Melbourne's New Freeway Exit Signs

sammygee

Hi Drivers,

A new freeway exit numbering system has been developed to help unfamiliar drivers and tourists navigate Melbourne's extensive freeway network.

VicRoads has posted an instructional video on YouTube, with details on the new numbering system.

Please watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/vicroads#p/u/3/weYFUabIQxU

In the interests of full disclosure, I am getting the word out on behalf of VicRoads.

Thank You.

I guess I haven't driven enough on Melbourne roads to tell if this would really be that useful. When you have such a 'complex' road network like that (as well as in Sydney), having the addition of this exit number would probably add more confusion for interstate drivers.

I remember when Queensland Transport introduced exit numbers for the M1 where the exit number represented how many kilometres away from the CBD the exit is. Up to this day, I still have not once utilised the exit numbers when giving direction.

I guess I haven't driven enough on Melbourne roads to tell if this would really be that useful. When you have such a 'complex' road network like that (as well as in Sydney), having the addition of this exit number would probably add more confusion for interstate drivers.

I remember when Queensland Transport introduced exit numbers for the M1 where the exit number represented how many kilometres away from the CBD the exit is. Up to this day, I still have not once utilised the exit numbers when giving direction.

When I was up at the Gold Coast earlier in the year and had to head up the M1 to Runcorn to pick up my Levin seats, the distance-based exit numbers came in fairly handy on gauging how much further you had to go (better than distance-to-suburb/town numbers, as they're not directly on the highway and thus can be deceiving). On the flip-side, they can be a little confusing if you've got several in close proximity.

No, this is not like how this one is. It's very simple. It is just a count down from 8 to 1. Exit 8, next exit will be 7, next exit will be 6 and so on.

Makes it much easier to say 'take exit 5' instead of having to remember the exit name.

Edited by unique

What happens if you guys build a new exit between exit 7 and 8 for example?

lol. is it even possible to build a new exit? Never heard of new exits being built. Even if they did it would be pretty easy to remove signs and put them in the correct order again. It's just one sign that shows a number.

Hahah well I came back from Phillip Island on the weekend and man was I confused travelling along! After the tunnel you now have to get off this new exit so I could go back up and over the bridge to get onto the Tulla again - was very weird seeing the bridge up ahead but veering off! Poor GPS had no idea what I was doing hahaha So I'm not sure about this exit numbering but guess I'll give it a go (I noticed on top of the signs it had W4/W3 as well for Bendigo); the main problem with freeway signage is as you say Lee you're going at 100km/h and often you could miss a sign, in Melbourne in a lot of places there is hardly sufficient warning for what exit is coming up next and more often then not you're stuck in the wrong lane.

I don't entirely believe that Daryl, because the Deception Bay exit is 135 (or close to) and the Smith Street (Southport) is 64 or something close to that...

Edit: Here's a Wikipedia link or 2 regarding Qld Signs.

Gateway Motorway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Motorway

Bruce Highway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Highway

Pacific Motorway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Motorway

Edited by HDACHE

I don't entirely believe that Daryl, because the Deception Bay exit is 135 (or close to) and the Smith Street (Southport) is 64 or something close to that...

Edit: Here's a Wikipedia link or 2 regarding Qld Signs.

Gateway Motorway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Motorway

Bruce Highway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Highway

Pacific Motorway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Motorway

Bah. It's an honest mistake okay. I was referring to the M3 not the M1. On the M3, the exit number refers to distance from the CBD. On the M1, it is the distance to the QLD/NSW boarder.

See what I mean about putting numbers to roads. Grrrr.

What happens if you guys build a new exit between exit 7 and 8 for example?

That would be exit 7.5 or 7 1/2.... :lol: now that would get confusing at freeway speeds.

Does this mean exit 9 3/4 leads to Hogwarts? :lol:

it would be pretty easy to remove signs and put them in the correct order again.

Wouldn't this just add to the confusion of giving directions by numbers? Tourists will start getting all levels of lost if you send them off exit 8, without realising that a new exit now exists between 7 and 8, so exit 8 is now exit 9, and the new exit 8 leads somewhere else entirely. At least by saying "take the Airport exit" you'll send them to the airport, regardless of whether its exit number 8, 9, 12 or 67.

Edited by Paradigm

it would be pretty easy to remove signs and put them in the correct order again.

Wouldn't this just add to the confusion of giving directions by numbers? Tourists will start getting all levels of lost if you send them off exit 8, without realising that a new exit now exists between 7 and 8, so exit 8 is now exit 9, and the new exit 8 leads somewhere else entirely. At least by saying "take the Airport exit" you'll send them to the airport, regardless of whether its exit number 8, 9, 12 or 67.

This Vic Roads idea is the same as our M3 here where the exit number refers to the kilometres away from the CBD. This is why there was the joke about adding an exit between two of them. So in the case of the above, exit 8 will always be exit 8.

This Vic Roads idea is the same as our M3 here where the exit number refers to the kilometres away from the CBD. This is why there was the joke about adding an exit between two of them. So in the case of the above, exit 8 will always be exit 8.

Refers to the amount of KM's away from the CBD

Are you 100% sure about this? I'm sure it's actually just a count down rather then how many KM's left.

lol, well it's not like building a new exit is a daily occurrence so being confused is highly unlikely.

did anyone else notice the semi looking Holden Monaro in the video and the GTR fly past at 55 seconds into the vid. He must have been doing at least 150!

Hahaha, yeah. I was thinking come on Vicroads, out of all cars you put a GTR and it's flying past at a high rate of speed? Shows how serious Vicroads are about road safety.

Are you 100% sure about this? I'm sure it's actually just a count down rather then how many KM's left.

Good point. I guess I read/watched the video incorrectly. My bad.

All good mate. For a second I thought what you said could be correct but the thing is I have driven down the freeway that does have these signs installed and they do not represent the amount of KM's left when you compare it to signs that show KM's left to the city.

Also in the video it says "closer you get, lower the number". Nothing about KM's. :)

Refers to the amount of KM's away from the CBD

lol, well it's not like building a new exit is a daily occurrence so being confused is highly unlikely.

lol, you've obviously never been to Tasmania! They're always f****n changing something!