Androids

SecaBoy

So all you non-iPhone geeks.....

What is the best phones for androids??

Last I saw the samsung galaxy was the best.

Not looking at ditching the iPhone just yet, but I've decided to stop being stubborn and see what else is on the market. Lol.

I love my iPhone and don't want to change, but I would like to play with Andriod for a while. Anyone got some tips?

which HTC model is the best one?

is there like "THE" site for androids phones?

wanna learn more about apps/etc... wanna see whats out there... :D

The Galaxy gets rave reviews all the time and personally, I can see why. However I'm just not a fan of that OLED screen. Each to their own though. I think the best way to see what suits you best is to go to a few phone stores or find some mates with different phones.

The one main drawback of most of the Android phones out there is the stuff the manufacturer adds on top of it. This can usually slow it down a bit and ruin the experience. Because of that, I will warn you to stay away from Sony Ericsson. They bloat theirs quite a bit. It was amazing how much more I got out of it when I flashed a custom firmware onto it.

As for your last question, xda-developers is where it's at.

Ausdroid - an Australian website for Android users.

The one main drawback of most of the Android phones out there is the stuff the manufacturer adds on top of it. This can usually slow it down a bit and ruin the experience. Because of that, I will warn you to stay away from Sony Ericsson. They bloat theirs quite a bit. It was amazing how much more I got out of it when I flashed a custom firmware onto it.

The X10 wasn't great, but the Xperia Arc is getting a lot of good reviews, you should take a look at that.

I can say that the Samsung Galaxy S for me was the perfect choice. All I recommend though is to check out the phones and their features and figure out which phone suits you best. I picked the Samsung for it's longer battery life (not the best but better than the other smart phones) as I'm used to using Nokia's.

i am using a galaxy S atm and it pretty good. sometimes laggy but i blame it on the little stupid apps that i dont even use that slow down the phone. i'm going to find a way how to flash the firmware to make it faster cuz sometimes its just ridiculous

this is the general consensus i'm getting from everyone... its slow/laggy/'unrefined' compared to the iphone...

i still wouldnt mind having a play with one though...

thanks for the links, i'll check them out... :)

update: i just tried the "rooting of the OS" and used titanium backup and uninstalled some useless programs. phone's speed as increased dramatically... plus i got more space to play with on the sd card :)

u dont know unless u start playing with it. i say its worth a shot ;)

goodluck mate :)

Love my Galaxy S. I bought it over the iMoan because you can remove/replace the battery with a freshly charged item (can purchase optional Dock for this) and everyone goes on and on about how awesome iPhones are when i wanted something a bit different , the Android system is excelent but i reckon if your not technically savvy or close to someone that is it may not be for you , Ash i know your about as savvy as they come so it would suit you perfectly.

The Eclair version of Android that was on my phone was good to begin with but got very slow after some time , after updating it through Kies ( bitch to make use of but good once it works ) to Froyo i was really pleased with the performance improvement.

Now that my phones rooted i can install any software i like it doesn't need a Samsung approved digital signature and im also running a custom cooked rom thats got a brilliant GUI and some good features with excelent performance including battery life.

All in all what ever you buy you'd be pleased with as most phones coming out of the woodwork are similar to the Galaxy and the Iphone etc pending what you want.

My brother and his mate both got a Galaxy S, both have been in repairs twice due to them freezing constantly.One came back from repairs and the next day the problem happened again.

update: i just tried the "rooting of the OS" and used titanium backup and uninstalled some useless programs. phone's speed as increased dramatically... plus i got more space to play with on the sd card :)

Once you root it, then the fun really begins. I recently flashed my X10 with the CyanogenMod and boy was it like a whole new makeover. Things run so smooth on it now that it makes me prefer Android again for productivity. The following benchmark gives an example... and nefore that, it was pretty much spot on with the SE X10 benchmark on the graph:

di-3130320375311.jpg

Now that they have cracked the bootloader for this phone, things can only get better. When I have the time, I am going to start tweaking it more. Gotta love those out there that are generous enough to develop stuff like this.

In terms of day to day use though, I still prefer my iPhone because of how fluid everything is.

Gorgz. I've had the 2g, 3G, 3GS and now the 4 (well technically I've had two 4's lol). And I will no doubt buy the 5 as well.

