Springs

HIROLA

Hey Guys,

Now i have done a search for suspension, and all i seem to get is people changing the springs and shocks. What i want to know is, is there anyone out there who has changed the springs to lowered springs with out any problems and if so what springs did you use?

Thanks in advance

i've changed to king super lows for about 3 months now. no problems as yet. i've known a few people who have also changed them to king super lows for over a year now, without any problems as well.

i guess it's how you drive that matters ;) ;) ;)

thanks bigbum, I got quoted $180 for King Springs i mite go with them. Any one have Pedders? Are they any good?

well my friend would install super low king springs (springs +installation) for only $350.for me thats a good deal.

i think stockvvti is using pedders. why don't you PM him.

Edited by CoRroLLa-JAHAT

If you are changing the springs and not the shocks, then just remember, the lowered springs will put more strain on the original components. Your shock absorbers will not last as long and in some cases can have a negative effect on cornering.

I remember back in 1999, whiteline tested a WRX standard compared with low springs around Winton and the lowered WRX was slower. Its not the case with all cars but something to consider.

Shock absorbers make more of a difference to your cars cornering abilities than springs... but shocks wont give you that cool lowered stance B)

iv been told that pedders are stiffer than kings....so thats sumthing u could also look at.........

but generally speaking....if u wanna lower ur car (funds pending) than lower it properly......

ie. with either coilovers

or springs matched with shocks

cos at the end of the day ul be thankful that u did it the proper way :D

iv been told that pedders are stiffer than kings....so thats sumthing u could also look at.........

but generally speaking....if u wanna lower ur car (funds pending) than lower it properly......

so which is better to use?should i use the super low king springs?? coz im using the spring just to have lower car ^_^ and im using it for everyday driving. wei wei what do u mean by springs matched with shocks?could u gimme example of the brand so i could get the idea?thanks

Thats a good point wei wei, but every suspension place i have been to and i have been to quite a few in the last couple days :P have told me that for the drop i want 35mm, i wont need to change my shocks. Is this right? Thats why i started this post to see if anyone else had lowered their car using just springs and had no problems.

so which is better to use?should i use the super low king springs?? coz im using the spring just to have lower car  and im using it for everyday driving. wei wei what do u mean by springs matched with shocks?could u gimme example of the brand so i could get the idea?thanks
Thats a good point wei wei, but every suspension place i have been to and i have been to quite a few in the last couple days  have told me that for the drop i want 35mm, i wont need to change my shocks. Is this right? Thats why i started this post to see if anyone else had lowered their car using just springs and had no problems.

what i mean by springs matched with shocks is for e.g. koni adjustable shocks and king springs (what most ppl on here r running) ...... u can also get other springs n not kings and match them with the konis...for e.g. whiteline, pedders, eibachs, lovell.........having said that tho, konis arnt the only shocks available for the corollas......its just that the combination of konis n kings seems to be the best thus far and the best value for money....

if u want to just lower ur car on springs with the original shocks than unfortuantely they WILL DIE :( after a short period of time......stoopid head has lowered his stivo on just king lows n said that he scrubs all the time and that his shocks r dead as well......silvabullit has also said that his shocks r dead due to being lowered just on king lows......both r soon to be buyers of konis i think :D:D:D

as for king super lows on standard shocks.....tho u will get the pimpin look to the car......ur car will scrape n scrub, as one of the guys who works for lexus in bris and has done this combo, has said so himself :( according to him he scrapes n scrubs everywhere he goes :(

if u wanted super lows u could get super lows with konis as than u will not scrub n the car will handle just as good if not better than konis with normal lows.......downside tho is that u will have clearance n scraping issues :(.....just ask northy (he has the lowest corolla to date i believe - lovell super lows with koni adjustables)

n e ways hope that helps ......

peeps with more knowledge n experience plz feel free to correct n e mistakes i may have made....

cheerio

wei wei

HIROLA,

I was in your exact position a couple of weeks ago. Alot of the members on here gave input all with varying outcomes.

Its true, changing to lower springs without changing your shocks will kill them faster but that all depends on how you drive it.

I wanted the look of king superlows but didnt want the scraping, rubbing and crashing of the suspension. I've gone with King lows and standard shocks for the time being (as funds were low after actually purchasing the car plus the rims).

The lows give me a decent look without deteriorating the ride too much, I'm not sure how the ride will go as the shocks weaken but I realised this when I started the whole lowering adventure. When the time comes I will probably replace the shocks with koni's but until then the ride is quite ok and its giving me time to save money.

I'll post some pics up of the car lowered in the next couple of days, my avatar hasnt been updated yet, its still in monster truck mode :lol:

Pedder's springs are King's painted red!

i think not but i could be wrong. when you buy kings the coil base is shaved but with pedders i thought it is a full coil like the original springs. maybe kings produce a line that is specifically for resale.

trd coilovers are really kyb painted blue and with a trd sticker

Edited by kcorro

Got a set of Pedders springs in my early Honda Civic. Some of the paint has chipped off to reveal the lovely yellow that king's paint their springs. I've also heard it form various other people in the auto industry :D