Service Bulletins from Toyota

It seems that as Toyota customers, Service Bulletins often go unknown until we actually make comment that something actually wrong.

Is there a way I can find out what Service Bulletins are outstanding on my vehicle ?

If asked, will Toyota tell me, whether I intend on having the work done or not ?

It seems that as Toyota customers, Service Bulletins often go unknown until we actually make comment that something actually wrong.

Is there a way I can find out what Service Bulletins are outstanding on my vehicle ?

If asked, will Toyota tell me, whether I intend on having the work done or not ?

Hey mate,

i can’t say whether this is the norm with the entire dealer network or if it comes down to each dealers individual dealer management software system but ours actually brings up any outstanding recalls/ customer service exercises campaigns that haven’t already been carried out on the vehicle. Failing that service advisors using the vin can find out if there’s anything out there at affects your vehicle :)

Quick Question...

On my invoice it states my next service is at 132,000Km but on the sticker on the front windscreen says 135,000Km or 11/8/11...

Which one do I follow?

Edited by Helvetica Rounded

Quick Question...

On my invoice it states my next service is at 132,000Km but on the sticker on the front windscreen says 135,000Km or 11/8/11...

Which one do I follow?

Depends... did you service you car 3,000km earlier than the scheduled service (I'm guessing 117,000km)? If so, the invoice is just what they would have entered in as 15,000km from your most recent service. If not, then they probably put that on your invoice in the hopes that you may stick with it and get it done then. In that case, just stick to the logbook figures.

I've noticed a bit of variation in the way they state when you next service is. Some people tend to write the next logbook defined service interval on the stick and/or the invoice, some go by an estimation of your next odo reading that they guess your car will be at when it would be about time for your next service.

I never follow what they write on those things. When it comes to doing the logbook services for warranty purposes, I just stick with the standard 15,000km or every 6 months... whichever comes first.

Quick Question...

Which one do I follow?

I'd suggest ringing the dealer to double check but in most cases what's written on your invoice is correct, reason for this is that the technician writes up the sticker and with all the different programs a dealer has it's not unreasonable for the tech to simply write the wrong kays down. e.g. even within service advantage there different time structures some car like Aurion are yearly or 15,000kms (under normal environments) where as other cars are 10,000kms or 6 months take into account all the different 3rd party warranties dealer have who have their own different service schedules that maybe be 6,9 or yearly you can see that unless the tech is really thinking about the vehicle and which program the car currently running (service advantage, third party ones like harrier or some other or if it’s just a normal service) then it’s not hard to see that they may get the months or kays wrong. :)

Hey mr_grumble also have a 2009 ZR6 facelift took it in for my 15k service yesterday and as Adamsy said they did a vin search and it came up with nil outstanding recalls i then produced the letter for the led gasket fix and they soon found the recall!! So yeah dont know how we'd go if we had no prior knowledge of the recall.

Hey mr_grumble also have a 2009 ZR6 facelift took it in for my 15k service yesterday and as Adamsy said they did a vin search and it came up with nil outstanding recalls i then produced the letter for the led gasket fix and they soon found the recall!! So yeah dont know how we'd go if we had no prior knowledge of the recall.

Wow that's a little disheartening too here, that's a recall they should know about for starters and secondly Toyota has the technology out there for dealers to use to source this info and it seems in this case it wasn’t used properly? And the Dealer got caught out when you pulled the recall letter out and said well what about this...

Wow that's a little disheartening too here, that's a recall they should know about for starters and secondly Toyota has the technology out there for dealers to use to source this info and it seems in this case it wasn’t used properly? And the Dealer got caught out when you pulled the recall letter out and said well what about this...

Please note the difference between a recall and a customer service exercise:

A RECALL is only for safety issues where the vehicles ability to run, stop or turn is impared, as a result of a know design fault or manufacturing error. Failure by a manufacturer to initiate a recall may lead to injury or damage.

A CUSTOMER SERVICE EXERCISE is for potential functional or regulatory issue, again arising by design or manufacturing. Sometimes they are done on high warranty cost items where the campaign cost works out cheaper than predicted future warranty costs. In this exercise, the fault is very unlikely to possibly lead to damage, let alone injury.

The recall systems will be much more controlled for looking up outstanding recalls, so it is possible that the dealer only looked up recalls and not the service exercises (which is what the rear combination lamp letter was for).

Thanks for the posters who replied to my quick question :-)

I got it serviced at 120,000Km. I've already done 13,500Km in the four months since my last service.

I'll drop into the service centre on Thursday and see if they'd like it serviced now as it's past 132,000Km or when I reach 135,000Km.