Device to read error codes?

I've done some searching, and found out that the Sportivo is either OBD-II compliant or not...haven't seen a straight answer. Also there are some scantools you can buy, but I'm not sure what works and what doesn't.

I'd like to hear from people who actually have a tool that can read the error codes from a Sportivo....last I heard it can cost around $300 for a mechanic to do this for you.

I've done some searching, and found out that the Sportivo is either OBD-II compliant or not...haven't seen a straight answer. Also there are some scantools you can buy, but I'm not sure what works and what doesn't.

I'd like to hear from people who actually have a tool that can read the error codes from a Sportivo....last I heard it can cost around $300 for a mechanic to do this for you.

My mate bought one for his commonwhore, and the sportivo does have a OBD-II plug, but the one he bought off ebay didnt have the right software and couldnt communicate with the car....my advice would be if you are buying one off ebay, be aware that some WILL NOT WORK! Look in this forum and other aus toyota forums too see if anyone else has one that you could "borrow", if all else fails befriend a mechanic with some beers and get a freebie?!?

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind searching on eBay and here to see what comes up...but I'm not really sure of the search words i should use. What is the device called exactly? I've searched for scantool and error codes, but can't seem to find anything specific

Haha I'm not that lucky with mechanics! At least if I know what's wrong with the car I can bring that knowledge when going to a mechanic so I know they won't **** me around

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind searching on eBay and here to see what comes up...but I'm not really sure of the search words i should use. What is the device called exactly? I've searched for scantool and error codes, but can't seem to find anything specific

Haha I'm not that lucky with mechanics! At least if I know what's wrong with the car I can bring that knowledge when going to a mechanic so I know they won't **** me around

Have you tried 'OBD' or OBD 2 or diagnostic tool? BTW what IS wrong with your car?

Have a look at these: http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=OBD+2+toyota&_sacat=0&_odkw=OBD+2&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Edited by Fidz-zze

Fidz-zze I just found a similar tool on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Scan/dp/B001LHVOVK

They seem to be fairly cheap, so I'm willing to try it out. So where exactly do I plug it in?? Is it on the ECU?

Yeah eviltwin, still having issues with the car. Same problem as before (car has lack of power, slow to rev)....I just haven't had time to diagnose it. Thanks for the offer...what area do you live in??

Fidz-zze I just found a similar tool on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Scan/dp/B001LHVOVK

They seem to be fairly cheap, so I'm willing to try it out. So where exactly do I plug it in?? Is it on the ECU?

Yeah eviltwin, still having issues with the car. Same problem as before (car has lack of power, slow to rev)....I just haven't had time to diagnose it. Thanks for the offer...what area do you live in??

you plug it into your obd2 connector, above the accelerator pedal, under the dash...