Aurion Traction Control

Steven

Started my PCB, only things on it so far are the DPDT relays and the wiring connectors for power and sensors. Can't design any further until I get my switch in the mail and see whether it's a momentary or toggle switch. Pics of both my PCB and the switch-to-be attached.

Also Daryl did you try removing the overflow bottle to give yourself more room to access the harness? I popped mine off and fed the plug underneath the brake lines and I figure I have plenty of loom to play with and be sure the connections are solid.

post-13080-0-41530300-1294733123_thumb.j

post-13080-0-74443000-1294733138_thumb.j

post-13080-0-36921400-1294733150_thumb.j

Also Daryl did you try removing the overflow bottle to give yourself more room to access the harness? I popped mine off and fed the plug underneath the brake lines and I figure I have plenty of loom to play with and be sure the connections are solid.

Sure did mate. Worked on it in the same position you have there. It helped, but definitely not enough... well for me anyways to call it 'confident'. I think the fact that all the wires are bunched close together and they are partially twisted is what makes it difficult in the given space.

Man, thanks for thinking I was that great for working with it on the engine side of the actuator. If anyone could do that there, I would give them a beer.

Sure did mate. Worked on it in the same position you have there. It helped, but definitely not enough... well for me anyways to call it 'confident'. I think the fact that all the wires are bunched close together and they are partially twisted is what makes it difficult in the given space.

Man, thanks for thinking I was that great for working with it on the engine side of the actuator. If anyone could do that there, I would give them a beer.

If you had kept quiet you could have gotten away with it :)

Wired mine up at the engine end this morning and ran the harness through the firewall so it's ready for when I my switch turns up. Used some automotive wiring tubing I had lying around to keep everything looking fairly stock, think it worked out well you wouldn't even know it had been touched unless you knew exactly what to look for.

All connections are soldered, heat-shrinked and for good measure wrapped in electrical tape before going in the tubing. Pretty sure it will hold up over time.

post-13080-0-00258700-1294797398_thumb.j

post-13080-0-91455400-1294797412_thumb.j

just pull the plug out like i do lol you get about 5 restarts with it :P

Unfortunately you don't get the flexibility of being able to turn it back on.

On a side note, I have now driven approximately 1000km with the traction control wired to be off. In that time I have covered various roads and spun my wheels heaps. So far there have been no error codes so this option is definitely a goer. Next step will be to see how it reacts to having it switch while the car is running. I will get to that another day though. Tomorrow I plan on helping some mates with the massive cleanup in the next suburb.

On a side note, I have now driven approximately 1000km with the traction control wired to be off. In that time I have covered various roads and spun my wheels heaps. So far there have been no error codes so this option is definitely a goer. Next step will be to see how it reacts to having it switch while the car is running. I will get to that another day though. Tomorrow I plan on helping some mates with the massive cleanup in the next suburb.

Any chance of providing a wiring diagram of this mod, Please? Drew

The wiring will depend on what sort of switch you use, and whether you want it to reset when the car is turned off etc. DJKOR has provided a very useful diagram on the first page which shows which wire is which at the ECU plug in the engine bay which should be plenty to get the ball rolling - in fact it's the hardest part of this mod!

Obviously it's up to DJKOR as to whether he posts a wiring diagram however I'm sure he'd like to get his own version finalised and working 100% first at the very least.

