coilovers vs shock and spring combo

Sure can. If your referring to the ZRE, KYB has released "Lowfer Sports" struts for down low springs, or Or KYB NEW SR Special. They are available in Japan, also on YahooJapan.

Matched with a great set of down low springs, these would be awesome!

Not cheap tho!

Yeah, a good set of struts and springs combo would be good but wouldnt coilovers be better because of the range of adjustablity? set height/dampening.. softer/stiffer.

i dunno. have to get coilovers one day and find out.

Sure can. If your referring to the ZRE, KYB has released "Lowfer Sports" struts for down low springs, or Or KYB NEW SR Special. They are available in Japan, also on YahooJapan.

Matched with a great set of down low springs, these would be awesome!

Not cheap tho!

around same price as a set of coil overs?

Well, the prices i have seen are a bit obscure.

Check nengun for rough price:

KYB Lowfer Sport

KYB NEW SR

I think they would be around the AU1600 mark landed, plus springs.

The advantage of coil overs is you can obviously adjust dampener/rebound rates (those coil overs with adjustment) and dial in exact ride height. So, your still looking at almost 2k or just on for the KYB's installed with springs. You wanna hope ride height is spot on to what your after or thats another set of springs.. I would probably opt for custom springs from K-Mac for exact required ride height.

In reality coilovers are just a stiff spring with an adjustable dampening/rebound strut. Sure they have height adjustment; which you can control by ordering custom length springs. And camber adjustment via the upper mount; which you can usually fit to an aftermarket strut anyway. Coilovers just have the advantage of it all coming in a complete package. There will be no lap time difference between the two options provided they are setup the same. The speed is in the settings, not the product.

Listen to the wise words of SuperDave.. :toast:

I was in your situation, but I made a choice to go with coilovers. :)

Edited by dwee.

Listen to the wise words of SuperDave.. :toast:

I was in your situation, but I made a choice to go with coilovers. :)

wish my car was as sexy as yours.. team white ftw

Edited by Ascendant Rice

A well matched set of shocks and springs will beat a set of second/third rate coilovers in terms of handling anytime. Getting a set of coilovers doesn't mean you're instantly changing your car to a cornering machine, far from it in fact if you get the wrong ones!

You get better handling from well matched set of shocks/springs, swaybars and tires than forking out $2K for el cheapo coilovers ;)

Don't forget look at your application, if you don't track, no point in getting racing orientated coilovers (ie STIFF), you'll make your daily a misery to drive (Considering Australian roads are about as smooth as a teenagers pimple covered face)

yeah im thinking of just getting some lowering springs and finding a set of shocks to match the spring rate w/e. i dont think ill ever track it though i also dont like body roll at all. any one know how much lovells shocks would roughly be? cant find any pricing on the site