[QLD] TOCAU 2011 ANNUAL MEET

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a few days late but better late than never :P

I must say for my second TOCAU annual meet that Brisbane put on an excellent show. Despite the best efforts of the interstaters to bring our weather north with us the rain managed to hold off for all the tasty good bits, and while damp roads do present extra difficulties and challenges I much prefer those to pouring rain and crawling along at 40km/h. Big props out to Daryl, Mick and the rest of the QLD crew for organising the event, SuperDave for letting me crash at his new place and his parents for letting me come round to theirs for a chat when bored and/or hungry, Big Pete for organising the road trip up and the rest of the interstaters for making the drive bearable (especially on the way home).

As usual Charlene survived the trip with a minimum of fuss and problems (it _is_ a Corolla afterall), although it is now clear that my headlights are painfully underpowered and unreliable (ie, they’re ****house), so I think this weekend will entail completely re-wiring them until I can find a decent set of BZ Touring crystals to replace them. Great to catch up with the QLDers and Victorians that I met last year at the Sydney meet as well as putting faces to forum names from those whom I hadn’t previously met, as well as seeing cars in person rather than in photo. Nebo run delivered even more than promised, makes us realise how lucky you guys are to have such excellent long driving roads so close to the city. Tambo cruise, whilst not as frenetic or exhilarating as Nebo, still provided many funs (and frustrations, [cough]Micra/Vitara[/cough]), reminded me a lot of Macquarie Pass/Kangaroo Valley for those from NSW. Go Karts were a lot of fun too, despite my first-timer status and being possibly the heaviest + tallest (my knees-out driving position sure wasn’t comfortable, nor stylish, nor effective) there I managed to not embarrass myself and wasn’t far off the podium in the final race before the red mist descended and chaos ensured.

So, next year in Jerusalem for the Sexeteria?

P.S for those keeping track, I went through essentially 4 full tanks over the course of the weekend

Tank 1: Beresfield to Broadwater (NSW) – 6.6L/100km

Tank 2; Broadwater to Capalaba (morning of Tambo cruise) – 7.6L/100km (includes late night Nebo run and drive to Show n Shine + dinner)

Tank 3: Capalaba to Grafton – 6.7L/100km (includes Tambo cruise + karts + dinner run + night photoshoot

Tank 4: Grafton to Mayfield – 7.2L/100km (includes crawling in queue at Woolgoolga due to flooding/roadworks for an hour, crawling through monsoon conditions between Coffs and Taree, and driving to/from work for 2 days)

Not bad when factory figures are 6.6 highway 8 city

A bit late but 'twas an awesome experience!! My first ever attendance at an annual meet (my graduation didn't stop me :lol:).

Big props to Daryl, Mick and "Uncle Brendan" for their wonderful work and planning, and thanks for those that helped out in their little ways! :toast:

It was good to finally meet and put faces to names, people that I have been talking to on the forums!

Can't wait for the next annual; hell I guess we better start planning! :D

In addition,

I'm finally home!

A big thanks to the staff at Motel Moffat for putting up with me

The video will be up by end of the weekend ;).......hopefully.