But I'm wanting to try something as a 'secondary' phone/toy. I am trying to see if work will let me BYO a HTC android phone to connect so I can get my emails on it, but I'm fighting a losing battle with that. Lol.

Anyway. Thanks for the responses. Gonna have to do some more research before I jump in to it. Seems like an 'out of the box' android will just sh!t me to tears and I'll have to tinker with it to get it working to a standard I'd enjoy using. :(

Failing the androids being an option, I might just get a cheap blackberry for work.

Orrrrrrrrrr. I could just spend the money on the car instead. Lol. Can't have any pesky toyotas keeping up with me at the national meet. :P hehehe

update: i just flashed my phone firmware again with the gingerbread 2.3.3 firmware. the phone is now super fast... i'm now searching for other custom roms that dont have all the useless junk as this one is the official one from google. just as fast and as fluid as the iphone. +10 pts! Ggg.gif

u really can't expect any smart phone these days to come out of the box and NOT "s*** you to tears" :lol:

The best phone out there with the Android imo is the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S II. Apart from that the Galaxy S, LG Optimus 2x, Motorola Atrix, or HTC Sensation. It just depends how much money you are willing to spend on a phone.

the iphone annoyed me a little out-of-the-box... but it i could have lived with it..

by the sounds of everything that people are telling me and what i've read on the interwebz, then the android would annoy me to the point where i'd throw it at something...

i got the reply from work that they can hook me up to the network if i "BYO" a htc or a blackberry... (iphone is only allowed if you're a 'top manager' LOL)

so i'm gonna go look at the htc over the weekend... failing that, i'll just deal with a cheap blackberry.. :)

the iphone annoyed me a little out-of-the-box... but it i could have lived with it..

by the sounds of everything that people are telling me and what i've read on the interwebz, then the android would annoy me to the point where i'd throw it at something...

i got the reply from work that they can hook me up to the network if i "BYO" a htc or a blackberry... (iphone is only allowed if you're a 'top manager' LOL)

so i'm gonna go look at the htc over the weekend... failing that, i'll just deal with a cheap blackberry.. :)

OR if u lived in melbourne. get a galaxy s and i'll do all the work for you and then u can open a can of WHOOP A$$! :lol:

Having used (and owning) both, all I can say is android makes me sad. Yeah, its a lot more 'open' but this is also its downfall, because you can do whatever you like to it and there is no set of rules, the quality of the apps (app store and bundled) and the hardware makes the overall experience vary wildly.

Having used (and owning) both, all I can say is android makes me sad. Yeah, its a lot more 'open' but this is also its downfall, because you can do whatever you like to it and there is no set of rules, the quality of the apps (app store and bundled) and the hardware makes the overall experience vary wildly.

i agree with this.

now for me, the only reason iphone > android is that the apps are far more superior than the apps on android atm. but then again, the apple os has been around longer than android so cant really compete. only time will tell?

Iphone 5 isnt coming out june/july got delayed 6 months because of japan floods.

Iphone> All

Bad points is battery sux.

the 'iphone 5' will really be an iphone 4GS. Apple wont do a major redesign for another year at the very least.

Iphone> All

This is the mentality that I got from everyone that had one which is what created my dislike for it.

When I first got it, I would have agreed but now, I tend to disagree. I use it quite a bit during the day and usually have it down to 30% by bed time, which is decent I would say. That said, my Android phone with moderate usage can make it to a few days before needing a charge.

On a side note Ash, if anyone is in the market for Android, take a look at a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. I have some mates who agree with me on the faults of hte X10, and they say the Arc is a massive improvement.

Iphone> All

This is the mentality that I got from everyone that had one which is what created my dislike for it.

When I first got it, I would have agreed but now, I tend to disagree. I use it quite a bit during the day and usually have it down to 30% by bed time, which is decent I would say. That said, my Android phone with moderate usage can make it to a few days before needing a charge.

On a side note Ash, if anyone is in the market for Android, take a look at a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. I have some mates who agree with me on the faults of hte X10, and they say the Arc is a massive improvement.

They advertised on tv for the Xperia Arc A LOT in japan... it was even through NTT do co mo... *looks at daryl*

I got a SGS rooted and running Darky's Rom v9.5 with Launcher Pro (full version)

damn its fast compare to Samsung's launcher software which is clunky and lagging like hell... :rolleyes: