Paddle shift on the Aurion

Steven

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27173&st=125&gopid=424494entry424494

Damn it feels good, virtually everything fits perfectly! However bad news is that the Aurion airbag don't fit :(

does it show any errors if that airbag not fitted ? or can you get away without it? dont want to comprimise safety without result.

a few developments, and one MAJOR snag.

Have ordered a lexus airbag, and after trying several different auto electricians this morning I finally found one with a plug with the correct pins to fit the clockspring plug (so I can connect up the paddles). Ran the wires to the gear selector, wired up the paddles in parallel, turned the ignition on and put it in S and YES the paddles worked perfectly!

HOWEVER

I went back 10 minutes later, started the ignition however S mode has disappeared!!! Everything is plugged in, but when you put the shifter into S mode after D, it stays in D. I've been testing all the plugs with a multimeter, and trying to find a fuse or relay that could possibly be related however nothing has appeared. Even tried disconnecting the battery, coming back 30 minutes later and still the problem remains. Does anyone have any idea of how I can fix this or even where to look? I'd hate to think I stuffed the ECU but all my work was done with the battery disconnected and not one did I apply any power to wires.

Been pouring over the factory manuals look but still haven't found the cause.

That's quite an interesting issue Steve. If I was working on it, I would try disconnecting either the shifter control or the steering wheel control to see if your issue is rectified. Gotta start somewhere I guess. At least that rules out whether it's a fault you can reverse, or if it's not going back to the way it was.

I have tried all combinations of leaving some things connected and unplugged other things etc, still can't get it to go into S mode. The whole S mode arrangement at the shifter is only 3 wires, which is for S-mode On, gear up or gear down. All of which work by grounding their respective wire in the loom when selected.

I've even tried grounding the S-mode on wire directly to try and trick into going into S-mode... no luck.

Do the error codes get cleared by unplugging the battery anyone? What I'm thinking now is that somehow it lodged an error code and as a result will not allow S-mode to activate until the code is gone (so logic error rather than wiring).

I have tried all combinations of leaving some things connected and unplugged other things etc, still can't get it to go into S mode. The whole S mode arrangement at the shifter is only 3 wires, which is for S-mode On, gear up or gear down. All of which work by grounding their respective wire in the loom when selected.

I've even tried grounding the S-mode on wire directly to try and trick into going into S-mode... no luck.

Do the error codes get cleared by unplugging the battery anyone? What I'm thinking now is that somehow it lodged an error code and as a result will not allow S-mode to activate until the code is gone (so logic error rather than wiring).

reset your ecu man

disconnect batt, stand on brakes/try and start the car, reconnect.

ECU reset didn't fix it. I'm completely out of ideas now. It seems as though I'll simply have to wait until it's on the road again (April-ish next year) and take it to Toyota to have them put that intelligence tester on it. At least I was able to confirm my wiring was correct before it **** itself.

I just don't seem to be having any luck with this swap.

In short I found I had actually blown a fuse under the dash, swapped it out and I have sequential mode again!!! :D

BUT

The steering wheel was grinding against the steering column plastic trim when turning. On closer inspection I've found that the steering wheel is actually warped and the left hand side is pushed back a bit, so it has to go back to the seller (USA) and hopefully a replacement can be sourced. Dammit!

In short I found I had actually blown a fuse under the dash, swapped it out and I have sequential mode again!!! :D

BUT

The steering wheel was grinding against the steering column plastic trim when turning. On closer inspection I've found that the steering wheel is actually warped and the left hand side is pushed back a bit, so it has to go back to the seller (USA) and hopefully a replacement can be sourced. Dammit!

a rough road leads to the stars dude... good luck with it. watching this mod closely.. :)

Did you happen to try your paddles again after replacing the fuse? Wondering whether the fuse was blown when using the paddles?

Yep tried them several times both in s mode and in d , no issues.

Of interest, the resistor values in the steering controls is exactly the same as my stock aurion ones, which means this mod can be done with the stock radio in place

Also forgot to mention - the Lexus wheel is smaller than the Aurion one, and isn't completely round. It's oval shaped similar to a sports steering wheel, wider than it is high.

• 2 months later...

Different shape - havent got the lexus airbag yet to test the plugs

Just had a thought. Is the shape issue and overall thing, or just the different shape around the audio controls?

Wondering whether it would work by swapping out the Lexus audio controls for the stock Aurion ones?

Or maybe I should stop being such a cheapskate and buy the wheel and the airbag? :g:

Different shape - havent got the lexus airbag yet to test the plugs

Just had a thought. Is the shape issue and overall thing, or just the different shape around the audio controls?

Wondering whether it would work by swapping out the Lexus audio controls for the stock Aurion ones?

Or maybe I should stop being such a cheapskate and buy the wheel and the airbag? :g:

There is no cheap way around it I'm afraid - even the controls are a different shape and won't fit.