Expense of Gearbox Rebuild

Hi All.

I have had 2 quotes for the 5 speed + Rev gearbox to be rebuilt in my 1991 Toyota Corolla Hatch.

One with GST is around 2300 AUD, while the other from at least 2 years ago is 1500 AUD, both including gst.

Both are going to do a new clutch, flywheel machine, the old quote was going to replace 3 synchro cones while the current quote was going to replace all synchros

Given the cost of living and the prevailing decline of the gearbox I would expect the later price to be greater now.

Another quote came from installing a second hand gearbox, with 1295 AUD for the rebuilt gearbox (changeover) + installation fee 500, no clutch replace.

What do I do, I don't feel the job is worth 2300 AUD, and I am confident the gearbox hasn't deteriorated too much in 2 years to warrant all synchros replaced as only contact is occurring on three gears, 1, 2 & 3 when clutching.

Also the cheaper quote is around 30km to city rather the first is 5km, so I think there may be some correlation to premises rent and high prices maybe.

I don't like the idea of a changeover gearbox as it's history can't be tracked, where as if the rebuilt gearbox fails, it's easier to isolate the source of failure

THanks for your time

DMC

Personally i would ring every wreckers in the state i can find off and try get one for 300-500 dollars and pay a mechanic or what ever he wants to change it...

A freind of might bought one about 8 months ago 350$ from a wreckers and hes been using it ever since prefectly fine.

A freind of might bought one about 8 months ago 350$ from a wreckers and hes been using it ever since prefectly fine.

I was just talking to a toyota wrecker and they said the C50 is one of the best 5 spd GB's made by toyota, and the life of it is dependent on the driver. Also they should do more than 350K KM's and the engine would be stuffed but the gearbox would be fine.

I have only rang two wreckers and already they have multiple available with low K's, which may strengthen the argument that it is a strong and durable gearbox, as no one has required to purchase due to no failures and furthermore, the abundance of gearboxes held by the wrecker.

you can purchase a box and have it come with a warranty from a wrecker. This is your best option , if it were me i would buy a replacement box and make sure they will warranty it , replace your clutch and rear main seal while it's out and if they need doing fit a new pair of drive shafts , will be a new car.

just remember that if there is something wrong with the second hand gearbox the wrecker does not cover the labour to remove and refit under warranty, warranty is simply replacement of the gearbox, so if you get a dud one your up for labour all over again. labour to remove and refit a gearbox in one of those corollas is worth 400 max +the cost of oil, i would recommend rebuilding it if you plan on keeping the car for a couple more years! i see people spend more money on second hand boxes being fitted than what a rebuild would have cost all the time.

my opinion, 2nd hand box with labour AND parts warranty!!

When i blew my gearbox, i was quoted 1750 for a 2nd hand box with parts warranty, no labour, instead i chose to get a 2nd hand one for 1250....

also about rebuilds, syncros and all that... its expensive and not worth an old car like that

as a matter of fact, i kinda rebuilt my gearbox on monday :toast:

dont ask how, but a hole accured on the housing of the box, causing oil to leak, i had to strip down the box and replace the housing, Input shaft bearing + seal, Output shaft seal... Drivers side + Passengers side drive shaft seal, Reco driver side complete driveshaft, Oil, o-rings...

in the process, while it was apart i had a peek at the syncros, sall good..., she drives much smoother, reverse no crunch !

Oil $90 :(

Driveshaft $99 :(

Sealant $ FREE :yahoo: lol

O-rings $ FREE :yahoo: lol

Driveshaft Seals GEN $41 :(

Inout shaft seal $ 12

Input shaft bearing $ 55

Output shaft bearing $ 110

post-12108-0-25078800-1295007050_thumb.j

Edited by 123R-Prozak