New wheels fitted!

ZEEROLLA

Got my new wheels fitted today! They are 16x7inch RJR Circuit in "Sports Bronze" with Yokohama C.Drive Tyres 205/50 R16 87W. The wheels cost me $130 each and the Tyres $200 each. Got them from Bob Jane and i love the new look sooo much!! I got a lot of attention at Bob Jane with people saying the colour matches really well which i was originally apprehensive about but it pretty much turned out to be the match i wanted :lol:

Here are some crappy pics i took at night.. when its daylight i will get some real nice ones B)

post-135-1118910372_thumb.jpg

holy S*#t they look amazing...

real good choice mate.. love the colour..

makes my choice on rims that much harder..

had the heart set on black but seeing ur rims puts a spanner in the works..

great choice again,

looks the shizzle! :lol: :lol:

why are there people getting 16 x 7 or 16 x7.5 instead of going to 17s is there somthing about the performance of 16s over 17s or even 18s.

ive got the new wheels i want picked out in 17 x 7 but there not cheap so if theres any reason why i should stay with 16s please let me know because 16 x 7 or 16 x 7.5 are much cheaper in these same wheels.

by the way ZEEROLLA is your car lowered or stock?

16s can survive a greater lateral load ie, they corner faster, because of the balance of sidewall flex and tread contact area. 17's are also OK, but 18's will slide heaps and are heavy. 16's are lighter as less metal also.

I'm personally planning 17's for the daily bling factor and put some track tyres on the stock rims until I can upgrade to lighter 16s.

why are there people getting 16 x 7 or 16 x7.5 instead of going to 17s is there somthing about the performance of 16s over 17s or even 18s.

ive got the new wheels i want picked out in 17 x 7 but there not cheap so if theres any reason why i should stay with 16s please let me know because 16 x 7 or 16 x 7.5 are much cheaper in these same wheels.

first of all tyre size and the type u can get in that size. try finding ultra high performance tyres for 215/40r17, let alone semi slicks. even if u do, tyre wear will cost more than your fuel bill per km.

and it's not the diameter of your wheel that makes it handle better. it's the profile of the tyre and how wide it get's stretched to. low profile tyres make the car feel very sharp, at road speeds. that can work against u as well, coz it makes the car very 'skippy'. on the other hand, high performance tyres have a much stiffer sidewall to compensate for the 'floating' feeling u get from a taller sidewall. semi slicks although have relatively taller sidewalls they have steel belts in them that make them really stiff. the wider u stretch a tyre, the better response and control u get, since there is more tension in the tyre to stop it wandering around under load.

i dunno if i've explained it right. but anyone who's been in my car when i've had the 17s and the 16s would understand better.

Edited by shaohaok

first of all tyre size and the type u can get in that size. try finding ultra high performance tyres for 215/40r17, let alone semi slicks. even if u do, tyre wear will cost more than your fuel bill per km.

and it's not the diameter of your wheel that makes it handle better. it's the profile of the tyre and how wide it get's stretched to. low profile tyres make the car feel very sharp, at road speeds. that can work against u as well, coz it makes the car very 'skippy'. on the other hand, high performance tyres have a much stiffer sidewall to compensate for the 'floating' feeling u get from a taller sidewall. semi slicks although have relatively taller sidewalls they have steel belts in them that make them really stiff. the wider u stretch a tyre, the better response and control u get, since there is more tension in the tyre to stop it wandering around under load.

i dunno if i've explained it right. but anyone who's been in my car when i've had the 17s and the 16s would understand better.

Darkeh: The wheels are not heavy, i could pick it up with one arm easy out of the box and i am only little. I would estimate they weigh about 6-8kg maybe less and this is without tyres. You can drop by BobJane and the usually have a set of 15inch ones on display and they light!

Eddy: My car is lowered wit Whiteline springs about 35mm but still has a 1.5-2 inch gap between tyres and guard. And 16inch tyres are way cheaper and there are much more options to choose from ;)

After i got my new wheels and yokohama tyres being 205/50 profile being stretched over the 7inch rim, i noticed the much sharper steering response over the 195/55 Turanzas. But i also noticed the discomfort when driving over suburban potholes and undulations compared to the 55 profile tyres.

1 more thing i noticed was that if the tyres were another half inch wider it would have been illegal because its right at the limit now, can't go any wider with these rims. I also noticed slight wheelspin and torquesteer in LIFT in 1st and 3rd (not 2nd) tonight when i raced a FC RX7 which left me for dead! I put the spinnin down to new rubber :blink: I also blame my 2 mates that were in the car for the loss though :P

Other than that i absolutely love the wheels, they were exactly the look i wanted! :lol:

More pics:

post-135-1118944092_thumb.jpg

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mucho Respect dude :lol:

I love the look and Yes 16 look great.....

Also you can now fit semi slicks to your stock rimms and give me a run at the track :D

My 206 Gti 180 coms std with 17s, they look the biz but at the track as no where nears as good as the 15 inch light weight steelies ive got with Falken azenis RT215 semi slicks :P

Can you fit 15 inch rolla steelies and still have clearance for your brake calipers???

If so id suggest that with a good set of semi slicks or even full slicks for track use :rolleyes:

The extra perfomane is amazing, i took Dave out at Oran park on tues...we were out with 2 other Gti 180s (on 17inch Pirelli P Zero Nero and P7000s) and a mirage cup race car and through the esse's the latergrip advantage i had over all the other cars was awesome!!!

I would round these guys up through esses being able to carry more corner speed and pull up close enough on the final turn to carry speed onto the straight to overtake :D

But back to your new bling Bro they do look the Dogs Balls B)

Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mucho Respect dude :lol:

I love the look and Yes 16 look great.....

Also you can now fit semi slicks to your stock rimms and give me a run at the track :D

My 206 Gti 180 coms std with 17s, they look the biz but at the track as no where nears as good as the 15 inch light weight steelies ive got with Falken azenis RT215 semi slicks :P

Can you fit 15 inch rolla steelies and still have clearance for your brake calipers???

If so id suggest that with a good set of semi slicks or even full slicks for track use :rolleyes:

The extra perfomane is amazing, i took Dave out at Oran park on tues...we were out with 2 other Gti 180s (on 17inch Pirelli P Zero Nero and P7000s) and a mirage cup race car and through the esse's the latergrip advantage i had over all the other cars was awesome!!!

I would round these guys up through esses being able to carry more corner speed and pull up close enough on the final turn to carry speed onto the straight to overtake  :D

But back to your new bling Bro they do look the Dogs Balls B)

Quuuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

:lol: Thanks man, yeh i've always wanted to go 16s just on the basis they are not too big nor small and i can get good tyres at a more reasonable price ;) I did consider getting the Falken RT225 semis too so i guess i have to find myself another set of wheels now since i am selling my stockies.. 15inch wheels might fit i don't know really, some say they don't but damn they will look ungly on the Corolla :P

Hey guys,

I was going to open a new post for the same reason, but i hope you dont mind if I add it in here.

I've had my new rims fitted this week! Heres a pic, just keep in mind that its getting lowered next week so it wont be a monster truck for too long.

Edited by mick0082

Hey guys,

I was going to open a new post for the same reason, but i hope you dont mind if I add it in here.

I've had my new rims fitted this week! Heres a pic, just keep in mind that its getting lowered next week so it wont be a monster truck for too long.

Nice :) Them big rims 17s or 18s?

Z

THAT DOES IT!!!!

I'M GOING SHOPPING THIS WEEKEND..... there are some great sales on at the moment too :D

wish me luck ;)

I'll also let you all know the results... :D

haha Dylan can't resist the temptation no more!! :lol:

Yeah guys i'm going to be lowering the car, thats a certainty. Hoping to get it done this week but that will depend if the suspension guys can source the parts and fit me in.

Another thing that has been slowing me down is the vast discussion on here regarding springs/suspension.

I'm not going to be doing any track work and I dont want an ultra stiff ride so at this stage i think i'll go with the low king springs.

I was thinking superlows at first but apparently they deteriorate the ride quality a hell of a lot more than the regular lows.

Again I guess this is subject individual preferance and use.

I'll post some more pics up when shes lower.