But i have no clue how to pull out the factory spec head unit and replace it with my pioneer single din one.

Anyone know any good guides for this sound upgrade. I plan to change all the speakers in the car with aftermarket ones and chuck subs in the boot.

thanks very much

This is a link DJKOR posted in an earlier post

See if it helps

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236753

thanks very much

This is a link DJKOR posted in an earlier post

See if it helps

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236753

Thanks very much for the info, one last question. I bought a facia plate today and the toyota parts salesman told me i only needed the front plate for the new head unit to fit in. But when i checked the measurements and put the face of the head unit into the facia to see if it fit flush, i noticed a gap on either side. Any suggestions?

You might need Headunit Side Spacers to fill the gaps.

I know they are needed in the Corollas but i'm not a 100% about any other Toyota Model(s)

Soundmaster.com.au sell the kits which include everything required.

Not too sure how much toyota charge but Sound Master Facia Page for Toyotas is located here

http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Car-Facias-Toyota.asp

alright ill take a look and see what i find

anyway may as well list what im installing

head unit - pioneer p8100bt (bluetooth)

amp kit - kicker

amps - pioneer 1200watt mono for subs and 120x4 amp for speakers

speakers - 6" 230watt splits for front and 6" 300watt for rear

Subs - Twin 1000watt pioneers

I have a 08 Camry Sportivo, just thinking of replacing the battery with a really good one to support the sound system so the power doesnt dim when im driving with subs on.

Any other suggestions will be much appreciated

sounds like a plan mate, can't wait to see how it all comes together.

ok so ive put the whole sound system together, one thing i cant fix is the radio. I have channels but they are very static. I noticed theres an orange wire for antenna amplifier but i had no where to put it on my new head unit. Im assuming without this the signal strength will be very weak. Is there any other wire i can connect this to so the signal is boosted? Or do i have to basically get a new antenna now?

ok so ive put the whole sound system together, one thing i cant fix is the radio. I have channels but they are very static. I noticed theres an orange wire for antenna amplifier but i had no where to put it on my new head unit. Im assuming without this the signal strength will be very weak. Is there any other wire i can connect this to so the signal is boosted? Or do i have to basically get a new antenna now?

Yes as the antenna is incorporated into the rear window, an antenna amplifier is used to strengthen it's efficiency. According to the Camry manual, this is usually fed 12v from the radio when it is playing. I'd say you need to feed it 12v to get it to work

Yes as the antenna is incorporated into the rear window, an antenna amplifier is used to strengthen it's efficiency. According to the Camry manual, this is usually fed 12v from the radio when it is playing. I'd say you need to feed it 12v to get it to work

So would i connect it to the red accessory or the yellow battery wire? and is this safe?

So would i connect it to the red accessory or the yellow battery wire? and is this safe?

The manual says it is only fed between 10-14v when the radio is selected, so I wouldn't wire it to permanent power only the accessory wire. I can't comment on how safe it is as I've never had to do it. Ideally you would see what the orange wire outputs when connected to the factory head unit. If in doubt, wire it up through a resistor at first whilst the unit is on and see if the radio reception gets slightly better.

ok well the sound system is done but even with the orange radio amp wire connected to the red accessory its not clear at all. I need to find out if there is another way to get a better signal from the antenna.

I will post pics this week

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bringing up an old thread as this is a similar problem I'm having with my system. One radio channel in particular is quite poor reception.

Looking at the way I have it set up, the orange wire comes into my radio harness and is looped with a blue wire, in the spare pin terminal (Pin 9 I think). This wire then goes to my headunit and also a remote sensor for my amp.

Is this correct way of doing it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man,

You've probably got your answer but i just saw this and thought id put in my two cents.

Im getting a whole new system on my 08 camry sportivo next week, going through autobahn and they're fitting me with a new facia kid, kenwood double-din head unit and 6x9 hertz speakers all round, hertz amp and sub. They install it all and with parts im looking at like $2,300 but the guy there did me a bit of a deal, maybe they can help you.

super pumped!