Sportivo Oil Light

Hi,

Just picked up a Corolla Sportivo in Ink, loving it so far.

The orange oil light came on the day after getting the car, I checked the oil immeadiately and it was full. The engine sounded fine so I took it to Toyota.

They messed around for about 2 hours and told me that it is a faulty Oil Level sender and that I would need to bring the car back to be fixed.

My question is, does the sportivo actually have an oil level light and does the above sound correct?

Also, does anyone know where I can download an owners manual from?

Thanks

Brett

Edited by Rolla Sportivo

Hi,

The orange oil light came on the day after getting the car, I checked the oil immeadiately and it was full. The engine sounded fine so I took it to Toyota.

They messed around for about 2 hours and told me that it is a faulty Oil Level sender and that I would need to bring the car back to be fixed.

My question is, does the sportivo actually have an oil level light and does the above sound correct?

Thanks

Brett

hi welcome to the forum! I have heard of another 05' Sportivo owner having the same oil light come on but his comes on after he warms his car up for 5 minutes.

I am not sure what causes this things but they seem more elctrical then mechanical. I am not 100% happy with the 04 Stivo's electrics either. The aircon seems to play up in mine sometimes.

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Hi,

Thanks

Brett

hi welcome to the forum! I have heard of another 05' Sportivo owner having the same oil light come on but his comes on after he warms his car up for 5 minutes.

I am not sure what causes this things but they seem more elctrical then mechanical. I am not 100% happy with the 04 Stivo's electrics either. The aircon seems to play up in mine sometimes.

Z

well i had my car since last Wednesday and now ~1000km on the clock, nothing wrong with mine!!

I had the same problem, it come on when the car is warmed up and the oil pressure is at optium.

I brought the car back to the dealer on thursday to replace the oil level sensor (apparently $380.00 worth) and what happens 5 min after i drive out of the dealer, the light comes on again.

so back to the dealer again to get another one fitted.

<_<

Edited by arcxis

hi welcome to the forum!  I have heard of another 05' Sportivo owner having the same oil light come on but his comes on after he warms his car up for 5 minutes.

I am not sure what causes this things but they seem more elctrical then mechanical.  I am not 100% happy with the 04 Stivo's electrics either.  The aircon seems to play up in mine sometimes.

Z

That is what mine does, once the car warms up the light comes on....

Thanks

Brett

You should be hitting up the dealer for an owners manual, it should have been in the glovebox when you bought the car. Did you get a plastic cover with a service/warranty book?

Thanks

Brett

You should be hitting up the dealer for an owners manual, it should have been in the glovebox when you bought the car. Did you get a plastic cover with a service/warranty book?

Yeah, I did get a paper copy of the owners manual, just after a soft copy to download....

i dont think this seems like much of a problem but was wondering if it is still normal or not my oil light comes on when i start the car then goes a few seconds later

im assuming its meant to do this as the oil drops to the bottom when the car is off then when it starts it all splashes around again

so yeah this is normal right ?????????????? <_<

I am working for Toyota, and picked up my Sportivo not Long ago. Yes there is a problem with the Engine oil sensor, that is not an easy fix. the dealership need to send the car to Auto Electrician, they can not fix in house. If they trying to fix it in house tell them to get lose. I send my to Auto Electrician and the light never come back on again.

I am working for Toyota, and picked up my Sportivo not Long ago.  Yes there is a problem with the Engine oil sensor, that is not an easy fix.  the dealership need to send the car to Auto Electrician, they can not fix in house.  If they trying to fix it in house tell them to get lose.  I send my to Auto Electrician and the light never come back on again.

Can you be a bit more specific about what needs to be fixed?

i dont think this seems like much of a problem but was wondering if it is still normal  or not my oil light comes on when i start the car then goes a few seconds later

im assuming its meant to do this as the oil drops to the bottom when the car is off then when it starts it all splashes around again

so yeah this is normal right ??????????????  <_<

As far as I'm aware, the oil light at start up (along with the airbag light, for example) is part of the car's initial "systems check".

If the light stays on for too long (say, once you're up and moving), then there is an issue.

agree with buddha that unless this light stays on for longer than usual i.e a few seconds after start up then it shouldnt be a problem

thats exactly what it does it stays on for roughly 2 seconds after start up when all the other lights turn off then the oil light turns off

so does that mean there is a problem with my wireing too

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the fix to this problem is not a new sensor but the wiring between the sensor and the instrument cluster.

apparently a batch of sportivos were wired up incorrectly at the plan in SA.

they have to re-wire the car to fix this problem.

bob

the fix to this problem is not a new sensor but the wiring between the sensor and the instrument cluster.

apparently a batch of sportivos were wired up incorrectly at the plan in SA.

they have to re-wire the car to fix this problem.

bob

You're right on the money Bob.

I had the car back to Toyota today and they found the sensor wiring was not plugged in correctly inside the car (either at the computer or the cluster).

Happy the car is 100% fixed now! :)

as in fixed by the oil light not going on at all? or just for a few seconds on ignition?

The oil level light still comes on at start as par of the self check.

It now no longer comes on when the engine reaches operating temp and stays on. (ie it now works properly) :D