1st gear whining noise

Hi Tocau members

Had a quick question in regards to downshifting from 2nd to 1st.

( I am aware that you should never downshift to first unless at a complete stop)

Today i accidently shifted from second to first at about 20km , i decided to leave the clutch in, while i was slowing down I noticed a wining noise that slowly faded away as the car came to a stop ( vaguely similar to a car running straight cut gears) .

My question is, what is this noise , Is it my syncros being destroyed or some other part being damaged.

Thanks

Dave

i believe it's just the synchros working overtime to prevent you from screwing your gearbox.

if it's a one-off, it wouldn't have done any harm as thats the prupose of the synchros, but just don't make a habit of it!

i believe it's just the synchros working overtime to prevent you from screwing your gearbox.

if it's a one-off, it wouldn't have done any harm as thats the prupose of the synchros, but just don't make a habit of it!

True , cheers. I used to do it alot when i was learning to drive in the car (shift into first at high speed because i was lift obsessed :P). I think i am starting to pay for it now as changing from first to secound when at redline often results in a crunch :( o well thats how you learn i guess :P.

Edited by 2zz corolla

1st to 2nd crunch? U got stock clutch? Replace it..

Yea standard clutch with about 68,000km. Cant the stock clutchs take the torque ? Surely a clutch should still function effectively after 70,000km

so you used to dump it back into first gear?.

I would slow down to about 30km and then put it back into first, so yea it got pretty abused, i didnt rev match it either....... Ive heard its ok to do that kinda stuff though if you rev match? luckily a mate told me that it wasn't a smart thing to do a while back, so he probably saved my box.

poor stivo probably didnt enjoy the days of the L plates.

Dave

Edited by 2zz corolla

Were you accelerating from 2nd and going to 3rd gear, to accidentally shift into 1st gear? If so, just clutch in and shift it to 3rd. Don't wait to drop your speed by riding the clutch as you will cause unnecessary wear and tear.

On the other hand, if you were slowing down and shifted from 2nd to 1st, because your mind was drifting off into space, it's better to just shift the stick into neutral and release the clutch.

Usually can't get it into 1st one your off..

And while on subject on gearboxs I have to pull mine out, and strip it, I'll show pics and explain later why..

Sorry to hear about that, best of luck with repairing gearbox, i look forward to hearing back from you.

Dave, you should be ok. Good thing you've stopped old habits thought... :clap:

Adrian

cheers, i will find out sooner or later if i have damaged it...

• 2 weeks later...

the whirring noise is the syncros trying to slow down the spinning gear. definitely working overtime.

the crunch on change is typical sign of worn syncro rings, or its been filled with wrong oil like royal purple friciton modifier, preventing the syncro rings working as intended

these gearboxes are starting to fail regulalrly and need very early rebuilds, especially from lunatics tyring to bash them thru gears at absurdly high revs. Have seen a few with damaged bearings at less than 100,000km. This is unusual for Toyota boxes, but the 2ZZ is the msot powerful engine that ever was ahead of a C code box