obx helical lsd

daniboy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-LSD-DIFFERENTIAL-00-05-CELICA-GT-GTS-2ZZ-1ZZ-M-T-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2557929894QQitemZ160383015060QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

anyone seen these yet? looks fairly cheap quality but u know someone might wanna try one!

Edited by daniboy

as i understand it they are just a copy of the quaife .... & looking at the link SD put up (thx SD) ...... you pop it open to add some washers to get it as close as possible to the quaife ...... i personally went for the quaife because firstly at the time no one else made a helical lsd other than quaife & trd and secondly because of the life time warrenty. To warrent ur product even if its used in a racing application for life u'd be nuts unless ur product was crash hot. For the extra cash i prefer peace of mind but at the end of the day its ur cash and ur risk so might be an easy way to save some dosh. I would recommend an LSD to anyone that doesnt have one in their stivo.

awwww man don't put ideas in my head. What exactly are the benefits of an lsd in a nutshell? I've read up on MWR but it doesn't really explain it well and google gives really vague results. I know its just a diff but regulates the power to the wheels somehow lol

before we dig into what an LSD does ..... i'd suggest u get a good read about what a diff does.

here is a very simple video

some good reads regarding LSD

http://wikicars.org/en/Limited_slip_differential

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

awwww man don't put ideas in my head. What exactly are the benefits of an lsd in a nutshell? I've read up on MWR but it doesn't really explain it well and google gives really vague results. I know its just a diff but regulates the power to the wheels somehow lol

Best example I can think of is this. When you drive out of a driveway/tight corner and give it a boot full and it spins up one wheel? Well it stops that from happening and you'll actually accelerate.

Best example I can think of is this. When you drive out of a driveway/tight corner and give it a boot full and it spins up one wheel? Well it stops that from happening and you'll actually accelerate.

Thanks SD just exactly what I wanted.

PM Me if you need help fitting the OBX I have one installed

Curiosity Matt, does the JDM Runx have a speed signal running from the gearbox? Was diagnosing a problem on a zze122 the other day and was looking at the speed sensors between the Celica, zze122 and zze123; and my zze123 didn't have the speedo sensor in the same place. So just curious if yours is the same or not? Just wondering if the vehicle speed comes from the ABS ECU on the Sportivo. The problem on the zze122 ended up being a broken cluster BTW.

i asked the seller if the obx lsd he was selling would take the corolla speedo gear with no modification and he says it will fit on with no modification, did yours have to be modified matt?

Edited by daniboy

a quick question , what happens if you get both wheels spining while turning with the lsd installed, would you just have terrible understeer and drive straight off the road.

Or do you need alot more power then 141kw to cause that kinda front wheel drive wheel spin.

dave

The LSD still allows some slip to occur. If the differential was locked and both wheels rotated at the same speed yes, you will have some very bad understeer. The LSD still allows enough slip to occur to prevent this from occurring (unless you stick a 2-way in you'll have some troubles turning).

well im noow thinking that even though the seller has said it takes the speedo gear it will not, im waiting on pictures from him of the end where the speedo gear attatches to confirm whether it actually does or not

this is what happens when you opt to try a cheap knock off ...... it may not work 100%

I can tell you the quaife slips straight in with no modifications required & given the current exchange rate just save urself the hassle and get the real stuff.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

so i bought an obx lsd the other week but then i bought a whole gearbox two days later with a quaife in it instead for an awesome price, if anyone is keen on the obx unit gimme a msg!0403730371

Hey Daniboy

did you manage to find out if it works with our speedo gears with out any modification? or do our spedos run off the abs ? slightly confused lol..

Regards

dave

Edit: Has any one tried one of these guys yet , im very tempted but every single forum site is saying the build quality is poor and they need to be rebuilt, i wonder if the lsd would be strong enough with our engines in n/a condition.

Has any one done a obx lsd rebuild by any chance ?

Regards

Edited by 2zz corolla

• 2 months later...

PM Me if you need help fitting the OBX I have one installed

Curiosity Matt, does the JDM Runx have a speed signal running from the gearbox? Was diagnosing a problem on a zze122 the other day and was looking at the speed sensors between the Celica, zze122 and zze123; and my zze123 didn't have the speedo sensor in the same place. So just curious if yours is the same or not? Just wondering if the vehicle speed comes from the ABS ECU on the Sportivo. The problem on the zze122 ended up being a broken cluster BTW.

Yea I was not sure my guy who fitted the LSD said we needed it, it was not hard to gest lsd spark eroded and fit the speedo wheel which was on the factory lsd. I think you may not even need it

so i bought an obx lsd the other week but then i bought a whole gearbox two days later with a quaife in it instead for an awesome price, if anyone is keen on the obx unit gimme a msg!0403730371

Hey Daniboy

did you manage to find out if it works with our speedo gears with out any modification? or do our spedos run off the abs ? slightly confused lol..

Regards

dave

Edit: Has any one tried one of these guys yet , im very tempted but every single forum site is saying the build quality is poor and they need to be rebuilt, i wonder if the lsd would be strong enough with our engines in n/a condition.

Has any one done a obx lsd rebuild by any chance ?

Regards

My one looked good quality lots of Honda people run them no need to rebuild after 40,000 km!

Still working good