Pikes Peak

On my recent US trip I visited Pikes Peak, Colorado, site of the second-oldest motor sports event in the country, after the Indianapolis 500. The race climbs nearly 5,000 feet in 10 miles, ending at 14,110 feet above sea level near the summit of Pikes Peak.

gallery_142_73_1120537293.jpg

By comparison, Mt. Kosciusko is only 7,310 feet high.

First run in 1916, the 2005 Race to the Clouds was the 83rd instalment. I didn't plan on being there for the race, but as it turned out I was only one day early. While they were setting up for the race however, there was only one race car at the start line when I got there. Luckily for me it was an AE86 Corolla/Sprinter Trueno, so that's why I'm posting in the Corolla section :) . It is the car of Taka Aono, a famous and well-respected drift racing instructor in the US.

gallery_142_73_1120537373.jpg

gallery_142_73_1120537403.jpg

I think I might go back next year, just to watch the race (even though they start at 5am!!)

gallery_142_73_1120537437.jpg

Hehehe... Is the car number just a coincidence???

:P  :P  :P ...

LOL ... man i didnt notice that before when looking at it

I've got a video of a car (can't remember what rally car) driving up the Pikes Peak, very cool. Looks as if it's going to fall off but the driving was really good. Very inspiring.

I've got a video of a car (can't remember what rally car) driving up the Pikes Peak, very cool. Looks as if it's going to fall off but the driving was really good. Very inspiring.

It that the one of the Peugoet 205, that's an awesome movie, they used to always play it on Wide World of Sports and was one of the most requested movies they ever showed. Mainly because the was no bull sh!t commentary to destroy it, just raw engine and road noise. That movie was one of the things that first got me interested in motorsports... in one word... AWESOME!!!

It that the one of the Peugoet 205, that's an awesome movie, they used to always play it on Wide World of Sports and was one of the most requested movies they ever showed. Mainly because the was no bull sh!t commentary to destroy it, just raw engine and road noise. That movie was one of the things that first got me interested in motorsports... in one word... AWESOME!!!

That was Swedish Rally Legend Ari Vatinen in a purpose built Peugeot 406. That world record time stood for years until Japanese driver "Monster" Kajima broke it in the Suzuki Pikes Peak Escudo.

Sorry a flying Fin :D.

I also have a video of him contesting Rally Australia (WA) in a Subaru Liberty a few years back. Some of the footage is in-car when he's set the fastest time through a forrest stage. Again all you hear is car with no commentry and just watching how fast he's going, so close to trees is just damn scary.

Footage isn't as good as being in the co-driver's seat....

I've done a stage at Rally Australia in 2001 in Petter Solberg's WRX - the grip they get on dirt is phenomenal. Oh, and he hit a pigeon which got stuck in the bonnet scoop.

I watched a vid of pike's peak and the thing that i liked the most was the trucks!!! Seeing a prime mover come out of a corner sideways on the gas is unbelievable... and the way they throw something that big around ain't for the faint hearted!!!

sorry wat do u mean by 'done a stage'?

Evo - by 'done' I mean I was driven around an entire stage, by Petter Solberg, in a WRC WRX at full tilt (as evidenced by the dead pigeon caught in the scoop at the end of the stage). A mate and I won a competition on ch10's RPM program and spent the whole rally as part of the Subaru team. The day after the rally ended, they took us back out to the course and dirt a stage stage for about 20 people, me included, one at a time. Other highlights included getting ****** with Bill Woods and Barry Sheene, and cracking onto Subaru's PR manager. Ive got publicity shots of me in racing suit, helmet and gloves next to and in the car with Petter.

Cougs - Pikes Peak is near Colorado Springs. You'll need a hire car from Denver, and it's about an hours drive south (maybe a touch more). Dress warm for the peak, it can get cold up there! FYI, take the shuttle bus from the airport to Denver, it's a lot cheaper than the taxi, which cost me $48 + $10 tip.