I did try making one but there were two problems. 1) I don't have decent software to make a diagram (don't know of any either), and 2) hand drawing it will be a mess (which I would understand, but others may not). Given the pin layout, I thought you of all people would be able to figure it out though. In that case, I will leave you with this. It is as far as I can get without making it messy:

<<< DISCLAIMER: Following the below diagram is at your own discretion. I will not be held accountable for any damage done to your vehicle or property as a result of this modification >>>

di-1112962815885.jpg

Relay 1:

C1 - ABS ECU FR+

C2 - Speed Sensor RR+

C3 - Speed Sensor FR+

C4 - ABS ECU FR-

C5 - Speed Sensor RR-

C6 - Speed Sensor FR-

Relay 2:

C1 - ABS ECU FL+

C2 - Speed Sensor RL+

C3 - Speed Sensor FL+

C4 - ABS ECU FL-

C5 - Speed Sensor RL-

C6 - Speed Sensor FL-

I did try making one but there were two problems. 1) I don't have decent software to make a diagram (don't know of any either), and 2) hand drawing it will be a mess (which I would understand, but others may not). Given the pin layout, I thought you of all people would be able to figure it out though. In that case, I will leave you with this. It is as far as I can get without making it messy:

<<< DISCLAIMER: Following the below diagram is at your own discretion. I will not be held accountable for any damage done to your vehicle or property as a result of this modification >>>

di-4129508621715.jpg

Relay 1:

C1 - ABS ECU FR+

C2 - Speed Sensor RR+

C3 - Speed Sensor FR+

C4 - ABS ECU FR-

C5 - Speed Sensor RR-

C6 - Speed Sensor FR-

Relay 2:

C1 - ABS ECU FL+

C2 - Speed Sensor RL+

C3 - Speed Sensor FL+

C4 - ABS ECU FL-

C5 - Speed Sensor RL-

C6 - Speed Sensor FL-

Thanks for this, few more questions.

What type of relay you're using?

I assume you're switching from Relay 1 to Relay 2?

Have you try this: Express PCB

Thanks for this, few more questions.

What type of relay you're using?

Relay 1 and Relay 2 are any odd DPDT relay. I'm using these ones to be exact.

I opted for those because even though it's well above the rating I need, I like to be on that side of things. Personally, you can replace the function of Relay 1 & 2 with a single 4PDT relay such as this one.

Relay 3 is just any odd SPST relay. I am using a micro 12V 10A relay for that one.

I assume you're switching from Relay 1 to Relay 2?

Relay 1 and 2 are switched at the same time as per the diagram. One DPDT relay does the speed sensor switch for one side only. You can combine both sides into the one relay by using a 4PDT relay as mentioned above.

Have you try this: Express PCB

Thanks. I'll check it out when I can.

di-4129508621715.jpg

Relay 1:

C1 - ABS ECU FR+

C2 - Speed Sensor RR+

C3 - Speed Sensor FR+

C4 - ABS ECU FR-

C5 - Speed Sensor RR-

C6 - Speed Sensor FR-

Relay 2:

C1 - ABS ECU FL+

C2 - Speed Sensor RL+

C3 - Speed Sensor FL+

C4 - ABS ECU FL-

C5 - Speed Sensor RL-

C6 - Speed Sensor FL-

Thanks

Just some teaser shots of my progress so far.

PCB is currently under construction, made all the more complicated due to the TCS switch being a momentary design rather than On/Off (and as is typical, every time I go to Jaycar for parts I always forget 1 or 2 critical components)

post-13080-0-49236600-1295749050_thumb.j

post-13080-0-58315500-1295749060_thumb.j

The circuit I've put together so that I can use a momentary switch.

After seeing that, I think I'll definitely stick with the circuit we discussed yesterday.

Also, since I am really bored here, I guess I'll work on the electrical diagram so I can make a proper post about this.

The circuit I've put together so that I can use a momentary switch.

After seeing that, I think I'll definitely stick with the circuit we discussed yesterday.

Also, since I am really bored here, I guess I'll work on the electrical diagram so I can make a proper post about this.

Most wise

So after a test run, I have come to the conclusion that the ECU won't even recognise the changeover if you enable/disable TC while the car is stationary. That brief moment when the front sensor input has no connection to it when the relay switches is not enough for the car to notice.

I have not tested this while driving however. I'm not actually concerned about it throwing a code because I have a reader and can clear it as required, but I just don't know if there is the potential for a minor voltage spike when the sensors are switched over while on the move.