Bottom grill mod

httttt

Hello all,

I need some creative brain storming from the smart thinking people here.

My bottom grill needs some love now that I have the Lexus style grill and colour coded fog surrounds. Have you ever seen a male dog from behind?

Something needs to be done, but I don't want to ruin the bottom grill plastic.

What I have planned is the picture below. A single 2.1cm strip of plastic chrome in the centre of the grill.

Cruise002test.jpgCruise002.jpg

Here are my thoughts:

I have adlready purchased 2.4 Meters of the stuff.

616x600styling2.jpg

Now, how to mount it. The winning thought at the moment is to use bull clips.

551986_bull_clip.jpg

I will line it up and glue them to the back of the strip and shove them onto the middle part of the grill. If I feel that needs reinforcing I can use hot glue to hold them down that shouldn't damage the bottom grill.

And I will cap the ends of the strip off with rubber.

Any one else have any better/other ideas?

Thanks,

Macgyver

p.s. I realise putting the black fog light surrounds will nullify this problem, but that isn't an avenue I wish to go down at this moment.

p.s.s. My original thought was to colour code the plastic grill, but I now think that will look stupid.

Square Sponge Profiles

square-sponge-profiles-th.jpg

Rectangular Sponge Profiles

rectangular-sponge-profiles-th.jpg

EPDM Sponge or Neoprene Strips at Clark Rubber

Mount one of these adhesive strips, they come as a sponge type or as neoprene which has less compression, i think you'd be better off with neoprene, on top of the horizontal slat, and then mount the chrome strip on the front side of the foam. The depth of the slat is about 20mm, you can get the square one of the rectangular one, but i think for the rectangular one the adhesive is on the back of the longer length. So you may end up having to buy a large size and slicing it off, or just get the 19mm by 19mm square profile.

Thanks 51DER. I'll be posting up the results as soon as I receive the chrome strip.

I had another Macgyver moment, I am thinking the rubber caps that come from computer power supplies might cap the ends of the chrome off nicely.

That stuff looks interesting u54mot. Both solutions have opposite trade offs. The sponge will stick very well to the chrome but less to the plastic grill and the Clip will stick well to the Grill and less to the chrome.

I have enough of the chrome strip to try a few things.

If it works this will be the cheapest mod. $15 for the chrome. Taxed bull clips from work. Taxed Hot glue and Glue gun from the old man.

Diagram.

How do you plan on spreading the bullclip to clip it on? Once its glued, won't that make it kinda impossible to fold back the ears and squeeze to open?

What about getting some sort of T section, sticking your strip to the flat side, then screwing/gluing the T to the middle part of the grille?

post-13788-127687984379_thumb.png

Diagram.

How do you plan on spreading the bullclip to clip it on? Once its glued, won't that make it kinda impossible to fold back the ears and squeeze to open?

What about getting some sort of T section, sticking your strip to the flat side, then screwing/gluing the T to the middle part of the grille?

I get what you mean, if the bull clip is too strong it might be difficult. In that case I would probably have to take the grill off and wedge a screw driver in there to flex it open while I push it on. But I am hoping I can do it without taking the grill off again.

The T section is a great idea. But I want the least invasive (least damage) to the bottom grill plastic as possible.) If I can source a T section of plastic this is the option I will most likely pursue as it will have the most integrity.

Diagram.

I get what you mean, if the bull clip is too strong it might be difficult. In that case I would probably have to take the grill off and wedge a screw driver in there to flex it open while I push it on. But I am hoping I can do it without taking the grill off again.

The T section is a great idea. But I want the least invasive (least damage) to the bottom grill plastic as possible.) If I can source a T section of plastic this is the option I will most likely pursue as it will have the most integrity.

Alternately, if you can't find a plastic T-Section, an aluminium one might do the trick. Ullrich Aluminium and Capral Aluminium (page 5) both carry it, but you'd be looking at length price there because I don't think they sell it in cut lengths. It shouldn't be hard to find an aluminium fabricator or even a glazier that deals with one of them, so they may be able to sell you just the amount you need.

Alternately, if you can't find a plastic T-Section, an aluminium one might do the trick. Ullrich Aluminium and Capral Aluminium (page 5) both carry it, but you'd be looking at length price there because I don't think they sell it in cut lengths. It shouldn't be hard to find an aluminium fabricator or even a glazier that deals with one of them, so they may be able to sell you just the amount you need.

I will definitely be finding something like you posted above if my "poor mans" style mods fails.

The bull clip idea has turned to **** because when I put one on the grill it flicked up and down like a switch. My current thought is to use the vice grip to squash the bull clip into a T. I will most likely be drilling a hole through the clip, lining it up with the grill and putting a hole in the grill for a small cable tie to hold it in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice....how close are the edges of the chrome strip, flush with the bumper?

Coming together very well

Now only one more thing to do on the front end, refer: Davo's Aurion?

More paint needed.

Edited by u54mot

Very Nice....how close are the edges of the chrome strip, flush with the bumper?

Coming together very well

Thanks man.

They aren't flush but they are cut on an angle. I wish I could have cut them perfect but what do you expect from a backyard DIY? Actually, one side is inwards more than the other and the edges are a lil rough but they are things you only notice when you really look.