2002 V6 Camry front stabilzer/anti roll bar modification

Vijith555

thanks for the update Andrew..so this ceramic coating, is it something i can do to my existing SRI pipe? like i can coat it with that or just use some heat shield adhesive i guess. And if i am to do some coating where do i find them? And since like you say the heat transfer is minimum im not that bothered to put shields and stuff around the filter..

and with the laws here i have so far heard they are happy with the SRI/CAI as long as it is mounted properly which on mine i have made sure..

It is something you can do to your existing pipe. Most decent exhaust shops should do this for you. When I was talking about the heat transfer, I was referring to the heat soaking into the SRI/CAI tubing; not the filter. If you are anal about heatsoak into the tubing you can get it coated in ceramic if you wish.

However, a pod filter in a hot engine bay will take in hot air. Isolate it from the engine bay by either a shield or routing it out of the engine bay will allow the filter to take in cooler air.

edit: Reducing the temperature of your intake air is beneficial for obvious reasons.

cool...i will see how i go..so far i can only feel the gain in performance but not any decrease in it..if someday i feel that there is a decrease, will go about getting a shield otherwise just leave it as it is and see...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What restrictions does WA have on exposed filters in the bay?

i dont know for sure..but as far as i have heard they are fine as long as the filter is properly mounted with clamps and secured so that it doesnt move around..on mine that part of things are taken care of..

What restrictions does WA have on exposed filters in the bay?

i dont know for sure..but as far as i have heard they are fine as long as the filter is properly mounted with clamps and secured so that it doesnt move around..on mine that part of things are taken care of..

Ahh ok, same as QLD then.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

i just got my whiteline rear sway bar installed today! i drove to the nearest winding road and it's a pretty decent improvement. can enter corners way faster and keep up speeds during longer corners. but i also got some really bad news from pedders which i'm going to get a second opinion on. they checked out my suspension and everything and told me:

- i need all 4 shocks replaced, the front left is leaking and that they are the ORIGINAL factory shocks (my car has done 289,000ks) - about $270 each

- rear bushes split, front bushes soft, excessive movement - $194 and $316

- leaking steering rack - $780 (i already knew about this though)

- lower trailing arm bushes badly worn - $198

parts and labour all up: $2695. i don't even know if it's worth it based on my car's value. i guess the sway bar would be way better if i had shocks that actually worked. it's insane to think that my car has never had its shocks replaced.

i'm pretty annoyed that the toyota dealer i get my car serviced with EVERY 10,000ks has never picked up on this stuff (but they did notice the steering rack).

but yeah anyways the sway bar is definitely worth it haha.

Just thought I would add to your little post there.

My car has 250000kms on it and its still on original shocks...thy are completely wasted but I am too tight to spend the money to upgrade. I might be buying a Golf R next year...

Second opinion is definitely worth while. Even though Pedders has identified problems, they are also out there to get business. Pedders are not the cheapest people around. With regards to Toyota servicing the car every 10,000 k's, how many apprentices have worked on your car!

Definitely worth getting a second opinion as Pedders is so damn expensive.

Most places will offer you a free suspension check and quote; let them know you are shopping around so they will give you a competitive price.

If you want a good quality OEM replacement shock, KYB Excel-G shocks are hard to beat. Good shops will sell them for around $150 or so. You can alternatively order them from Greg @ GSL Rallysport who does them at good prices.

Poly bushes are a good upgrade if you want a firmer ride but you will notice the increase in NVH. Nolathane & SuperPro are the 2 big ones but I believe Whiteline recently entered the poly bush market.

While your steering rack is out, I strongly recommend putting in the steering rack poly bushes. They will increase your steering response dramatically.

Just thought I would add to your little post there.

My car has 250000kms on it and its still on original shocks...thy are completely wasted but I am too tight to spend the money to upgrade. I might be buying a Golf R next year...

ohh i see. i thought it was a really rare occurrence or something haha. but yeah i know nothing

Second opinion is definitely worth while. Even though Pedders has identified problems, they are also out there to get business. Pedders are not the cheapest people around. With regards to Toyota servicing the car every 10,000 k's, how many apprentices have worked on your car!

yeah i'm now considering finding another place to get serviced! it's not like i have a warranty or anything with toyota anyways.

Definitely worth getting a second opinion as Pedders is so damn expensive.

Most places will offer you a free suspension check and quote; let them know you are shopping around so they will give you a competitive price.

If you want a good quality OEM replacement shock, KYB Excel-G shocks are hard to beat. Good shops will sell them for around $150 or so. You can alternatively order them from Greg @ GSL Rallysport who does them at good prices.

