fuel door light

maybe a stupid question.. but is this 'light' supposed to be on all the time? or is it spose to come on only when u leave the fuel door open? coz mine's on, and stays on after i turn the ignition on

:blink:

does the pre-facelift have this sensor/light also?

post-866-1119163792_thumb.jpg

maybe a stupid question.. but is this 'light' supposed to be on all the time? or is it spose to come on only when u leave the fuel door open? coz mine's on, and stays on after i turn the ignition on

Funny you should ask this coz i had a prob with mine a few weeks ago...

It doesnt come on at all, fuel door open or closed...

It's supposed to come on when you leave the fuel door open...

The pre facelift has it too, so doez the base models.

The arrow to the left of the light, pointing to the left, also tells you what side the fuel door is on, so you dont have to rember.

If you also park close enough to the pump at fill up time, it doesnt matter what side of the pump you pull up on, the hose reaches across the boot without even touching the car!!!

That renders the fuel door light utterley pointless and annoying.

If my dash ever has to come apart, thats the first thing I will disconnect.

Oh, and its supposed to be on all the time, it might be a good idea if they spent another $4 (inc cable) and put a switch there, so it actullay had a purpose.

I wonder if the jap sedans have it there as a 'door open' switch? Marcus......

yeah its another stupid engineering design thing that toyota did ...... All it tells u is what side the fuel inlet is on.... nothing more....... if they made it to switch on when the fuel flap was open it would have been good.... I actually originally thought its telling u that u need fuel so here i am leaving the dealership with half a tank of gas and i start having a go at the sales guy that the instrumental is busted saying i need fuel...... boy did i look silly

I haven't noticed this on my car. From my prev experience with other cars I thought this light comes on if u are running low on oil. It's an oil light....not a fuel light. I may be wrong as each car is different.

I haven't noticed this on my car. From my prev experience with other cars I thought this light comes on if u are running low on oil. It's an oil light....not a fuel light. I may be wrong as each car is different.

oil light is on coz i jst got my reds on to take the pic. the car isnt actually running.

The light simply points to which side your fuel door is on, for one like me who forgets all the time its quite bloody handy :).

I don't think that that's the light they are talking about at the moment.

Oh, in that case, the light that looks like an oil canister is to alert you if you have lost oil pressure or if your oil is low, the fuel door one points at the side the fuel door is on, the one with the numbers going up to 240KMH is the speedo, the one with the fuel pump tells you how much fuel you have, the one with the thermometer tells you the engine temperature and the one down the bottom with the numbers tells you how far you have travelled :D :D :D :D :D

The light simply points to which side your fuel door is on, for one like me who forgets all the time its quite bloody handy :).

I don't think that that's the light they are talking about at the moment.

um guys... he's talking about the light that tells what side the fuel lid is on... he knows it's perminatly on now he'd just never noticed it before... he's explained that the other light was on because he had the car key turned ON but the engine hadn't been started... This will always bring the oil pressure light on!!!

Edited by Blue_Stivo

um guys... he's talking about the light that tells what side the fuel lid is on... he knows it's perminatly on now he'd just never noticed it before... he's explained that the other light was on because he had the car key turned ON but the engine hadn't been started... This will always bring the oil pressure light on!!!

yes yes.. wat he said :rolleyes:

Thats what I thought hence my smart ***** break down of all the lights in the picture :D :D :D :D :D

For those of you with Optitron instruments, it looks like a separate bulb behind that little light, from what I can see in the picture above.

For the rest of us with the electroluminescent instruments, its just printed there like the other markings on the instruments, so there's no easy way of removing it.

I have to say I don't notice it in regular driving (I even had to go down to the garage and check, because I didn't remember seeing it), but I'd say I'd notice it much more if I had Optitron.

While on the topic of gauges, how do you guys go with the red dials at night? Just my personal opinion, but I can't stand the red lighting ... I love the EL instruments on our wagon, though. :)

Edited by Buddha

For those of you with Optitron instruments, it looks like a separate bulb behind that little light, from what I can see in the picture above.

For the rest of us with the electroluminescent instruments, its just printed there like the other markings on the instruments, so there's no easy way of removing it.

I have to say I don't notice it in regular driving (I even had to go down to the garage and check, because I didn't remember seeing it), but I'd say I'd notice it much more if I had Optitron.

ditto, i never noticed it even with a led display until these guys brought it forward.. :lol:

Most new makes of cars have 'fuel door' and the arrow somewhere on the dash these days...

Agreed that it should only be lit up when it's left open... Even a better idea would be emit a buzzing sound aswell if the cap has been left off, even if the fuel door is closed ;) ;) ;) ...

Most new makes of cars have 'fuel door' and the arrow somewhere on the dash these days...

Agreed that it should only be lit up when it's left open... Even a better idea would be emit a buzzing sound aswell if the cap has been left off, even if the fuel door is closed ;)  ;)  ;) ...

Is that speaking from experience rolla boy :P

Nah man... But I like to play games at servos, collect any loose caps and sell them back to the person that comes looking for them  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ...

Luckily, the latest Corolla's (as did my Starlet, and no doubt other Toyotas) has a little bracket in the fuel door to hold the cap, so if I do manage to lose it, I'll look like an even bigger dill than I already am! :P

Some cars, like Jags, have a magnetic fuel cap so it just clips to the door without a bracket.

Here at au.toyotaownersclub.com, we delve into the big issues! :lol: