OBD Scanner

Hey forum. I was doing some research regarding OBD scantools and was wondering if anybody knows which scantool/reader will work on the JDM 2zz Allex. Any info is appreciated.

Hey forum. I was doing some research regarding OBD scantools and was wondering if anybody knows which scantool/reader will work on the JDM 2zz Allex. Any info is appreciated.

Grab a drink and have a read

What year model car is it mate?

Most cars from 1996 were compatible with OBDII

Just check around near your steering wheel its usually just under it, its not that hard to find

It will be pretty obvious when you find it.

You have any options here, but I will go the 3 cheapest

- OBD II to USB

- OBD II to Bluetooth

- OBD II to WiFi

We'll start with the USB

eBay is your best friend here

An OBDII tool will run you about $20 and work from a USB port on your computer

You will need software such as

http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/pcmscan/index.php

or

PLX Logger (Google)

The OBD II Bluetooth is another option

I personally haven't used it. They are a bit more expensive

And I would be a bit more hesitant getting Bluetooth to work, as it is a lot of stuff around. Personnally mate, avoid Blueooth OBD

The OBD II Wifi option is a good one.

If you have an iPhone or iPod touch there is a really good application called Rev.

It displays all the data and just works perfectly.

A WiFi OBD II is about $70 for a China one and about $150 for a genuine one

The genuine one is called Kiwi Wifi OBD

The WiFI also works with a laptop if you have the right software mate. Just like a USB.

Honestly up to you and your budge mate.

For OBD tools you can spend thousands and it really depends what you want and need to do from the OBD system.

If all you need to do is view and log data a USB cable and some software will suffice

But if you wanna take the step up and have an iPhone or iPod touch, the WiFi option is great with the Rev software and works fantastically

Do a bit of googling and research, watch a few videos and you will find what is right for you

Let me know if you need any more info, happy to help you out (:

Edited by RollaRollin

just recieved the OBD-II cable from an ebay seller today. i plugged it in my stivo thinking it will work... no it didn't apparently its got something to do with the protocol that came out of SA. why the hell would they do little differences to the model while its still called a zze? cheaper production? whatever! i see it being cheaper keeping all the variances the same! :angry:

rant over

Thanks alot for taking the time to respond in the way you did.

My car is a 2002 2zz Toyota Allex (JDM model).

I posed the question here because I read that many of the regular scanners

don't work with JDM vehicles.

I read your response and am thinking about just getting an OBDII to USB cable

and some software.

Can you recommend a proper cable?

Hi there,

At least for the 1ZZFE engines, the protocol and the pinout are different than OBDII and its not a complete standard so that's why it doesn't work. So we gave up. You have to rewire everything in order to have link and then to test the protocols (if they work)

I even asked Toyota about the protocol and the pinout of the connector and they refused to give that information. In a couple of days i have to go to the dealership, and I'll ask there what scanner they use, may be I can get some useful information

Cheers

AB

Edited by Hikaru Sorano

i was looking at this DLC3 scanner

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/451339063/Auto_Scanner_MVCI_OBDII_DLC3_diagnostics.html

it claims it works on MOST toyotas from 1996. it doens't say about any other makes/models so i'm guessing this would be the correct one?

in comparison to this one which i already have

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/V1-4-ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-CAN-BUS-Diagnostic-Scanner-USB-/110685966882?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c565d222

the only procotol the latter does not list is the

"CAN 2.0B ISO 11898"

OR. if ur really serious, rip out some dosh for this baby here... LOL

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/347207474/DENSO_toyota_intelligent_ii.html

DEFINATELY will work on every toyota there is ;)

hikaru, is your 1zz-fe corolla is a japanese import? i'm going to try the latter on a japanese 1zz-fe and see if that works. can u also let us know which number pins are occupied in your car? for our corollas its pins: 4-7,9,13,14,16

from a website here

http://www.auterraweb.com/obdiipinout.html

i have 2 possiblities which protocol 2zz-ge uses...

CAN PROTOCOL PINS:

5 - Ground

6 - Data

14 - Data

16 - Power

ISO/KWP PINS:

5 - Ground

7 - Data

15 (optional - can be present/not present) - Data

16 - Power

i believe the zze corollas have the CAN protocol according to this pdf here

http://www.nrgizerbunny.com/supercharger/diagrams/vsc2.pdf

more to come in developments...

More on what Kenshin said.

He purchased one of these. The USB OBD that I referred to.

It didn't work on his Sportivo because it was made in South Africa and does not fully support the OBDII protocol.

Which is absolutely B/S because it by all means should be universal and the same for most cars in production.

I have no idea about your car KevMan.

But my advice is get the cable from eBay and give it a shot.

Its $23 delivered and if it dosen't work, I'm sure someone on the forum would buy it off you.

I can hook you up with the software mate. ($99RRP but free for you :D)

Unless you have a mate who has one, just take the dive and grab it, its your best bet

I have my OBD USB cable on the way (I have never used one as I have the WiFi version)

I will let you know how it goes and I am very excited to test it.

Just wish it would hurry up and get here.

If your hesitant, do a bit of research,

I'm sure there would be info on your car somewhere on the interweb

Keep up posted and Kenshin and I will keep you posted on what we find as well (:

Cheers

Callum

I had to design one of these in uni.

We had to write up a program which would then translate information from an ECU and give back information on engine temperature, speed, acceleration vs time, fault codes etc.

I remember you could buy a kit from Jaycar and build the scan tool between the ECU and your PC, we had to build one so that the information from the EML 327 protocol didn't damage the RS232 port on our laptop. Kit costed around 19 bucks all up.

If you want a program like ours too, you can find a whole heap of open source code online that helps out with that stuff, even runs etc. if your into that kind of stuff.

anyways, good luck :)

I had to design one of these in uni.

We had to write up a program which would then translate information from an ECU and give back information on engine temperature, speed, acceleration vs time, fault codes etc.

I remember you could buy a kit from Jaycar and build the scan tool between the ECU and your PC, we had to build one so that the information from the EML 327 protocol didn't damage the RS232 port on our laptop. Kit costed around 19 bucks all up.

If you want a program like ours too, you can find a whole heap of open source code online that helps out with that stuff, even runs etc. if your into that kind of stuff.

anyways, good luck :)

easier is that YOU CAN MAKE ONE YOURSELF AND FOR OUR CARS???? :P

hikaru, is your 1zz-fe corolla is a japanese import? i'm going to try the latter on a japanese 1zz-fe and see if that works. can u also let us know which number pins are occupied in your car? for our corollas its pins: 4-7,9,13,14,16

Kenshin:

the engine is produced in Brazil, It's supposed to be the same one you have, but.....

The pins we have wired are 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12 and 16 and in theory the protocol should be ISO9141-2. When we connected the scanner, the computer did not recognize anything connected to the port. I guess is due to the different pins we have. An idea was to build an interface to have your pinout in order to have link.

Dealerships have their scanners and i dont believe they had to adapt those....<_<

The project is in stand-by till we have new ideas.

Cheers

AB

Edited by Hikaru Sorano

my ECUDatascan works on the ZZE122's, dont know anyone with a ZZE123 close by to test it on. I've seen a Blitz RVIT working on a south african made ZZE123