Poly bushes are a good upgrade if you want a firmer ride but you will notice the increase in NVH. Nolathane & SuperPro are the 2 big ones but I believe Whiteline recently entered the poly bush market.

While your steering rack is out, I strongly recommend putting in the steering rack poly bushes. They will increase your steering response dramatically.

excel-g shocks are sounding good right now at that price hahaha. i don't really mind extra NVH because i'd do anything to decrease the bounciness of my car. all i know is i need to start saving right now.

has anyone had any experience with ebay shocks? should i just steer clear?

The eBay shocks, I am assuming you are referring to the Ultima ones? They aren't a nobody brand by any means but I haven't heard anything (good or bad) about them (http://www.wholesalesuspension.com.au/ultima.html)

My biggest issue with eBay is warranty claims. I've had a few issues with computer goods and it's always been crap to get it on warranty (through eBay) and I've always had to deal with the manufacturer.

The eBay shocks, I am assuming you are referring to the Ultima ones? They aren't a nobody brand by any means but I haven't heard anything (good or bad) about them (http://www.wholesalesuspension.com.au/ultima.html)

My biggest issue with eBay is warranty claims. I've had a few issues with computer goods and it's always been crap to get it on warranty (through eBay) and I've always had to deal with the manufacturer.

yep those are the ones. i'm glad they're not a nobody brand, now i feel a bit better about them! thanks for the info! i think i'd prefer to deal with the manufacturer for warranty because i'd probably trust them more than some ebayer.

• 3 weeks later...

i ended up buying ultima front shocks from ebay. $200 plus $16 postage. i tried installing them myself but i couldn't loosen one of the nuts so gave up because i'm a quitter and took them to brakes plus. they installed them for $110 so $326 all up for front shocks is pretty good i reckon compared to the $270ish each pedders wanted to charge. i can already notice the handling and ride improvement with just new front shocks. can't wait to do the rear pair!

i ended up buying ultima front shocks from ebay. $200 plus $16 postage. i tried installing them myself but i couldn't loosen one of the nuts so gave up because i'm a quitter and took them to brakes plus. they installed them for $110 so $326 all up for front shocks is pretty good i reckon compared to the $270ish each pedders wanted to charge. i can already notice the handling and ride improvement with just new front shocks. can't wait to do the rear pair!

It certainly makes a huge difference going from worn shocks to new shocks, you'll definitely notice a difference when they throw the rears in.

Biggest issue is, you'll notice how much you want a sportier shock once these are put in! :blink:

It certainly makes a huge difference going from worn shocks to new shocks, you'll definitely notice a difference when they throw the rears in.

Biggest issue is, you'll notice how much you want a sportier shock once these are put in! :blink:

yeah i was thinking i should get something sporty but they're way out of my budget. anything's an improvement from the 290,000k old shocks :P. i have a whiteline rsb and i just bought a strut brace off ebay. hopefully all together they make some sort of improvement in handling once the rear shocks are done.

yeah i was thinking i should get something sporty but they're way out of my budget. anything's an improvement from the 290,000k old shocks :P. i have a whiteline rsb and i just bought a strut brace off ebay. hopefully all together they make some sort of improvement in handling once the rear shocks are done.

Oh, they will definitely make a difference. I am just saying that you will come out wanting more. Happened to me with my suspension setup.

Switched to KYB excel-g and lowered springs, RSB + strut brace and was pretty happy. Put in some poly bushes and was pretty happy. Took it up for a few hard mountain runs and became very unhappy.

At least I know I have some Koni Yellows which will set me straight.

• 3 weeks later...

I know i've gotten off topic in recent posts but i just bolted on my strut brace today! i wouldn't have a clue what brand it is as i got it from some hong kong seller on ebay. but i only wanted something cheap and mannnn what a difference it made. i wasn't expecting much but it really has improved my handling. it just feels really stiff and tight at the front end, i can't really explain it. so i reckon this coupled with the RSB is pretty mad. i just need to buy new rear shocks now.

one disadvantage i've heard about having a strut brace though is any side impact collision near the brace will make way more damage to your car as it's connected to both sides. makes sense. but i'm willing to take that risk i guess.

also in response to what andrew said, i might want more from my setup but i think i'll be pretty happy with it at least for a while. i drove my car to its grip limit on a winding road a few months back and i had a lot of fun, then later on i find out my shocks were shot, bushes etc. but i was happy with it at the time so i guess this can only make things better! (i hope)

post-12294-0-91335600-1289206033_thumb.j

Might as well post in this thread

Gen 4 owners keep an eye out. I won't say anything else until I get the work done.

Where are you going with this? :blink:

Patience my son. Will report back tomorrow.