WHEN do you change gears

bush1e

Hello all

I have come to the less-than-epiphanic realisation that I don't use the semi-auto transmission gear selector thing enough... actually, I don't use it at all. The aurion is the first auto I have driven, and I just don't have the feel for the gears anymore and have become totally lazy.

So when do you guys select the gear you want? any tips to doing it? How many just cruise around in auto-mode?

I'm all ears

Sigh.

1) The gear shifter on the Aurion is not intended to be a substitute for a manual transmission. It's main purpose is to limit you from going higher than the selected gear for when the situation requires it (towing etc). Sure enough you can use it to shift manually, but realistically, that's not the intended purpose.

2) For those that think that blipping the throttle when changing gears on the Aurion (as discussed in the thread "How do you change gears?") actually improves performance, I've got a challenge for you.

- Take your Aurion to the drags.

- Do a couple of runs with your foot planted to the floor.

- Then do a couple of runs with you doing your throttle blipping procedure.

- Tell me which method gives you a better time.

Hello all

I have come to the less-than-epiphanic realisation that I don't use the semi-auto transmission gear selector thing enough... actually, I don't use it at all. The aurion is the first auto I have driven, and I just don't have the feel for the gears anymore and have become totally lazy.

So when do you guys select the gear you want? any tips to doing it? How many just cruise around in auto-mode?

I'm all ears

bush1e,

I can think of possible reasons why you would possibly use the gear shifter:-

• Towing a heavy load - limiting the range of gear changes puts less strain on the box (Towing 101 - towing a trailer in OVERDRIVE is not the best thing to do for either an auto or manual trannie).
  • You're going up a bleeding steep hill - this may be moot because the auto downshifts anyway. For those who want to utilise max power in the rev band, you can use the gear shifter to select a gear which allows you to access the max power rev band.
  • You're going DOWN a long, bleeding steep hill - limiting gears will help to (slightly?) ease the strain on your brakes. However, bear in mind you ARE driving a petrol, so there's bugger all engine braking anyway and there's always the risk of blowing your engine if you're not careful.
  • You want to feel like you're driving a manual, which you ain't....... but hey, if you wanna pretend you're driving a manual, sure.. whatever floats your boat dude! :P
  • You can limit gear changes so you can do FWD burnouts. I don't know WHY you would WANT to do this though. It's not exactly cool or bright, to be honest. :blink:

Personally, I let the auto shifter do all the work and haven't had any reason to use the gear shifter yet.

Cheers,

BB

Sigh.

1) The gear shifter on the Aurion is not intended to be a substitute for a manual transmission. It's main purpose is to limit you from going higher than the selected gear for when the situation requires it (towing etc). Sure enough you can use it to shift manually, but realistically, that's not the intended purpose.

2) For those that think that blipping the throttle when changing gears on the Aurion (as discussed in the thread "How do you change gears?") actually improves performance, I've got a challenge for you.

The throttle blipping procedure sure gives that manual effect and plus it feels like the car is shooting off the line..but i think i have to agree with you when it comes to a drag of the lights on auto mode, the car gets to the 100 quicker..but i havent done the sequential shifting with the foot planted to the floor, is it faster to the 100 than in auto mode?

Sigh.

The throttle blipping procedure sure gives that manual effect and plus it feels like the car is shooting off the line..but i think i have to agree with you when it comes to a drag of the lights on auto mode, the car gets to the 100 quicker..but i havent done the sequential shifting with the foot planted to the floor, is it faster to the 100 than in auto mode?

I admit I haven't tried this at the drags, so I don't have numbers. But after trying to go through the gears manually with my foot down, I've realised it takes longer then normal for the gear to change.

I just feel that in Auto it changes not only faster but smoother. Only reason one would use the semi-auto would be to down gear from a certain speed and launch instantly, possibly to change lanes/overtaking?... then changing back to auto of course.

I admit I haven't tried this at the drags, so I don't have numbers. But after trying to go through the gears manually with my foot down, I've realised it takes longer then normal for the gear to change.

I just feel that in Auto it changes not only faster but smoother. Only reason one would use the semi-auto would be to down gear from a certain speed and launch instantly, possibly to change lanes/overtaking?... then changing back to auto of course.

yeah i have noticed the car shifts at its very best timings when in auto mode..but i have to admit the thing launches like a bullet when you have it on semi-auto locked to first gear..so that helps to get a good clear lead..then keep an eye on the revs and shift at the right time..while u at it do some throttle blipping to get that manual feeling if required :P ..

Edited by Vijith555

Sigh.

Which drags do you take your Aurion to?

Sigh.

Which drags do you take your Aurion to?

Woops.. When I said "I admit I haven't tried this at the drags, so I don't have numbers."

I should have said, that I haven't BEEN to the drags..