Brand new Corolla Ascent Auto... excessive fuel consumption?

Hi guys,

I bought 2 weeks ago, taking advantage of the last days of the 2.9% offer, a brand new Corolla Ascent Auto. It seems like an awesome little car, but I noticed a few "issues" that only you "experts" can tell me if they are normal or not. I would be really grateful if you could give me an answer to the following:

On a city cycle (not always busy, also going around in the night or short parts of freeway) the average fuel consumption is 12L/100Km... that's what the computer tells me and the same results from my calculations... it seems WAY too much? Is it normal? What can it be?

When 2nd gear enters the engine simply doesn't give power.... 1st gear is pretty fun to drive, but on the 2nd gear at low rpms the car doesn't accelerate promptly even at full throttle! What can it be?

The automatic-folding rearviewmirrors are not so automatic. Basically as soon as I remove the key the button doesn't operate anymore... it's very silly because if I fold them before being ready to leave the car, I'm not able anymore if there are cars coming from behind... I would have expected to be able to fold them with the car off or, even better, automatically as soon as I close the central locking with the key or the remote...

Thanks in advance for answering to some of my questions!

... and pleased to be part of the club!

12L/100km doesnt sound right. That'd be all out hitting redline through your gears all day everyday. How many km's are you getting from your tank? 500-550km is about normal in mixed conditions. Think i average 6.5L/100km. The average fuel consumption reading isnt always accurate, but if you want, reset it (hold the button in for a few seconds) before you drive for the day (resets it back to 0L/100km) and see what it is when the day is through.

I have manual transmission so i cant comment on the changing of 1st to 2nd gear in auto.

And i dont have auto-fold mirrors so can comment on that either. sorry mate.

Your fuel consumption sounds very wrong a friends of mine has the same car and he was getting 7.5L/100km city driving...

That's what I would expect, as well. I tried to reset the thingy 3/4 times and the average on 50-70kms always comes out around 11.5-12L/100km and the calculation made on the litres/money spent gives me the same answer, so it's not just a matter of "tuning" the computer. It just drinks a lot!

How does that computer calculate the average consumption? On the basis of what kind of parameters?

I have to take it to the dealer for the 1st month free service in 2 weeks. I will raise that problem for sure...

Any idea about the lame 2nd gear???

i would definately be telling them at your first service how many km have you done i know that once its run in it shoul drink that much but 11.5/12L to 100km is a bit too much for my liking for the 2nd gear issue when you change from 1st to 2nd what do you mean that i just doesnt want to go it sounds unusual for it to be slugish in 2nd reslly shouldnt be like that...

i would definately be telling them at your first service how many km have you done i know that once its run in it shoul drink that much but 11.5/12L to 100km is a bit too much for my liking for the 2nd gear issue when you change from 1st to 2nd what do you mean that i just doesnt want to go it sounds unusual for it to be slugish in 2nd reslly shouldnt be like that...

yup, its auto gear, but it kicks in very well when I start at the light for example, but it dies when it puts in 2nd gear... that's wat I mean. As soon as it goes up with rmpms again it goes better, but 2nd gear at low rpms is very slugish...

This is abit different but about the gear change. Whenever i drive the Yaris and change to second (its manual) it doesnt really go either, even when its flat on the floor. Though its a smaller engine, Im guessing theres just no torque down in low rpm?

i would like to add as well my car does around 450kms on a full tank and the avg fuel consumption is around 9.4 more or less depending on how i drive. also wondering if that's how the car really is, i kinda expected better result but seeing the newer 2010-11 models the specs says 9.7 city urban driving, so does that mean i'm doing ok? :blink:

i would like to add as well my car does around 450kms on a full tank and the avg fuel consumption is around 9.4 more or less depending on how i drive. also wondering if that's how the car really is, i kinda expected better result but seeing the newer 2010-11 models the specs says 9.7 city urban driving, so does that mean i'm doing ok? :blink:

same here. i get about 430km on a full tank...i do accelerate hard often, but i dont really speed or things like that..

my avg is around 10.9 city but thats because i drive like its stolen... high way i get 6.9

mums got the new ascent her avg is around 10.2 and she doesnt thrash it at all i dotn think she ever shifts past 3k rpm so i rkn its got something to do with the tranny i guess if your foots always lightly on the pedal your constantly using fuel how ever if you step sligtly harder and roll alot more you will end up using less.. thats what ive noticed. you can try it out just look at the active fuel consumption metre when driving.

side note my fried has a auto conquest and he manages to get 7.8-8.3 city.

Think max i squeezed out was 620km with super grandma-spec driving. *was trying to save petrol and max out my km's* lol

350-400 seems quite low for a new car. Being 1.8ltr as well, should be quite economical. Try doing a days worth of highway/freeway driving and see what your average is, and how many kms you squeeze out.

My old 93' Celica got 350km a tank, because i had a lead foot. And 400-450km when i baby'd it.

This morning I called my dealer to ask about the fuel consumption issue and he told me that it takes a couple of full tanks in order for the engine to settle.

I will bring it in in 2 weeks for the complimentary service (1st month) and will see. Anyhow today I filled up the tank and will make new calculations, but dealer's explanation didn't really convince me... 12l/100km just sounds WRONG to me... even if it goes down to 11 it would anyway be way to much for the way I drive the car.

Make a list of all the issues your having so that way when you book your car in for the free 1000 Km "Service/Inspection" you can tell them all the problems your having...

That does sound a bit high. Like others have said above, check it out with Toyota when you do your first service or even as soon as you can (if you want).

Another option is to reset the ECU? Just a suggestion!