Petrol recommendation for new Kluger

Robin.W

Hi all,

I am newbie to the forum and a new owner of Kluger KX-S AWD (just less than one week).

I am told that it is better to fill 98-octane petrol for the new car.

Searching the forum, I found 95-octane is also suggested.

I will drive the car in the city for the most time. I would like to know what is best way to fill petrol? 91, 95, 98 or mix them somehow?

Your advice is appreciated.

Hi all,

I am newbie to the forum and a new owner of Kluger KX-S AWD (just less than one week).

I am told that it is better to fill 98-octane petrol for the new car.

Searching the forum, I found 95-octane is also suggested.

I will drive the car in the city for the most time. I would like to know what is best way to fill petrol? 91, 95, 98 or mix them somehow?

Your advice is appreciated.

After seeing at a demonstration years ago of BP Ultimate and how clean it leaves your engine, I will use nothing else both in my leased SSV since new and now the new family Kluger. I think Ultimate is 98 octane.

I am using a combination of 95 and 91 Octane. I purely use Caltex because of voucher.

I find 95 Octane is good enough. As I stated many times, 98 Octane will not do much as the car is tuned for 91. Higher octane will not do extra for your car, but I do find the acceleration is more responsive and quicker in the higher Octane.

95 gives me the best value, @ anything over 120 cent for ULP.

95 or 98 get similar resutls with us, 91 increase this usage by approx 2L/100ks and ethanol 10% blend is useless, about 5-6L more per 100ks, therefore the benfit of cheaper price is gone when you use more fuel to get there.

we found this and since our local downs brew 95, we stick to 98 vpower, done use caltex, we found even with 95 premium, it gets the same as a shell 91! Bp is ok but i have found it to not be very consistent in results, could be our local store but who knows.

bp has given the best results but on other occasions, not so impressive...

Different states or even different town uses different refinery.

So Shell in South Australia is totally different from Shell in Victoria.

Caltex and Mobil buys stuff from everywhere.

BP is imported.

BP is by far the best fuel in Melbourne. Just no discount.

My Kluger ain't sports car. I ain't fuss beating the lights or not in that... with 2 noisy kids at the back. I use a different car when I hurry back to work it is German with twin tubro. :) It has BP Ultimate 98 in it from Day 1.

Bascially both shell v power and bp ultimate are high density fuels, with higher end cleaning agents added. So you are right you won't get anymore power as the kluger is tuned for 91 octane, but you will see benefits in economy due to the higher density, and longterm benefits of a cleaner engine (guess that comes down to how long you plan on keeping the car).

95 premiums are not high density fuels, and probably don't have the superior cleaning agents that ultimate and v power use. So bascially with 95 you will only see a benefit over 91 if the car is tuned/made to run on 95.

cheers

Edited by wilsact

Ultimately your driving style makes more of a difference than the type of fuel you use. Thrash it and your economy will be poor, drive smoothly and minimise stopping/acceleration and it will be great. I've always found whether I thrash it or drive smoothly, I still get to where I'm going in the same time.

Save your money and stick with 91 RON. If you want to keep the engine clean, use an aftermarket fuel additive.

Bascially both shell v power and bp ultimate are high density fuels, with higher end cleaning agents added. So you are right you won't get anymore power as the kluger is tuned for 91 octane, but you will see benefits in economy due to the higher density, and longterm benefits of a cleaner engine (guess that comes down to how long you plan on keeping the car).

95 premiums are not high density fuels, and probably don't have the superior cleaning agents that ultimate and v power use. So bascially with 95 you will only see a benefit over 91 if the car is tuned/made to run on 95.

cheers

I know my thread is long on this subject, but you do get more power and better performance with 95/98 oct fuels, all the results are in my thread on this, economy is better too generally and there is never any pinging with 95 and 98, where as in summer your motor will ping under high load with 91 oct.

Your choice (for everyone) all of the info is there in my thread for people to make the most use from it. :)

In winter I use 91 summer I use 95 or 98 personally.

Different states or even different town uses different refinery.

So Shell in South Australia is totally different from Shell in Victoria.

Caltex and Mobil buys stuff from everywhere.

BP is imported.

BP is by far the best fuel in Melbourne. Just no discount.

My Kluger ain't sports car. I ain't fuss beating the lights or not in that... with 2 noisy kids at the back. I use a different car when I hurry back to work it is German with twin tubro. :) It has BP Ultimate 98 in it from Day 1.

^ I too only use BP fuel, if its good enough for the gulf of Mexico its good enough for me :)

Think you will find if you read your Owners Manual that your car needs atleast 95 Octane. I can tell you that my 05 model with the 3MZ-FE hates 91, doesnt mind 95 but really loves BP Ultimate 98

Think you will find if you read your Owners Manual that your car needs atleast 95 Octane. I can tell you that my 05 model with the 3MZ-FE hates 91, doesnt mind 95 but really loves BP Ultimate 98

Yes too much is made of "modern engines" and ECU controls saying they will retard knock events etc on lower octane fuel the fact is the engine will ping and detonate on on 91 oct fuel especially under high heat soak conditions (parked then restarted)and acceleration at full power, the ECU will retard the timing advance but the motor will still hit that bad point and its not healthy for it.

All of these engines use a pre programed ignition curve and they will run up against it when they can, Toyota do say its intelligent and will reduce the power through drowning the car in fuel and retarding the timing (as I have shown in my logs of it too, and the reduction of power). But its just a slow machine at the end of the day and you should run the highest quality fuel you can, its cost neutral anyway as we have all discovered so you may as well spend a bit more and put in the better fuel, its cheap insurance for your high powered engine. 270bhp on 3.5lt is a fair bit of power.

Winter time = you can get away with 91 oct (below 15 deg C ambient)

Summer especially 95 oct or 98 is the best choice. (anything above 25deg C ambient)

Remember also vapor pressure of all fuels is reduced in winter blends to make them easier to start (atomize) in cold environments, this makes the fuels more knock prone, knowing that its probably best to be not too much of a tight **** and just always put in the higher quality fuel (especially if you like driving hard or are towing etc etc).

• 7 months later...

I agree, mine doesn't feel as refined with 91 however with 95 it's much more responsive and smoother on start-up and acceleration. I can't tell the difference between 95 and 98 so don't usually splurge on thelatter.

Cheers

Matt