Transmission shift knobs for Aurion

ARIon

Ive seen some nice looking MOMO (and other) transmission shift knobs for autos - namely this one:

Momo Combat Evo Chrome

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-COMBAT-EVO-Chrome-Shift-Knob-Leather-CTECHR-/390256119101?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5add13cd3d#ht_3371wt_939

or this one:

http://www.autoanything.com/shifters/74A3882A0A0.aspx

I played with my knob... *snicker* earlier today in the Aurion to see how its attached, and to my surprise the whole things screws on and off with no nuts or screws required (oh gee the innuendo in this sentence is overwhelming).

So, I just want to know if most aftermarket shift knobs like the above will fit onto the screw shaft of the aurions before I purchase.

Any experience with these?

one thing to be weary of to is make sure the new knob wouldn't be any wider at the base than the factory one. You'll see if you put it in sequential mode how close it comes to hitting the side of shifter surround - Mine already hits so it must be larger than average!

Well I have mixed feelings about aftermarket knobs for the aurion.

Firstly the transmission shaft is quite narrow in comparison to other cars/manual transmission shafts, so the often bulky knobs look out of place on the skinny aurion shaft.

Secondly, as said above, most of them out there look tacky and cheap on a car like the Aurion.

I found one (see below) which I cant decide whether it looks nice or not in the Aurion. Even my mates are giving mixed opinions. Some saying it looks better than stock, while others say it glaringly looks like a cheap aftermarket add-on that you'd put on a ricer.

P.S. I didnt actually buy any of these, but went down to Auto Tek in Tullamarine VIC - best customer service Ive seen in a long time. They told me to drive my car in and pulled out all their knobs and let me play with them and take photos.... see below and tell me what you think! Which do you prefer? Stock or other?

Momo 1 (my favourite of the aftermarket ones)

momoq.th.jpg

Stock (for comparison sake)

stockx.th.jpg

Momo 2 (not a big fan but it matched the interior - not secured on so its sitting a bit crooked)

othervr.th.jpg

Looks very similar to some momo ones out there. I guess the advantage being that its a Toyota one and will fit without having to use adapters/screws etc.

Does it say Camry on the little badge though? I can't make it out. If it does I wouldn't get it.

Check this one out if people are feeling a little adventurous (and have the cash to spend) haha

Illuminated Shift Knob

Does it say Camry on the little badge though? I can't make it out. If it does I wouldn't get it.

it says OBX, like this one

(NB: the picture below is different to the post above)

32098%20OBXleather1.jpg

Edited by u54mot

Have you considered using a Lexus IS350 gear knob? It's slightly different to the Aurion one but of the same shape so would probably be the best fit. I've considered it but it's a low priority compared to other mods at the moment.

Have you considered using a Lexus IS350 gear knob? It's slightly different to the Aurion one but of the same shape so would probably be the best fit. I've considered it but it's a low priority compared to other mods at the moment.

Yeah they do look nice and would probably suit the aurion interior so it is a possibility. The thing is that they can look good in pics on other cars on on their own, but may not look as good until you actually put them on.

Thats what I found with the ones I tried at AutoTek. The Momo Combat Chrome one had...well too much chrome for my liking. It distracted from the rest of the interior rather than complementing it. That lexus one may do the same.

I guess it comes down to personal taste.....speaking of, which one (including stock) do you guys think looks the best from all of the above options?

I personally like the stock one but if I had to choose I would go for the first one, the weird shape of the second is a little to specey for me but like you said its a personal taste thing :clap:

Heres mine....wife reckons it looks like "a screwdriver jammed in the gearbox" lol... i reckon it looks good :D

LOL.

I agree with your wife, it does look like a screwdriver.. with that said, it's pretty cool! B)