AurionFuse Box

-DAvo

hey everyone

this is the scenario

was swapping some LED's out in my dash (gear box, cig lighter) just with some fresh LED

all was going well until i get to the cig lighter and put the wedge in, made a funny "buzz" sound for a split second and then i lost the gear indicator lights and cig light... im thinking its a fuse, as all the globes were working until then. i did have my parker lights switched on to make sure the lights were working when i stuck them in... which im guessing was my fatal mistake...

now im looking for my owners manual for a diagram of the fuse box... cant find the manual! argh

can someone please tell me what fuse i should be looking at? am i even heading down the right path i assuming the fuse has blown?

thanks in advance

Dave "the silly" DIY'er :P

Sounds like the fuse to me.

Under the glove box in the fuse box there (have fun getting to it! I out my back out every time! Lol), look for one called 'cig' for the cigarette lighter and another one next to it for the power socket near the centre compartment box thingy.

I cbf'd searching for it ATM. Lol

Try searching for cig fuse or something like that. :)

Some one else would have to confirm that, but based off my very cr4ppy memory, I believe so.

From memory, when I kept blowing my fuse, it'd blow the gear stick lights as well. I could be wrong though.

Unfortunetly I don't have my car to go and test it either. :(

If your pwr outlet fuse is still in tact, just remove it and put it in the CIG fuse position and see if it fixes your problem or not. :)

I did exactly the same thing last week but havnt purchased a replacement fuse yet.

I believe the fuse in question is number 11 and it is a 7.5 red fuse. It is pretty well documented in the Manual.

Don't confuse it with the red fuse that is pretty much mirror imaged when you look at the box (it is red but isnt 7.5).

ok so turns out it was the "panel" 7.5 fuse that was blown, the CIG and PWR outlet were fine.

dsc03302at9.jpg

have temporarily replaced with with a "10" fuse which was a spare fuse located in the engine fuse/relay compartment... will this be ok for the short term until i can haul my ***** off to buy a replacement 7.5 fuse?

any negative side effects i running a 10 in place of a 7.5?

ok so turns out it was the "panel" 7.5 fuse that was blown, the CIG and PWR outlet were fine.

dsc03302at9.jpg

have temporarily replaced with with a "10" fuse which was a spare fuse located in the engine fuse/relay compartment... will this be ok for the short term until i can haul my ***** off to buy a replacement 7.5 fuse?

Hi davo, from a quick search I found this. It's kind of relevant :)

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091124155404AAxP3pG

I wouldnt do that.

Have you noticed your lights are brighter than they would have been with the 7.5 fuse?

I'm not sure 7.5 to 10 is a huge jump but using a larger fuse on electronics made for small fuses can cause fires.

I wouldnt do that.

Have you noticed your lights are brighter than they would have been with the 7.5 fuse?

I'm not sure 7.5 to 10 is a huge jump but using a larger fuse on electronics made for small fuses can cause fires.

yeah i did notice that the console lights were running a bit brighter than normal.

all is good, stopped by my local toyota parts centre (as SCA and others dont open until 9) and picked up a few spare 7.5 fuses... $1.50 each! yay!

thanks for all the help here guys ;)

Thought this will include the fuse box topic, I'll just my current probs here.

I got into my car last nite, and wondered my dashboard was so dark... I realized the digital clock isn't working. I figured it might be one of the fuse blown or something. Then I went to check other electrical things. Evrything works ok except for my Side Mirrors and my Varex!! Just curious if you guys have any idea what causes these... Coincidence of these 3 stopped working at the same time..?

where did you wire the varex and side mirrors to??

my guess would be that where ever you wired that to, that wont be working either and therefore, check that fuse...

Never touched the side mirrors. But the Varex is hardwired, need to check with my mechanic... Just wonderin why the digital clock died.. FYI, the red blinking sign of seat-belt still flashes.

I wouldnt do that.

Increasing the fuse size will not make your lights brighter. Simply Ohms laws say I = V x R

e.g 1. for a 100W driving light 13.8(volts) x 1.7(ohms)= 8amps, 13.8(volts) x 1(ohm) = 13.8 amps

e.g.2. for a 100W driving light 24(volts) x 1.7 (ohms) = 14amps, 24(volts) x 1(ohm) = 24 amps

So to increase the brightness you would have either to increase the voltage (you would not have done this, unless you modified the existing circuitry) or decrease the resistance (you would have only done this if you increased the wattage of the light).

I think you said you were installing LED's so these would generally draw less - even thou they may look brighter it has nothing to do with the fuse. LED's simply have a more focused beam - similar effect to low voltage down lights versus a normal light globe.

I shouldn't have to say this but not everything you read in a forum is true, if in doubt research it or listen to those with the most creditable background in a particular area that is being discussed and then still research it.

You should replace the fuse with the same size as original as it is there to protect the wiring not the device. 7.5A fuse will not protect a 20mA LED, it is there to absorb the cumulative loading on that circuit.

(for the record part of my background is electrical trades, electronics trades, industrial electronics, with certificates in all of these together with 33 years experience doing this type of work).

Edited by fuel miser

I wouldnt do that.

Increasing the fuse size will not make your lights brighter. Simply Ohms laws say I = V x R

e.g 1. for a 100W driving light 13.8(volts) x 1.7(ohms)= 8amps, 13.8(volts) x 1(ohm) = 13.8 amps

e.g.2. for a 100W driving light 24(volts) x 1.7 (ohms) = 14amps, 24(volts) x 1(ohm) = 24 amps

So to increase the brightness you would have either to increase the voltage (you would not have done this, unless you modified the existing circuitry) or decrease the resistance (you would have only done this if you increased the wattage of the light).

I think you said you were installing LED's so these would generally draw less - even thou they may look brighter it has nothing to do with the fuse. LED's simply have a more focused beam - similar effect to low voltage down lights versus a normal light globe.

I shouldn't have to say this but not everything you read in a forum is true, if in doubt research it or listen to those with the most creditable background in a particular area that is being discussed and then still research it.

You should replace the fuse with the same size as original as it is there to protect the wiring not the device. 7.5A fuse will not protect a 20mA LED, it is there to absorb the cumulative loading on that circuit.

(for the record part of my background is electrical trades, electronics trades, industrial electronics, with certificates in all of these together with 33 years experience doing this type of work).

yeah, as i said, putting the 10A fuse was only a temp measure to get me by for 1 night... went to toyota the next morning to get the proper fuse and replaced it immediately. all is well now. hopefully this thread will help someone else down the track

thanks everyone for all your help. much appretiated